ATI Firepro V4800, Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

gerbil927

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Can i put an ATI Firepro V4800 GPU on a Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 motherboard. I've had a look at the various manufacturer's websites and my initial findings suggest that you can't. However I believe from reading this forum that the Firepro v4800 is very similar to the Radeon 5670 which may be supported. I'm trying to build myself a CAD capable workstation on a student budget and am new to building computers, so any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

gerbil927

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

Thank you for your reply.

Being a newbie I think I was getting a little confused with the crossfire capability. I now realise I should be able to disable the onboard graphics and set the bios to recognise the v4800. I have seen mention of a 'vga switch card' in other areas of this forum, would I need one of these for it to work?

I am still collecting the components for the build and am planning on purchasing at least a 600w psu which I hope will be enough.

Also I'm new to forums so apologies if this is posted in the wrong thread.

The VGA switch card for that motherboard is nothing more than a half height card that takes up the top PCI-E slot when you are running only 1 card. 1 card setups go in PCI-E 2. Switch card has to be there tho.

You should not even have to disable onboard video, once the motherboard detects the card, it will swap over to using it. In theory at least, I've seen times when it failed to do that but that is rare.

You don't need any other card, just get the V4800 (which is a card we use in some systems at my work BTW), plug it in, will work. I don't even think those cards need that high of a PSU, the systems we run it on here have about a 400 watt power supply. And the V4800 does not have an external power plug either, which means it will be using at most 60-70 watts max.

But a 600 watter is good to have anyway in case you want to upgrade again later.

gerbil927

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Thanks vrumor and hang-the-9 for your quick responses.

However, I am still a little unclear as your posts seem to contradict each other.

Hang-the-9 seems to suggest I wouldn't need a VGA switch card whereas vrumor states that I do.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Prasadcge

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

Currently i am using 450w SMPS...and Graphic Card needs 350w or higher power supply { http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/ati... }..and more over im using 2 " Harddisks " 320GB and 1TB " Segate ".... my graphic card requires PCI Express® 2.0 x16 and my motherboard Mercury PIG41z { http://www.mercury-pc.com/product-detail.php?link=p-mainboards&subtitle=Mainboard&productid=992# }has PCI Express 1.0 x16...finally my doubt is Does it make any sense using this requirements for my graphic card...