Game can't find game cd in cd-rom drive for any EA Games

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Can some help me out? I'm desperate to play MOHPA and can't. Error
message states that cd #1 not in drive, when it is. Even when I insert
disk and autoplay brings up menu it can't find cd.

Just changed motherboard and video card to play and now this stinking
error message.

I play BF1942, BF vietnam, MOHAA War Chest.

All games played ok until I bought Vietnam and had to upgrade my system.

XP-Pro, Athlon 2200, 512 ram, 256 video, PLextor cd drive, 2 hard drives.

Thanks,
Ray

> Just changed motherboard and video card to play and now this stinking
> error message.

Most obvious thing I can think of is check the cables to make sure your
ribbon isn't on backwards (some don't have the notch) and make sure you
didn't offset or bend a pin. Even though we've all done hardware upgrades a
hundred times we've probably all bent one pin in our lifetime. I also had a
similar problem because I didn't tie the ribbon cable up and it was able to
contact the CPU fan one time. That contact caused a razor thin cut across
the cable which you couldn't see unless you bent the cable just "so" but was
enough to give me a headache for a week chasing down the bug.

After that, I'd say install another CD drive if you have one laying around.

good luck!!
George

bug

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:06:01 GMT, Ray <rhurst@jps.net> wrote:

>Can some help me out? I'm desperate to play MOHPA and can't. Error
>message states that cd #1 not in drive, when it is. Even when I insert
>disk and autoplay brings up menu it can't find cd.
>
>Just changed motherboard and video card to play and now this stinking
>error message.
>
>I play BF1942, BF vietnam, MOHAA War Chest.
>
>All games played ok until I bought Vietnam and had to upgrade my system.
>
>XP-Pro, Athlon 2200, 512 ram, 256 video, PLextor cd drive, 2 hard drives.

Any chance that you made a hardware configuration to the system after
you installed the game that caused a change in the CD-ROM drive letter?

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I did make hardware changes. The cd used to be F: drive and now is D:
drive. But I installed MOHPA after the change, and tried reloading the
others. Could it be a copy protection system?

Thanks
Ray

bug wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:06:01 GMT, Ray <rhurst@jps.net> wrote:
>

>>Can some help me out? I'm desperate to play MOHPA and can't. Error
>>message states that cd #1 not in drive, when it is. Even when I insert
>>disk and autoplay brings up menu it can't find cd.
>>
>>Just changed motherboard and video card to play and now this stinking
>>error message.
>>
>>I play BF1942, BF vietnam, MOHAA War Chest.
>>
>>All games played ok until I bought Vietnam and had to upgrade my system.
>>
>>XP-Pro, Athlon 2200, 512 ram, 256 video, PLextor cd drive, 2 hard drives.
>

> Any chance that you made a hardware configuration to the system after
> you installed the game that caused a change in the CD-ROM drive letter?

Andy

Had the same problem with this and other EA games discs the problem seems to
involve having more than two cd/dvd drives.
If you haven't got more than two physical drives have you got any virtual
drives?
I have two physical drives, DVD r/w and DVD ROM also one virtual drive via
Alcohol 120%.
My problem was instantly solved when I changed my Alcohol 120% virtual drive
from one to zero.

Cheers
Andyjay.

"Andy" <andyjay1974@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Had the same problem with this and other EA games discs the problem seems
> to involve having more than two cd/dvd drives.
> If you haven't got more than two physical drives have you got any virtual
> drives?
> I have two physical drives, DVD r/w and DVD ROM also one virtual drive via
> Alcohol 120%.
> My problem was instantly solved when I changed my Alcohol 120% virtual
> drive from one to zero.

I've got 6 Alcohol virtual drives enabled, all of them contain an image for
the games I play most often (saves so much time hunting for discs).

I seem to recall that sometimes a game doesn't like it when you use the 2nd
CD drive. If you have CD drives on D and E then always install from D...
Use the first one, as this is often the one it checks.

You could also check the DMA settings for the drive, but I don't think that
would be the problem.

> Phew!!
> Jesus I thought my setup was complicated!!
> How the hell do you manage?
> Thanks for all the info I obviously need a serious look again at my system
> and see where I am going wrong.

That's not complicated... It's just a case of having to much spare time to
play with gadgets. :)

Trust me, you don't want to see the wiring in my house.