user accounts and internet connection

I have a home PC with Win XP Professional and Internet Explorer 6. I
have a dial-up internet connection, set up at the time by someone from
my ISP. Now I want to make a second user account on the PC, which I
would want to use the same dial-up connection.
I seem to run into problems. Is it possible, that the first user
account or dial-up connection was set up in such a way, that later
user accounts on the PC can not use that same dial-up connection? And
how can I rectify that?
Thanks in advance
Roger.
3 answers Last reply
More about user accounts internet connection

    Keep a Dial-Up Connection Open for All Users
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/tips/theriot1.mspx

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Roger Van Loon" wrote:

    | I have a home PC with Win XP Professional and Internet Explorer 6. I
    | have a dial-up internet connection, set up at the time by someone from
    | my ISP. Now I want to make a second user account on the PC, which I
    | would want to use the same dial-up connection.
    | I seem to run into problems. Is it possible, that the first user
    | account or dial-up connection was set up in such a way, that later
    | user accounts on the PC can not use that same dial-up connection? And
    | how can I rectify that?
    | Thanks in advance
    | Roger.

    Thanks, Carey, I did look it up, but I don't think that my problem is
    the same.
    My problem is that the second user account can't connect to the
    Internet at all, using that same dial-up internet connection that was
    set up by the original user. (Nothing to do with fast user switching).
    I suppose that, when this first user account was configured, in the
    New Connection Wizard, the option "use this account name and password
    when anyone connects to the internet from this computer" was
    unchecked, and/or elsewhere the option was checked: "Save this user
    name and password for the following users: me only". Can this be
    undone (by the original user account)?
    Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm a newbie.
    Thanks again,
    Roger.

    --
    There's more than money to be looked for in this short life of ours

    hi roger,
    I like you are having the same problem. I don't want to have to be on call
    as administrator every time someone in my household wants to get an internet
    connection under their user account but I don't want to give them access to
    my account just to log on. Have been through so many questions and answers
    and none seems to relate to what seems to be our problem. Have you found any
    answers yet?

    "Roger Van Loon" wrote:

    > Thanks, Carey, I did look it up, but I don't think that my problem is
    > the same.
    > My problem is that the second user account can't connect to the
    > Internet at all, using that same dial-up internet connection that was
    > set up by the original user. (Nothing to do with fast user switching).
    > I suppose that, when this first user account was configured, in the
    > New Connection Wizard, the option "use this account name and password
    > when anyone connects to the internet from this computer" was
    > unchecked, and/or elsewhere the option was checked: "Save this user
    > name and password for the following users: me only". Can this be
    > undone (by the original user account)?
    > Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm a newbie.
    > Thanks again,
    > Roger.
    >

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > > Keep a Dial-Up Connection Open for All Users
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/tips/theriot1.mspx
    > >
    > > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > >
    > > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > >
    > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >
    > > "Roger Van Loon" wrote:
    > >
    > > | I have a home PC with Win XP Professional and Internet Explorer 6. I
    > > | have a dial-up internet connection, set up at the time by someone from
    > > | my ISP. Now I want to make a second user account on the PC, which I
    > > | would want to use the same dial-up connection.
    > > | I seem to run into problems. Is it possible, that the first user
    > > | account or dial-up connection was set up in such a way, that later
    > > | user accounts on the PC can not use that same dial-up connection? And
    > > | how can I rectify that?
    > > | Thanks in advance
    > > | Roger.
    >
    > --
    > There's more than money to be looked for in this short life of ours

Configuration Internet Service Providers Dial Up Connection Internet Connection User Accounts Windows XP