What kind of fan control does my PC have?

Random_Username

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Hello,

I have an old IBM Thinkcentre M51 and I wanted to change the CPU fan because it was too loud. So I bought a PWM fan only to discover that the PC doesn't actually use PWM.

The old fan connector looks like the one on the left and the PWM fan connector like that one on the right (I know, I took the pic from the internet :sarcastic:)
frio_extreme_015.jpg

I also tried to connect the new fan by force :D, and it ran, but not at full speed and the BIOS said that the fan is not operating.

So, what kind of fan control could the PC use and where can I get a suitable fan?

Random_Username

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Maybe I misunderstood but your problem is that the new fan thing does not connect because the head thing is different right? If that's the case you can simply take the wires from the new one and put on the older one. You might need some special tools for this tho as I've only done it with molex connectors

Random_Username

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Are you sure you read the whole thing? I'm sorry, but you misunderstood. The problem is not the fan connector, but the fan control (like it says in the title).