Sign in with
Your question

Is this an overheating graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2012 2:31:19 PM

I have 2 monitors hooked up to a gtx 560ti. I've experienced on a few occasions where the framerate will drop in starcraft2 drastically along with severe screen distortion on the screen displaying the game, but the other screen displaying windows is fine. I can even alt-tab out of the game and use the computer on both screens in stable condition.

One time the problem went away on its own once i sat still with the in-game menu open. Other times I restarted SC2 or rebooted.

This happens far from regularly, but this is a relatively new card so I will be RMA'ing it if it's a hardware problem.

Some details on my rig below. Also I'd like to mention I have excellent airflow in the HAF-X case with all cables neatly tucked away, and my CPU/mb do not go above 60 celsius in-game. I never actually measured the temps on my card before I boxed it up to RMA.

GPU: eVGA gtx 560ti
CPU: i7 3930k
MB: Asus sabertooth x79
RAM: 2x8GB g.skill 1600
SSD: 128GB vertex3

That's all I can think of. Thanks.

a b Î Nvidia
a c 141 U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 4:52:55 PM

That does sound like overheating, but it doesn't hurt to check. You can download GPU-Z and have it record your temperatures on the GPU, see what they are getting up to. You can also try using MSI Afterburner to set a more aggressive fan profile, sometimes the stock fan profiles aren't enough to adequately cool some cards.
m
l
February 23, 2012 6:04:22 PM

Supernova1138 said:
That does sound like overheating, but it doesn't hurt to check. You can download GPU-Z and have it record your temperatures on the GPU, see what they are getting up to. You can also try using MSI Afterburner to set a more aggressive fan profile, sometimes the stock fan profiles aren't enough to adequately cool some cards.

Cool. Just another follow up question. Assuming my card was overheated on those occasions, do you think any permanent damage was done? I've used the card without problems for a couple weeks now, but I'm wondering if I should fiddle with the fan settings or if I should still RMA it. If there's a good chance the lifespan of the card has decreased significantly due to the overheating or if I will be running into performance issues, I will consider RMA'ing it now rather than wait.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 141 U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 7:18:56 PM

It depends on what temps you hit. If they are really high, and the faster fan profile doesn't get them down to about 80 celsius or so, definitely RMA it, there is something wrong with the cooler or the way it is mounted. Really high temperatures, eg. 90+ celsius will shorten the life of the card. Once you get past 100 that is usually where it starts to throttle and you get performance problems.

If your temps are fine on the card, another possibility is a power supply issue. The make and model of your PSU would help.
m
l
February 23, 2012 7:23:59 PM

Supernova1138 said:
It depends on what temps you hit. If they are really high, and the faster fan profile doesn't get them down to about 80 celsius or so, definitely RMA it, there is something wrong with the cooler or the way it is mounted. Really high temperatures, eg. 90+ celsius will shorten the life of the card. Once you get past 100 that is usually where it starts to throttle and you get performance problems.

If your temps are fine on the card, another possibility is a power supply issue. The make and model of your PSU would help.

my PSU is a 1000W OCZ silentpro.
I just installed precision and edited the fan profile. so far it seems to be working as i managed to drop idle gpu temps from 52 to 40 by upping the fan speed/gpu temp curve. i'm guessing this means the stock fan is okay, but I have yet to put a larger load on it.

i'm guessing i hit over 100 celsius when i was getting all those artefacts.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 141 U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 7:28:10 PM

Idle temps aren't as important as load temperatures. Try running Starcraft 2 again and see what the GPU temp peaks at. Anything under 85 celsius is safe, though lower is better for the lifespan of the card.
m
l
a c 79 Î Nvidia
a c 230 U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 7:36:13 PM

1. In preparation for the new card, download the following:

a) Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 14
http://downloads.guru3d.com/MSI-Afterburner-2.2.0-Beta-...

b) OCCT 4.1.0
http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

2. Install the new card, run OCCT GPU test for 60 minutes monitoring the temps and voltages.

3. Try cranking it up.....Using Afterburner, I can usually get the 560 Ti up from the reference 822 Mhz to 1000Mhz before I have to start playing with voltages....at least on the Asus versions..... 980 Mhz will keep ya below 80C in SLI in a decent case....1020 Mhz had me at 82ish
m
l
February 23, 2012 7:59:07 PM

Supernova1138 said:
Idle temps aren't as important as load temperatures. Try running Starcraft 2 again and see what the GPU temp peaks at. Anything under 85 celsius is safe, though lower is better for the lifespan of the card.

holy hell. i just ran furmark with my new fan profile and let me tell you i have never heard my PC this loud before, which leads me to believe you were correct about the fan settings and my gpu overheating.

anyway i successfully ran it for about 5 min and temps never exceeded low 60s. i've decided not to RMA. thanks for all your input!
m
l
February 23, 2012 8:10:57 PM

Have you ensured that you have the latest driver downloaded and installed from nVidia?
m
l
!