Comming to terms with Canon Digital 350D

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 28, 2005 9:12:52 AM

Saturday, I spent from 8am until 9pm, hour off for lunch, and Sunday
from 6am until 12noon (British Summer Time) working out how to handle
and operate my new Canon 350D. This is a personal experience and it
may not be of interest to anyone else.

I am sitting here typing with two fingers. I have blisters on both
hands. My right hand, I have a cracker on the finger next to my little
one, on the inner aspect. On my left I have a blister on the finger
next to my pointing finger. Due to how I have to hold the camera
because of its size. Anyone any suggestions. However, it is a well
balanced camera. (I'm satisfied with this cameras performance.)

The other grump I've got relates to this size and position of the
control buttons. They are too small and close together, for my digits
that is. I am finding it difficult to get the right one without
touching others. Not exactly a major problem unless I am in a hurry.

I'm told that the size was determined by a need to appeal to female
photographers! I'm not that convinced on the accuracy of that opinion.

Angus
June 28, 2005 9:12:53 AM

This is not going to make you feel any better Angus, but it Really pays
to handle all the cameras before you purchase.
I went into the shop with the preconceived idea that a 350D or Pentax
*1stds would suit me best because of their compact size. I had the same
fumbling trouble as you, and in desperation asked to hold the Olympus
E-1, which seemed twice the size. Five seconds in my hands showed me
how wrong I had been, and no way was the salesman going to get the
camera back off me.
Size is not everything, and the Olympus feels like a natural extension
of this photographer.
I was lucky to find what suited me purely by chance,
Don
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:57:05 PM

Angus wrote:
>I'm told that the size was determined by a need to appeal to female
>photographers! I'm not that convinced on the accuracy of that opinion.

The ad campaigns that I've seen for the 350 here in Japan are quite
specifically aiming at the family/mommy market. Even the name of the camera
is the "EOS digital kiss," and the ads say "soft as a baby's kiss,"
reinforcing the image that this is the perfect camera for mommies to
capture that new addition. I handled it and thought about it, too, but
finally decided against it for the size and other reasons.

July 7, 2005 12:06:41 AM

Angus <macdonald@1692.co.uk> writes:

> I am sitting here typing with two fingers. I have blisters on both
> hands.
[snip]
> I'm told that the size was determined by a need to appeal to female
> photographers! I'm not that convinced on the accuracy of that opinion.

I agree that the camera is too small. The easy fix, for me at least,
was to slap on their battery grip. Doesn't help with the too-small
buttons, but it does give the camera better heft and balance, as well
as a nice portrait-mode shutter.

--ap
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 12:06:42 AM

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:06:41 +1000, Alain Picard wrote:

> Angus <macdonald@1692.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I am sitting here typing with two fingers. I have blisters on both
>> hands.
> [snip]
>> I'm told that the size was determined by a need to appeal to female
>> photographers! I'm not that convinced on the accuracy of that opinion.
>
> I agree that the camera is too small. The easy fix, for me at least,
> was to slap on their battery grip. Doesn't help with the too-small
> buttons, but it does give the camera better heft and balance, as well
> as a nice portrait-mode shutter.
The camera is not too small for me and I am a clumsy 72 year old who has
no problems with it.
--
neil
delete delete to reply