Matching the processor with the mobo

maestrogn

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I may have replace my amd phenom II x4 9850 processor but would not like to buy a new board at the same time.

If I need a new processor, a replacement for my amd phenom II x4 9850 seems to be almost impossible to find out on the market. The core speed for that chip is 2500. There are later phenom II versions that are more easily purchased that have speeds between 3 and 3.2 GHz.

Will those work with the MSI 7850TM-E45 MS 7549 mobo, or will I have to by a whole new mobo/processor combo? Also, those other processors may be listed as AM3 (my board specs say AM2 or 2+ but also says that the motherboard is "AM3 CPU Ready" -- whatever that means).

I hope that this is the end of my newbie questions ... thanks to all for great help!!!

GN

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012

Yeah thats what i meant lol
make sure you update your bios before putting the new cpu in*

maestrogn

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Many thanks to all of you knowledgeable, helpful folks.

Yes, I do have the basic Phenom, not the II.

I was concerned about chip speed and the board specs only because I've been burned (pun intended) by being sold a cooler rated at 95 even though I have a chip that is a 124 ... hence, mega heat. The news cooler is shipped and should handle things just fine.

Right now, I used the machine for a little while with a large fan cooling the entire case (minus the side) and kept the temps between 70 and 92 C. The machine seems to be throttling back very much so that appears to have protected the chip. I hope.

On another segment of this forum, I dealt with the chip integrity issue and was assured that, if the chip were damaged, I'd be getting all kinds of errors. So, let's hope.

When the cooler arrives and is installed, I'll run Prime95 to double check.

Then, and only then, will I attempt to overclock it.

I'll get into the system today to upgrade the BIOS.

Thanks to all for the help and the education. It is really appreciated!

mgn

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012
For the time being if you plan on using the computer before the new hsf gets there. You can underclock and lower voltage on your cpu and you should be able to run it just fine without no overheating problems.

I had a sort of similar problem with my phenom ii 965 the stock heatsink fan was crazy loud so i place the old athlon ii cooler in until i got a new cooler. I under clock it to 3.0 ghz and lower voltage. My temps reach 58c instead of 73c. lol Plus it didn't effect my gaming lowering clock speed probably lost about 6 fps but still kept my games way above 30fps

so thats probably your best bet.

maestrogn

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Thanks to everybody (and help from the X-Pilot crew), all the issues have been resolved. Installed new and far more robust cooler and ran both memory and cpu stress tests -- the chip passed with flying colors. So, I don't need to replace the chip but I really enjoyed learning from you all along the way.

Thank you very much.

mGN