Odd 7950 low frame rate issue

So I've recently built a new computer, and threw down some heavy cash on a Sapphire 7950 OC edition.
About 1 out of every 10 times I load a game, WoW, SWTOR, Alien vs Predator,Skyrim, anything... the game runs like crap
It's happening right now in WoW, I'm at a consistent 12 ..yes twelve.. frames per second. What the crap? No matter how
many times I restart the game, it does not fix the problem. Only thing that works is a system reboot.

Now when this issue isn't happening, I enjoy WoW on Ultra at 60fps. Every other game runs smooth as silk too... until this bizarre issue pops up.
I have no idea what causes it. I don't let my computer go into sleep or hibernate, or even turn off HD after hours of idle use. Only power saving feature I
use is my monitor shuts down after an hour.
Rest of my hadware is as follows.
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
AMD 975 @ 3.7ghz
Corsairs 8gb DDR1600
WD 500gb 32mb cache hd.
Win 7 64 bit, fully updated.
Drivers fully updated, 12.2 pre-certified from ATi.
27 answers Last reply
More about 7950 frame rate issue
  1. Doesn't sound like a temp problem but are your CPU and GPU temps doing ok?

Try monitoring the processes that are running when the slowdown occurs and try to identify what is straining system resources. The problem may be with the new 7950 and the latest funky drivers from AMD. But you should use taskmgr or process explorer to see if something is grabbing all your resources.
  2. What was your previous GPU? NVIDIA?

Go to major geeks website and download driver sweeper.

Once installed - select all AMD/NVIDIA drivers and delete them.

I would try out 12.1 drivers as well - 12.2 aren't official quite yet. If you can't use 12.1 drivers due to your new GPU, try the 12.2 again.
  3. replug the card into the pci express slot.
  4. Chainzsaw said:
    What was your previous GPU? NVIDIA?

Go to major geeks website and download driver sweeper.

Once installed - select all AMD/NVIDIA drivers and delete them.

I would try out 12.1 drivers as well - 12.2 aren't official quite yet. If you can't use 12.1 drivers due to your new GPU, try the 12.2 again.

New rig, no previous gpu or nvidia.
    It's not a heat issue, GPUZ reports my card idle at 28c and 46-50 under heavy load, never above 50 though.
    I just reinstalled 12.2, hard to say if that fixed the problem since my computer rebooted during and reboots
    fix the funky issue. So now I'll just have to wait =\
  5. Whats your PSU?
  6. vrumor said:
    Whats your PSU?

Corsair 650watt
    I doubt power is an issue as the 7950 uses so little =)
  7. Yes it does, however the PSU could just be faulty, it happens. Do you have another handy? At least you can rule it out. Also the 7900 series drivers arent exactly optimized yet. Probably see some issues here and there with various things.
  8. Well, this does sound odd, and now that you mention it, it sounds like I'm having the same problem as your are, even with much older cards (CFX 4870s), and this all points to the latest drivers!

Before Steam told me to install the new drivers for the Nth time (I always put them off, not like there is going to be much improvement to 4870 drivers!), I NEVER had the quirky FPS issues on game startup I'm experiencing now...

Now, when I start Kingdoms of Amalur or Just Cause 2, the game seems to run like *** until I exit or alt-tab for a few seconds and come back in. Yeah, I tried waiting in-game to see if it was caching, pre-loading stuff, but even waiting 3-4 minutes wouldn't help... the alt-tab (Amalur) or complete restart of the game (Just Cause 2) is the only fix.

Probably some stupid glitch in the new drivers... I should of stuck to me guns and not update the drivers...
  9. any updates running in the background?
  10. maxinexus said:
    any updates running in the background?

Nope no updates, nothing to chew up system resources.
    I have ESET 5 , have disabled it whenever the problem happens and it has no effect.

If the issue continues, I'll uninstall the 12.2 pre-certified and install the video drivers off the dvd that came with the video card =(
    Too bad 12.1 wont work with the 7000 line so I can't test it.
    In response to a post, I don't have another psu to test. If this 650watt 53amp on the 12s isn't enough or not working right.. Wouldn't it be causing issues almost everytime I load a game?
  11. Have you updated the bios and the chipset/mobo drivers?
  12. monsta said:
    Have you updated the bios and the chipset/mobo drivers?

Yuppers, fully updated bios&drivers.

After reading here and elsewhere, its starting to sound like driver issues.. Guess that means I'll just have to sit tight and wait for ATi to kick out some official non-beta-feeling drivers for the 7900s eh?
  13. Yeah thats true you have a point , only thing i can think of is starting from scratch , back up and reinstall windows etc.
  14. I Have an MSI 7950 OC to 830 MHZ, and I read that this card plays Shogun total war 2 on full settings, and IM getting a worse fps rate for that and say Empire total war and such than I was for my 150 Dollar HD 6870 lol...Ill usually only get 30 fps or 20... and its Choppy, and btw the new drivers ati has out right now for the 7950 actually reduce your fps by about 5-10.. I tested it. SO all in all I feel like I bought a... 300 upgrade for only a .... 10 fps profit, on SOME games...I feel like ive been ripped off lol, I even though Im using the 3.0 with a 2.0 slot, I thought the backwards compatibility wasnt THAT bad, they said it was only a minor bandwith drain, but eh well see, Im going to try unpluging it and pluging it back in
  15. A pci-e 3.0 card still wont saturate a pci-e 2.0 slot. So that part of it is false. The 7000 series is new, the drivers are new. If you have any experience or knowlege about new GPUs and subsequent drivers, youd know it takes a bit of time for them to mature. Or you can continue to complain about it. I love my 7970s in crossfire. Are they a bit touchy on somethings? Yes. But ill deal with that for the kind of performance im getting.
  16. official drivers are out.
  17. vrumor said:
    A pci-e 3.0 card still wont saturate a pci-e 2.0 slot. So that part of it is false. The 7000 series is new, the drivers are new. If you have any experience or knowlege about new GPUs and subsequent drivers, youd know it takes a bit of time for them to mature. Or you can continue to complain about it. I love my 7970s in crossfire. Are they a bit touchy on somethings? Yes. But ill deal with that for the kind of performance im getting.

vrumor im not saying im not happy with the card, but i feel that it isnt a much improvement for certain games from the 6870... though on some games i experienced being able to bump them to full graphics with about a 20 to 30 fps boost from what I was getting before... but on other games... like the total war series ... it feels kind of "cheap" and yes, I do have some experience with cards but not enough to really know how certain hardware in the card functions, I only know the basics... so if you could elaborate on what you were talking about with the slots id appreciate it
  18. Catalyst pre-certified WHQL 12.3 (which are better than WHQL 12.2) here~

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=2858

Catalyst 12.4 beta (haven't tried yet) here~

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-12.x--8.96-February-28-download-2867.html
  19. Bascially man its new tech. 2 months old. It takes time for them to work the bugs out of the rivers. Its great hardware, but like any new product, at least for graphics cards cause games are developed for so many different systems today, drivers give you extra performance and other goodies. Keep trying the drivers, they will get it right, and soon. Ive had 1 issue with my crossfire and it happens so infrequently that it isnt a big deal to me at all. But if you do sell it for something else lemme know :)
  20. vrumor said:
    Bascially man its new tech. 2 months old. It takes time for them to work the bugs out of the rivers. Its great hardware, but like any new product, at least for graphics cards cause games are developed for so many different systems today, drivers give you extra performance and other goodies. Keep trying the drivers, they will get it right, and soon. Ive had 1 issue with my crossfire and it happens so infrequently that it isnt a big deal to me at all. But if you do sell it for something else lemme know :)

Well Im thinking of buying another 7950 and crossfiring it.. whats the little annoyance your getting by the way? and yea I figured it was like that, for example the FX Bulldozer that i have in my computer has 8 corse, almost no Systems ive seen yet can utilize all 8 to their full potential... or even use more than 4 cores.. But my question is.. WHAT excactly is effected by the fact Im using a 3.0 in a 2.0
  21. The annoyance I get it that sometimes while alt tabbing out of Star Wars or other games I get a crash. Just requires a hard reset, but im also running 12.2 pre-cert drivers. There are 2 drivers out after that I wasnt aware of. May solve it, I dont know. But alt-tab and gaming hasnt always worked out great. Games mostly still use single or dual cores I believe so a Bulldozer chip isnt really needed for gaming.
    Im an AMD guy and have been for 15 years, however that being said, the new Intels outperform it in terms of gaming. Id move over to that platform now, however, I wont see a significant gain in performance over what im running now with crossfire 7970s. As far as pci-e 2.0 or 3.0, really at this point, no card fully utilizes 2.0 let alone 3.0 bandwidth. The next set of motherboard, whether it be 1090 for AMD or the new Ivy Bidge boards will have 3.0. One of the ASRock z68 boards uses it now, but there is no performance gain noticed thru benchmarks ive seen regarding using 3.0 cards on 2.0 slots.
  22. vrumor said:
    The annoyance I get it that sometimes while alt tabbing out of Star Wars or other games I get a crash. Just requires a hard reset, but im also running 12.2 pre-cert drivers. There are 2 drivers out after that I wasnt aware of. May solve it, I dont know. But alt-tab and gaming hasnt always worked out great. Games mostly still use single or dual cores I believe so a Bulldozer chip isnt really needed for gaming.
    Im an AMD guy and have been for 15 years, however that being said, the new Intels outperform it in terms of gaming. Id move over to that platform now, however, I wont see a significant gain in performance over what im running now with crossfire 7970s. As far as pci-e 2.0 or 3.0, really at this point, no card fully utilizes 2.0 let alone 3.0 bandwidth. The next set of motherboard, whether it be 1090 for AMD or the new Ivy Bidge boards will have 3.0. One of the ASRock z68 boards uses it now, but there is no performance gain noticed thru benchmarks ive seen regarding using 3.0 cards on 2.0 slots.

What I dont get is why AMD released an ATI card the has a 3.0 slot, but doesnt have any AMD Motherboards to support it...
  23. Because motherboards arent GPU specific unless you get into dual or more GPU configurations. Til then it doesnt care if its on an Intel board or AMD.
  24. vrumor said:
    Because motherboards arent GPU specific unless you get into dual or more GPU configurations. Til then it doesnt care if its on an Intel board or AMD.

... Wait what? your saying you could put an AMD CPU on an Intel motherboard?
  25. No GPU, not CPU.
  26. vrumor said:
    No GPU, not CPU.

Oh no I what I meant when I was talking about AMD is... AMD Owns ATI.. why are there only Intel 3.0 Motherboards and no AMD Motherboards with a 3.0 slot lol
  27. The 1090 chipset hasnt come out yet. That will support 3.0 pci-e with the AMD processors.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards World Of Warcraft Games Graphics