Solved

Athlon 4850e vs. Phenom 9100e

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2012 3:19:29 AM

I'm not too hot on AMD, so I thought I'd ask here. My HTPC currently has an Athlon x2 4850e, running on a J&W MINIX (780g) ITX mobo:
http://www.jwele.com/motherboard_detail.php?419

It's in a Thermaltake case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM, optical and HDD I don't think are important for this question.

My sister's HP just crapped out, so she gave it to me, giving me access to her 9100e CPU. So I'm wondering if I should switch the 4850 out for the 9100??

Some things I know:
9100 is 65 vs 4850 at 45W, so I know the Phenom will run hotter, and in cramped space, that's my main concern.
The 4850 is 600MHz faster, but on the dual core vs the Phenoms quad core.

So do you guys think the heat increase is a good trade off for the quad core? It's running Win7 Pro and really doesn't do much except 'NAS' type storage for my laptops and desktop, video playback (.mkv, .avi and the such on WMP and PowerDVD11), and occasional other medial tasks. But if it makes a great increase to have the 9100, I might use it for other tasks down the road to free up time and cycles on my main computer.

Opinions and comments?

More about : athlon 4850e phenom 9100e

Best solution

a c 118 à CPUs
August 14, 2012 7:42:50 PM

scottiemedic said:
I'm not too hot on AMD, so I thought I'd ask here. My HTPC currently has an Athlon x2 4850e, running on a J&W MINIX (780g) ITX mobo:
http://www.jwele.com/motherboard_detail.php?419

It's in a Thermaltake case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM, optical and HDD I don't think are important for this question.

My sister's HP just crapped out, so she gave it to me, giving me access to her 9100e CPU. So I'm wondering if I should switch the 4850 out for the 9100??

Some things I know:
9100 is 65 vs 4850 at 45W, so I know the Phenom will run hotter, and in cramped space, that's my main concern.
The 4850 is 600MHz faster, but on the dual core vs the Phenoms quad core.

So do you guys think the heat increase is a good trade off for the quad core? It's running Win7 Pro and really doesn't do much except 'NAS' type storage for my laptops and desktop, video playback (.mkv, .avi and the such on WMP and PowerDVD11), and occasional other medial tasks. But if it makes a great increase to have the 9100, I might use it for other tasks down the road to free up time and cycles on my main computer.

Opinions and comments?

The only thing that may take any CPU power at all might be decoding and playing back of video that your GPU doesn't accelerate (MKV perhaps?) Some of that is very multithreaded, some is not. The 4850e will be moderately better at single-threaded tasks than the 9100e, although not as much as the 600 MHz might suggest as the Phenom is somewhat faster clock for clock. Otherwise, your computer is pretty much idling all of the time and you won't be able to tell a difference between the CPUs.

Here's a thought- why don't you put the 9100e in there and see what it does, since you apparently have the CPU already. What do you have to lose, a little bit of time and a nickel's worth of thermal compound?
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2012 6:38:29 AM

MU_Engineer said:
The only thing that may take any CPU power at all might be decoding and playing back of video that your GPU doesn't accelerate (MKV perhaps?) Some of that is very multithreaded, some is not. The 4850e will be moderately better at single-threaded tasks than the 9100e, although not as much as the 600 MHz might suggest as the Phenom is somewhat faster clock for clock. Otherwise, your computer is pretty much idling all of the time and you won't be able to tell a difference between the CPUs.

Here's a thought- why don't you put the 9100e in there and see what it does, since you apparently have the CPU already. What do you have to lose, a little bit of time and a nickel's worth of thermal compound?

That sounds like an idea. Any specific benchmarks I should look at that will be more beneficial than others? Other than temps and benching, what other things should I be on the lookout for?

I cracked the case tonight to replace the DVD drive with a cool BD/HD-DVD drive I got from the same HP and come to find out my CPU cooler isn't turning. Luckily I modded the case to accomodate a 120mm fan blowing side to side, since apparently the BIOS on the Minix board gave no warnings that the CPU RPM was ZERO!! Ugh. Needless to say, it overheats before it gets to boot (must have been good enough to idle in Windows, but gets too hot trying to boot everything up), so I have to fix that problem before I can tackle the other part of it... If it isn't one thing, it's another!!

Thanks for the suggestion on the benching. I'llpost my findings. Other than WHAT benching I hould do, what program do you recommend to run the benchmarks? Any one better than the other, or do the programs only do certain benchmarks, resulting in the need for multiple softwares?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2012 1:15:04 AM

To add...

I had to reload everything thanks to a failed WD 1.5tb green drive (this will be the SECOND RMA in less than 2 years), so I decided to set it up for file sharing/NAS while I'm at it instead of using my primary desktop as the 'server'.

Does that change the opinion on the 4850/9100 debate?

Haven't got to the benches yet, more on that later...
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 11:29:30 PM

Best answer selected by scottiemedic.
m
l