Sign in with
Your question

Best Graphics Card and Processor For GTA 4

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2012 5:39:46 PM

MY SPECS:
AMD Turion II Dual Core Mobile Processor (2.2 GHz)
8 GB RAM
500 GB Hard Drive
ATI/AMD Graphics Mobility Card 4200
15.6 inch Display
Windows 7 Home Premium

PURPOSE- I have just gotten GTA 4 for my laptop and it REALLLY lags horribly. Can anybody give me a recombination for a new processor and graphics card for my laptop.
a c 141 U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 5:45:02 PM

You'll have to get a new laptop. Most laptops are not upgradeable when it comes to graphics, and your integrated graphics are below the minimum requirements for that game. Without a better graphics card, a better CPU won't do you any good.

If you don't have lots of money to spend on a gaming laptop, you could consider building a gaming capable desktop. GTA IV is a very badly coded game, it pretty much requires a quad core desktop CPU and a high end graphics card for optimal performance.
m
l
February 23, 2012 6:25:22 PM

Thanks for the advice, any laptops that might be good for what im looking to do
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2012 6:51:24 PM

It all depends on what you're willing to spend.
m
l
a c 141 U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 7:26:25 PM

Gaming laptops are generally quite pricy. To get anything even remotely worthy of being called a gaming laptop you usually have to be willing to spend $1000 at a minimum. $1000 will get you something with entry level gaming performance, probably something like a GT555m for graphics. Something like that will run any modern title, but you won't get high settings at 1080p or anything like that. If you are looking for high settings at 1080p, you'd have to be willing to spend around $2000 for something that has a top tier laptop GPU like the Radeon HD 6990m or the GTX 580m.

If you are dead set on buying a gaming laptop, buy the best that you can afford. Only a few of the $1500+ gaming laptops have upgradeable graphics, and getting a hold of laptop graphics cards is difficult and expensive, as they are only sold to OEMs. The only way for the public to get laptop GPUs without buying an entire laptop is by looking for them on places like eBay, where they go for fairly high prices.
m
l
February 23, 2012 7:54:46 PM

you need to give more of an idea of how much you are willing to spend. Laptops where I live (in the UK) are getting more affordable fast so I'd say it is a good time to invest in a new one if you are serious about it. Supernova1138 is right also, $1000 at a minimum, definitely.

For reference, GTA 4 is massively processor bound. Decent processor does a lot more than a decent GPU in that game. Your dual core 2.2GHZ CPU is the biggest problem!
m
l
February 24, 2012 1:17:41 AM

So i was looking at a new laptop with a Quad core processor but with only a 1.6 GHz speed. Will that effect the game?

Other specs of the Laptop

6 GB memory
500 GB Hard Drive Space
ATI Raedon 6620 HD DDR3 Graphics Card
also it is an AMD A series processor and i am not sure if thats a great option
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 1:28:22 AM

why laptop??
m
l
February 24, 2012 1:49:20 AM

GTA IV is a very intensive game even on modern systems. The specs you have listed will not run the game very well if you intending to have a good balance between detail and performance. I would be inclined to at least look into getting an intel I3/I5 laptop and, particularly of note, the 6620 is not a particularly fast card according to the hierarchy http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-ca.... You will need a card that will at least match the GTX260 (desktop version) to get decent frames, something like the 6800m (which is the DX11 equivalent)

m
l
a c 141 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 1:59:10 AM

The 6620G is the best integrated graphics solution from AMD. It's better than Intel's graphics solution, but it will at best only just barely deliver playable framerates in GTA IV if you use the lowest possible settings. You really need to get a discrete graphics card for the laptop to run GTA IV well. Something like the GT555m or Radeon HD 6700m at a minimum, with 6800m or GTX 560m being recommended. If your budget doesn't permit any of those, I would say you should seriously look at a desktop for gaming, you'll be able to get much more performance for a much lower price. Either that or save more money so you can afford to drop $1000+ on a laptop.
m
l
February 24, 2012 2:00:59 AM

trust me i am really into intel but i have a desktop with intel hd graphics and it still is very bad
m
l
February 24, 2012 2:04:14 AM

supernova, i do have a desktop that i spent close to 900 dollars on over the summer and i tried it on it but it sucked. Worst part is that its an all in one and i think its a closesd system
m
l
February 24, 2012 2:09:34 AM

hence, no modding
m
l
a c 141 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 2:18:29 AM

crap, that all-in-one is basically a stationary laptop, no graphics upgrades will be possible on that. Either way you're looking at a new computer if you want to play GTA IV. If money is really tight, I would say just get the console version of the game. The PC port of GTA IV was horribly done, it is one of the few games where the console version might actually be better, especially if you have weaker PC hardware.
m
l
May 10, 2012 1:05:59 PM

Supernova1138 said:
You'll have to get a new laptop. Most laptops are not upgradeable when it comes to graphics, and your integrated graphics are below the minimum requirements for that game. Without a better graphics card, a better CPU won't do you any good.

If you don't have lots of money to spend on a gaming laptop, you could consider building a gaming capable desktop. GTA IV is a very badly coded game, it pretty much requires a quad core desktop CPU and a high end graphics card for optimal performance.

I have core i5 with 2.6-2.9GHz and a 4gb RAM and it still don't work.
m
l
May 10, 2012 1:10:04 PM

i HAVE A i5 core, 2.6-2.9GHz, 4gb RAM, and yes my GTA 4 have a bad graphic. if i was to get a new graphic, what will be the best one for this year and future.
m
l
!