Is it even safe/worth it to try upgrading this pre-built?

AntaresX

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229243

I'm giving it to my sister, for Photoshop and gaming. She's getting ready to start playing Tera Online within the next couple of weeks, and I'm worried it's not going to be able to run very well with that 1GB 5450HD. It ran Skyrim very comfortably for me on medium-high settings, but online games are usually a bit more taxing.

Right now the card runs between 50C-60C even when I'm just on the internet or looking at the desktop. I don't know if that's normal, but I'm assuming any card I try to put in there as an upgrade is going to naturally use more power and generate more heat, probably reaching dangerous levels for the longevity of the GPU.

She's using a monitor with 1280x1024 screen resolution, nothing fancy.

Is it worth it to try getting her a better card for Tera Online? Or will I need to add in a few other upgrades as well? Pretty sure the PSU is a piece of crap since it's a pre-built, not sure how to find out its exact specifications without opening up the tower though. It would suck to plug in a new card and have it kill the system due to a garbage PSU...

Solution
Best option for a questionable PSU would be something like this:SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750 - 109.99

Provided that you aren't trying to find something cheaper. This will draw all it's power from the PCIe slot, same as your 5450 and the 7750 runs close to the 550ti, which is not all that great, but will more than max that screen resolution she is going to be using.

Pezcore27

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Best option for a questionable PSU would be something like this:SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750 - 109.99

Provided that you aren't trying to find something cheaper. This will draw all it's power from the PCIe slot, same as your 5450 and the 7750 runs close to the 550ti, which is not all that great, but will more than max that screen resolution she is going to be using.

Solution

AntaresX

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for, and that price is fine. That card upgrade will make a great birthday present.