Passively cool an undervolted/underclocked i7 875k

Dadrewster569

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
It's been two nice years of using my i7 rig, but as the future demands higher performance, so do I. Working with nothing but video editing/rendering, a top of the line system is quite beneficial, so I plan on getting the latest and greatest from Intel in the near future.

That being said, I don't want to just cast my old setup aside, but I'l like to use it as a small little Minecraft/home server.

I would like to keep it absolutely silent, no fans whatsoever. As it is right now, doing that with any i7 would seem impossible. However, I plan on undervolting, underclocking, and disabling features on it.

What I plan on doing:

Underclock processor to ~1-1.8GHz, getting voltage as low as possible.
Disable hyperthreading
disable one or two of the cores

-------

The specs of this potential server:

Crippled i7 875k
Recycling my old p7p55d motherboard, probably
16GB RAM
120GB boot/data SSD
AMD Radeon 5450
A yet to be found passive powersupply

The primary thing this computer will be doing is running a Minecraft server. Chances are high that this will be done in a Linux server environment (such as this: http://minecraft.codeemo.com/ or just Ubuntu server) after I confirm stability in Windows 7.

Does this seem realistic? Could it be possible to have the i7 run passively by crippling it? Are there any specific heatsinks that I should consider using for this?