2500K vs. 3570K

obsama1

Distinguished
I want to build a new PC, and I live near a MC. The 2500K is $170 and the 3570K is $190. Which should I go for? I will be using a 6870(not sure yet) so I don't need PCIE 3.0, and the power savings while nice, 18 watts less power consumption really doesn't matter all that much to me. I want to overclock to ~4-4.4GHz. I want a pro/con breakdown of each. I know that the difference is minimal, but I simply want to get IB since it's latest and greatest (think a lot of us can relate to that :D ), but the SB is cheaper. I simply want to hear the community's opinion.

Solution
well for the price diffrence between them i would go ivy personal opnion and you wont run into any ocing issues at 4.4ghz u start runing into them at around 4.6+ which would be a 4.8 on sb becuse ivy bridge is around 5-15% faster depending on the application, and PCIE 3 is always nice to have even if it doesnt really get used.

So basically a 4.4ghz on an ivybridge would be around a 4.6hz on sandy.

bottom line is both are fantastic cpu pick whichever u like.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
i5 2500k go for it, lol if there are any local shop I can find one for that price I would really go with it, so far lowest I can find is 220.14$ (locally) and a 235.59$ for the ivy with it's more expensive mobo

obsama1

Distinguished
Which one overclocks better. I'm probably going to overclock to 4.4GHz on air, and which one will enable me to get there the easiest. Also, I heard IB has heat issues. Is this true? If I do end up getting SB(still thinking about it), I'll wait a bit for further price drops, although $170 for the 2500K is an amazing deal.

obsama1

Distinguished
So the pros and cons:
SB:
+Cheaper
+OC's better
-Slightly slower

IB:
+Slightly faster
-Doesn't OC well
-Heating issue

Am I right?

Also, after looking at some benchmarks, IB seems so mediocre. I remember a few months back when evryone said IB would be astounding and such. The only real difference is the Intel HD, but make zilch of a difference. Great for store-bought PC (HP, Dell, ASUS, etc.) since most computers have terrible IGP's, and this will be a great benefit to mainstream consumers, but for 99% of the 'geek' community, it won't make much of a difference.

phemonus

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
well for the price diffrence between them i would go ivy personal opnion and you wont run into any ocing issues at 4.4ghz u start runing into them at around 4.6+ which would be a 4.8 on sb becuse ivy bridge is around 5-15% faster depending on the application, and PCIE 3 is always nice to have even if it doesnt really get used.

So basically a 4.4ghz on an ivybridge would be around a 4.6hz on sandy.

bottom line is both are fantastic cpu pick whichever u like.

Solution

obsama1

Distinguished
Eh, I mean it's $20. But that's a good point. Most people forget that IB has higher performance than SB so they overclock to 4.5GHz which is like 4.9GHz on SB. I guess you would only need to OC to 4.1 Ghz on IB to get to 4.5GHz SB level. Becuase honestly, the other other day, the SB was $180 and IB was $190, so $10 to get IB was a good deal, but now SB is $170. If the SB drops to $160 or lower, it's a no brainer, I'd get SB and money into the GPU, RAM, etc. But $20, I mean, in the long run, it wouldn't matter one bit. However, I want to get ideas from both ends of the spectrum. I want to hear what people think!

larry_burrd

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Why'd you come here to argue with people who's advie you asked for. When building, id say the main thing is future proof technology. so if you can go with a IB pci 3.0 set up now youd actually be saving money and having better performance for more time as compared to buying and selling a SB and replacing it

obsama1

Distinguished
I'm trying to be open-minded and think of all the cons and pros of each one. SB has less heat, Ivy Bridge uses less power. Like I said, I want to hear people's opinions, so I make an informed decision. But, I think I've made my decision, and I'll go with IB.

obsama1

Distinguished
I'm trying to be open-minded and think of all the cons and pros of each one. SB has less heat, Ivy Bridge uses less power. Like I said, I want to hear people's opinions, so I make an informed decision. But, I think I've made my decision, and I'll go with IB.

XthHaseoX

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
The SB and IB both OC about the same, but because of the way IB's are designed, they get hotter. It's that way with all IB's compared to SB's. BUT look at the stock performance.. you'd be OC'ing the IB less than you'd be OC'ing the SB then again only by .1GHz so in this area, it's up to you. Then there's the fact that if you're getting a Z77 mobo which supports Intel Smart Connect, Intel Rapid Start, Lucid Virtu Universal MVP, you'd want to get the IB because it has much better integrated graphics than the SB, then again it all depends on what you're building for. btw, if you're getting a Z77 mobo, I recommend getting a 3.0 card such as the GTX 660 Ti when it comes out in July or August especially if you're getting the IB like you say you are.. unless you weren't planning on spending that much on a GFX card then never mind.