Gaming Issue ((CPU))

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post on this forum.I've been having issues with my pc and mainly while playing video games.This is my rig:

CPU: Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8 GHZ
GPU: GTX 560 TI MSI TWIN FROZR II OC
RAM: CORSAIR RAM 1333 MHZ 4 GB
HDD (1): CAVIAR BLACK 500 GB
HDD (2): CAVIAR GREEN 1,5 TB
M/B: GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3
PSU: COOLERMASTER GX 650 SERIES 650 W (52 A at 12 V rail)
CASE: APEX 3620 VORTEX
MONITOR: LG W2363D-PF 23'' TFT LCD 120 HZ 3D

I always thought that this rig would be the best for gaming at an ultra experience, but, I experience low framerate and slowdowns in many video games, even 6 year old ones or game with low requirements (e.g. Garry's Mod).I always wondered if my CPU is the main cause for all this lagging and low performance and I was thinking of upgrading all this time, but, I'm not doing yet cause I'm not sure if it actually going to help.So, these are my questions:

1.Is the Phenom II X6 1055T good for gaming?Why yes or why not?
2.Is something else from rig causing this issue instead of my CPU?
3.Is GTX 560 Ti good for gaming?
4.If I buy the i5 2500k (for which I have heard a lot of times that is the best CPU for gaming) will I have a constant framerate or at least the best performance in all videogames?

Any help will be appreciated...

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
1/4->Your CPU is good however most games nowadays don't use more than 2 cores so you will have a better experience with a core i5 simply because it works more efficiently than the 6 cores on your phenom.

2->I'd guess RAM. 4GB is very little try upgrading to 8GB

3->It is a decent card. Obviously not high end but it's pretty good and should give you high settings on pretty much everything

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
That CPU does not Bottleneck that card so in any GPU intensive game (most games) you will see ZERO visual difference with an i5 2500k.

You want to max things out...... OC that CPU and buy a high end GPU your 560ti can not max out anything recent at 1080p with decent FPS no matter what CPU.

If your after 120FPS (hence the 120Hz monitor) you need to go buy an Intel setup and multiple flagship GPU's.

*EDIT for pre-lunch typos*

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

Thank you for the reply.I'd like to tell you that I already tried adding more ram, 8gbs to be specific and nothing changed in the performance.Did I also happen to mention that the stock fan of the cooler of the cpu makes extremelly loud noise?!It's even 10 times louder than the GPU!..Anyway, any further help will be widely appreciated... :wahoo:

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

Thank you for the reply.I'm really thinking of buying the 2500k and overclokcing it, instead of buying a new gpu (mostly because of my budget :p )...Would that make any difference in the performance, even though gtx 560 ti is not an ultra high end gpu..

jemm

Distinguished
GTX 560ti is a decent card, and you should get a better FPS.

8GB RAM should make a difference in games, but as you said it didn´t, then there should have something wrong.

As you´ve reported CPU fan loud noise, can you tell us all here about the temps while you are playing games? Heating is not a performance best friend.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Firstly can you list some of the games and roughly the FPS nobody can say you should be getting better FPS when we dont know the figures

Secondly as I said as most games are GPU bound you are not going to see better performance by getting a stronger CPU you wll simply be bottlenecking the new CPU. You may squeeze a few FPS by overclocking your current CPU but in most titles I doubt it as the CPU is not your limiting factor.

To give you a rough heads up on the 560ti performance a clan mate I play with has one with an i5 2500 (non k) in BF3 he runs all MEDIUM settings (with minimal AA) to get an average 60FPS it is not a 1080p high/ultra card.

if you are getting problems in games such as gmod which your 560ti should tear up it is most likelt either.

1. A driver issue, download driver sweeper from phyxion.net, ununstall the current driver dont restart then run driversweeper and restart, install newest driver.

2. A software issue with a program you have running in the background, check with task manager for high cpu usage.

3. You antivirus has become corrupt, uninstall it and reinstall it.

4. bad/old sofrware on your system such as toolbars, adobe reader 9, search engines etc, uninstall any software that you did not specifically install or is required by other software such as .net runtime and visual c++ runtimes.

5. Your card has had it, a friend of mine had 2 560ti's in sli then started suffering from terrible performance till he swapped his old and new card around after trying them separately to find his older 560ti had bought it and was massivly underperforming.

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

I don't exactly know how cooler fans work, but my cpu fan is constantly at a power rate of 100 % and spinning at 7000 rpm.I downloaded speed fan in order to reduce the speed.When working normally and iwthout speed fan enabled, my cpu fan's speed will always be at a constant of 7000 rpm.I don't have a problem with that.I have seen the same thing to my brother's pc, but, the difference was that in his pc, at 7000 rpm his cooler was so quiet (by the way he has the athlon ii x3 450 cpu with its stock cooler).mine at 7000 rpm is so annoying and so freaking loud!temperatures, while the cpu is loaded and while the cpu fan's speed is at 7000 rpm, are 55 to 65 degrees.If the CPU is not loaded and at the same RPM, the temperature drops down to 35 - 40 degrees.If I lower the RPM to about the half of it (4000 RPM for instance), the noise goes away, but the temperatures go up a little bit (about 60 - 65 when loaded and 40 - 45 when not loaded).It rarely goes over 65 degrees.When I am saying that my CPU is loaded, I mean that I am playing a game...

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

Garry's Mod, Blur, GTA 4, Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Crysis, Saints Row The Third etc.

I know that most of the times, it is the game that is faulty and may have fps dropdowns (e.g. gta 4 as it badly ported from the consoles).The same goes for Saints Row The Third as it is not a well ported game either.In Garry's Mod I have 200 fps with a frequent stuttering.If I record with fraps the fps in garry's mod drop down to 50!In Blur there is a lot of stuttering at an average of 50 fps...That's all I can think of now.Also, I was talking about the K version of the 2500 cpu and you didnt mention your friend's ram or his monitor, so I'm not convinced and by the way there are numerous videos on youtube with the same rig in which they say that they have an average of 55 to 60 fps at ultra settings in games such as Battlefield 3...

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

It may be my card.Maybe you're right.My antivirus is at a great condition and my cpu usage never goes over 40 percent.....

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
at 1920X1080 you cannot play BF3 on ultra and get 60FPS with a 560ti the CPU you use is irrelevent the 560ti simply cant do that

theres videos on youtube of people claiming the same with 9800gt's and all sorts

anyway you clearly have decided buying an i5 is the way to increase FPS using a 560ti this is wrong but I really cant be bothered trying to tell you that anymore.

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

i dont understand why u get angry so easy.if you are bored to answer just dont bother helping at all.I didnt say that everything I saw was correct I just mentioned that I found some specific videos...

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

I don't have a problem to hear your opinion or any further advice you may have to give me.I'm still not sure if I am going to buy the CPU.I just said that I would prefer to buy the i5 2500k instead of a high budget GPU...Sorry if I look like I am demanding something but I am just so frustrated..see u around :)

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
ok well one more thing as your CPU usuage never goes over 40% that indicates its the GPU.

I know I keep saying it but your GPU simply is not good enough to run games at 1080p ultra and average 60FPS. Very soon the 660ti releases it should be as good or better than GTX580 (from leaked reviews) and cheaper you may want to consider that

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

What about buying the 2500k, a gtx 670 and 8gbs of ram ?? ;)

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

Alright, I'll try that!Thank you very much.. :)

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
ur old cpu is good one u dont need to upgrade + have u ever update ur bios i saw some thread low fps causes by bios and driver issue + games now these days are not fully optimal to play for ex ubisoft ghost recon future solder still many high end pc suffer from low fps by the if u want to upgrade to win 7 64 bit and get 8 gb ram sufficient for runing games on ultra for u

Xanatos108

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

You say you are getting a lot of Stuttering? I have had that problem before and I found that I did not have V-sync enabled. Its a long shot, but I just thought I would recommend it. V-sync gives you consistent frames when playing a game. Also, make sure your drivers for your card are updated etc.

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

Thank you for the information.I'll try that :)

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hey, I tried out something.I was experimenting with the bios features to see if I could get some difference in the performance.What I did was to disable the 2 cores (so my Phenom had actually only 4 cores enabled) and I enabled the multiplier so it's speed stayed between 2.8 to 3.0 ghz.i noticed a big difference in the performance and there were no stuttering in any game!But...generally speaking, will overclock solve anything?What do I need to do after overclocking?(except from buying a new cooler :p )..Also, today when my pc boot up, it failed and it went to the ''repair startup'' program.Was that because I overclocked?..Thank you for any further information...

JimmyzzzX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

i know.nowadays they try to make them look realistic and even though they do it, none of them are well optimized.thanks for the info, though...

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Be sure to increase your northbridge (NB Freq) when you OC to keep it stable turn off turbo core too. To be honest though it shouldnt gain you massive yields maybe a few FPS as most games are going to get bound by your GPU first (you can overclock that too though).