Dealing with takedown requests

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 28, 2005 9:07:57 AM

In the past I have received requests for single photos to be removed and
have obliged as I wanted to continue taking photos of the musicians
involved.

I have recently recieved a request to take down a few more photos than
usual from a recent shoot, making it easier to just re-create the gallery
for that shoot rather than try to edit around the photos (and possibly more
are still to be removed.)

With more people going to look at my site, I am sure I will get other
requests in the future. What strategy do you recommend in this regard and
are there any resources I could consult about my rights on this issue?

Thanks.

--
GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com

"Craig Flory" <floryphotog@mindspring.com> writes:

> In the future, just do it the legal way ... & have any person in a photo
> sign a model release. That's the only legal way. Once you have the signed
> release you can use it as long as you want.

This isn't really practical for snapshots. Many people would refuse
to sign any ordinary model release who don't mind at all appearing in
your snapshots in public, just in your own snapshot album website.
And you'd spend all your time trying to keep track of all the
releases.

Of course for commercial use, you need the releases, if only because
nobody will *buy* for commercial use without them.
June 28, 2005 5:25:30 PM

In the future, just do it the legal way ... & have any person in a photo
sign a model release. That's the only legal way. Once you have the signed
release you can use it as long as you want.

Craig Flory
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 7:44:39 PM

Tim Chmielewski wrote:
> In the past I have received requests for single photos to be removed and
> have obliged as I wanted to continue taking photos of the musicians
> involved.
>
> I have recently recieved a request to take down a few more photos than
> usual from a recent shoot, making it easier to just re-create the gallery
> for that shoot rather than try to edit around the photos (and possibly more
> are still to be removed.)
>
> With more people going to look at my site, I am sure I will get other
> requests in the future. What strategy do you recommend in this regard and
> are there any resources I could consult about my rights on this issue?
>
> Thanks.

Use a different gallery application. One which will let you delete
images and rearranges itself. If you want to be a prick, just put a note
up that the picture was removed at the request of --blah, like many do.

Douglas
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:12:46 PM

"Tim Chmielewski" <webmaster@timchuma.com> wrote in message
> In the past I have received requests for single photos to be removed and
> have obliged as I wanted to continue taking photos of the musicians
> involved.
>
> I have recently recieved a request to take down a few more photos than
> usual from a recent shoot, making it easier to just re-create the gallery
> for that shoot rather than try to edit around the photos (and possibly
> more
> are still to be removed.)
>
> With more people going to look at my site, I am sure I will get other
> requests in the future. What strategy do you recommend in this regard and
> are there any resources I could consult about my rights on this issue?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
> The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
> My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
> Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com

Model releases. If you have one, then they can't expect, or demand, that
you remove an image. You'll probably eliminate any requests, since they
know they've committed themselves.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in

> Model releases. If you have one, then they can't expect, or demand,
> that you remove an image. You'll probably eliminate any requests,
> since they know they've committed themselves.

I would do that if I was planning to make money off the photos and had
negotiated with the people in question beforehand. In this case I hadn't
and it was more a case of wanting to keep a good relationship with the
performers involved.

Thanks.

--
GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:17:35 AM

> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in
>

>> Model releases. If you have one, then they can't expect, or demand,
>> that you remove an image. You'll probably eliminate any requests,
>> since they know they've committed themselves.
>>
> I would do that if I was planning to make money off the photos and had
> negotiated with the people in question beforehand. In this case I hadn't
> and it was more a case of wanting to keep a good relationship with the
> performers involved.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
> The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
> My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
> Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com

I figured that, but I always used to get model releases from bands I shot
(probably on a more formal, but still occasionally unpaid, basis than what
you're doing, it's true) and if someone truly objected to an image, I'd take
it down to keep the peace, but a signing a release gave them the feeling
they were committed to let you use the images. Of course, I usually just
put up images that reflected what the band was trying to project, anyway, so
I can't think of a single instance of someone asking me to take one down.
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
June 29, 2005 6:25:09 AM

How about getting permission to use the photo in the first place, instead of
giving all photographers a bad name?

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Tim Chmielewski" <webmaster@timchuma.com> wrote in message
> In the past I have received requests for single photos to be removed and
> have obliged as I wanted to continue taking photos of the musicians
> involved.
>
> I have recently recieved a request to take down a few more photos than
> usual from a recent shoot, making it easier to just re-create the gallery
> for that shoot rather than try to edit around the photos (and possibly
more
> are still to be removed.)
>
> With more people going to look at my site, I am sure I will get other
> requests in the future. What strategy do you recommend in this regard and
> are there any resources I could consult about my rights on this issue?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
> The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
> My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
> Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:59:07 AM

"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in

> How about getting permission to use the photo in the first place,
> instead of giving all photographers a bad name?

I always do that, plus send out a CD of the original photos to anyone I
take photos of.

Thanks.

--
GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com
June 30, 2005 5:45:38 AM

Then why do you get takedown requests? Obviously the pictures are up and
your subjects don't want them to be. Don't do that.

--

> "Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in
>
> > How about getting permission to use the photo in the first place,
> > instead of giving all photographers a bad name?
> >
> I always do that, plus send out a CD of the original photos to anyone I
> take photos of.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
> The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
> My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
> Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:36:44 AM

"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in news:69Iwe.14165$Oi4.117612
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

> Then why do you get takedown requests? Obviously the pictures are up and
> your subjects don't want them to be. Don't do that.

It wasn't a legal request. It was more that they thought the photos were
unflatering. I would think it was a fair request as I am spending my own
time and money to give them free promotion.

--
GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com
July 2, 2005 12:39:40 AM

Ahh yes, the old "I am really doing it for them so what's the bitch"
approach. It never occurs to your type that people aren't really happy about
being "promoted" by bad photographers out to make a reputation as
papparazzo.

--

> "Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in news:69Iwe.14165$Oi4.117612
> @twister.southeast.rr.com:
>
> > Then why do you get takedown requests? Obviously the pictures are up and
> > your subjects don't want them to be. Don't do that.
> >
> It wasn't a legal request. It was more that they thought the photos were
> unflatering. I would think it was a fair request as I am spending my own
> time and money to give them free promotion.
>

> --
> GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
> The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
> My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
> Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 2:56:40 AM

Tony wrote:
> Ahh yes, the old "I am really doing it for them so what's the bitch"
> approach. It never occurs to your type that people aren't really happy about
> being "promoted" by bad photographers out to make a reputation as
> papparazzo.

You should know, top posting long sig schmuck.

jpmcw
!