Graphics Card Hiearchy Update

Do you think that listing the minimum CPU requirement for a graphics card on the hierarchy would be

• Yes, add the CPU bottleneck data

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No, that is not the intended purpose of the hierarchy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, there are too many variables to provide minimums

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

th3parasit3

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Tom's Hardware does a great job with creating a usable guide for the best graphics cards and CPUs for the price points. It also does a good job with ranking the graphics cards by tiers. I think it would be beneficial to add one additional piece of information, CPU bottlenecks for graphic cards.

Perhaps on the graphics card tiers they can add the minimum CPU to be paired with the tier. This is something that will help builders pick the proper CPU for their graphics card.

I understand that there are differences between 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8 core CPUs that will derive different results, but a consensus on what is the ideal minimum CPU to pair with your tier 1, tier 2, tier 3, etc. graphics cards would be helpful.

For example, does a GTX 460 really need to be paired with a i5-2500 (4 cores) or would a i3-2100 (2 cores) be OK? Of course the add-on would also tell builders that if they are going to upgrade to a GTX 570 in a few months that instead of buying an i3-2100, that would work fine with a GTX460, you should instead opt for the i5-2400 at a minimum.

TRENDING THREADS