killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
higher clock speeds coming along, higher fsbs are being used but then again multipliers have reached 12.5x which is also high... that gives a current limit of what 12.5 x 133 give a 1663 mhz box with the athlons which is quite a low limit, is 166/333mhz ddr coming out soon, i have heard about the 150/300 but nothing of any faster ratings...

similar speeds to the ddr on the geforces would be needed fairly soon but the costs would be ludicrous...

you do not strengthen teh weak by weakening the strong

mpjesse

Splendid
I doubt official releases of a 166mhz FSB are going to come for a while, considering it took AMD and Intel years to go from 100mhz to 133mhz. The important part here is that bus speed has less to do with the processor and more to do with the chipset. 133mhz chipsets were out with old Slot A processors- AMD never officially released a Athlon (slot a)to run on a 133mhz bus, but it did so just fine. Same with the Athlon (thunderbird) B's... I have a 100mhz Athlon B running at 146mhz.

So, the question is: when will chipset manufacturers release a 166mhz chipset? I'd say sometime around fall. AMD won't be quick to get a processor out that "officially" supports 166mhz- but you can bet that the Athlon 4 will run just fine on a 166mhz FSB.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
good point, like the chipsets get faster the problem with overclocking cpus using fsb isnt the cpu itself is it (when you get decent cooling) its the pci and agp cards (pci to a greater degree making the sound fcuk up)

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

TRENDING THREADS