How to divide WAN access?


I came across a post that mentioned a small business that offered free wifi to their clients. Problem is that they want to separate the clients from accessing their personal computers on the same network.
Should I look into Windows HomeGroup?

After reading this, I noticed at school that when I connect to the wifi, and I try to see other hosts the network, I am the only one. Somehow the school is able to "VLAN" the wifi somehow. How do they accomplish this?

I would like to do this for my wifi at home when friends come over. Has anyone ever implemented something like this. Also can a standard Verison Fios Router have such a capability?

4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about divide access
  1. Some home routers now have a Guest wireless that is kept separate from the normal network.

    As for you school wifi, they are probably using a combination of vlan and ACLs to control traffic.
  2. I went out and searched for a router that supports the guest feature and found that the Cisco Valet supports it for the price of $90 bucks. Not too bad.

    I am really interested in how my school does it though. I not sure how it works, but can an ACL be setup to deny "network discovery" access to every user who authenticates? Being a school, it has to do this for 30,000+ students.

    One last thing, what does the setup of a campus area network look like? Is it just daisy chaining many routers together to provide wifi to each building?

    I am not setting it up but would like to know for educational purposes.
  3. Best answer
    They configure the ACLs by IP addresses, not necessarily by user, although with Active Directory they could.

    Typical large networks will have a main router at each building with enough IDFs (switch rooms) to provide network to the rest of the building.
    Each building router is then connected to a main router(s) that handle the traffic destined for the internet or other places outside on the WAN.

    My school network contains 15 buildings, 12 of them have a main router. Each outlying building connects by leased lines back to our main router(switch) - Cisco 6513 that handles all internet traffic and inter-building communication.
  4. Best answer selected by invulnarable27.
Ask a new question

Read More

LAN WiFi and Home Networking Networking Product