Justin

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

1. AT&T is set as my default connection.
2. control panel>keyboard>buttons>search is set to
a. Simple Web Page w/label
b. Display Label-Google
c.Address /uhttp://www.google.com

When I press the corresponding shortrcut key on the keyboard, AOL opens (I
do have an account, but do not use for my connection) and starts. I just
want it to go to google.com when I hit the button, as I already have an
active connection running using AT&T. What am I missing here? (HP PS2
Keyboard (2K-3)) Thanks!

Justin wrote:
> 1. AT&T is set as my default connection.
> 2. control panel>keyboard>buttons>search is set to
> a. Simple Web Page w/label
> b. Display Label-Google
> c.Address /uhttp://www.google.com
>
> When I press the corresponding shortrcut key on the keyboard, AOL
> opens (I do have an account, but do not use for my connection) and
> starts. I just want it to go to google.com when I hit the button, as
> I already have an active connection running using AT&T. What am I
> missing here? (HP PS2 Keyboard (2K-3)) Thanks!

You didn't say if your browser was Internet Explorer IE, but since you
are posting with OE, I'll assume that.

I don't understand the question as you've posed it and I don't know
about how that HP keyboard works about its shortcuts or what it looks
like inside your HP keyboard inside the CP / keyboard icon, but....

.... if I wanted to go to google when I started up Internet Explorer, I
would make it my home page in a normal non-AOL Internet Explorer, and I
would configure IE/ Connections/ and set 'Dial whenever a network
connection is not present'

Then, if you click open IE it will/should want to go to homepage google
and 'normal' IE will/should use your ATT dialup connection as configured
and dial if it needs to connect and not dial if it is already connected.

One of the problems with having AOLware installed is how it wants to
take over your sockets. It sounds to me like your browser is trying to
be an AOL browser.

--
Mike Easter

Justin

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Now I'm even more confused.

>>I don't understand the question as you've posed it and I don't know
>>about how that HP keyboard works about its shortcuts or what it looks
>>like inside your HP keyboard inside the CP / keyboard icon, but....
>
> Are you angry you do not understand the question as they have posed it
> and you do not know about how that hp keyboard works about it is
> shortcuts or what it looks like inside their hp keyboard inside the
> cp keyboard icon?
>
> --
> Lady Chatterly
>
> "A bot it may be, but somebody set it up in the first place. They
> don't just wander around like viruses." -- Aetyr

Justin

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I use Firefox. I am trying to set the Search Shortcut Key on my Keyboard to
go to google.com every time I hit it. It is not. It is opening the AOL
software looking to make an Internet Connection first, not recognizing that
there is already a connection present through my default AT&T connection. I
believe I have the key set correctly through the control panel, but I can't
figure how to make the system stop opening AOL every I press the keyboard
shortcut key.

"Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in message
> Justin wrote:
>> 1. AT&T is set as my default connection.
>> 2. control panel>keyboard>buttons>search is set to
>> a. Simple Web Page w/label
>> b. Display Label-Google
>> c.Address /uhttp://www.google.com
>>
>> When I press the corresponding shortrcut key on the keyboard, AOL
>> opens (I do have an account, but do not use for my connection) and
>> starts. I just want it to go to google.com when I hit the button, as
>> I already have an active connection running using AT&T. What am I
>> missing here? (HP PS2 Keyboard (2K-3)) Thanks!
>
> You didn't say if your browser was Internet Explorer IE, but since you
> are posting with OE, I'll assume that.
>
> I don't understand the question as you've posed it and I don't know
> about how that HP keyboard works about its shortcuts or what it looks
> like inside your HP keyboard inside the CP / keyboard icon, but....
>
> ... if I wanted to go to google when I started up Internet Explorer, I
> would make it my home page in a normal non-AOL Internet Explorer, and I
> would configure IE/ Connections/ and set 'Dial whenever a network
> connection is not present'
>
> Then, if you click open IE it will/should want to go to homepage google
> and 'normal' IE will/should use your ATT dialup connection as configured
> and dial if it needs to connect and not dial if it is already connected.
>
> One of the problems with having AOLware installed is how it wants to
> take over your sockets. It sounds to me like your browser is trying to
> be an AOL browser.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

There is a program on your machine that controls the Hotkeys on the
keyboard. Use that to change the key for the program/link/whatever that you
want to use. This a 3rd party program. Not part of XP.

Try HP website help.

technical support -2004 Standard Keyboard PS/2
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?locale=en_US&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=405291&lang=en&cc=us

Support & Drivers
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:316fcnF33qcroU1@individual.net,
Justin <anonymous@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> I use Firefox. I am trying to set the Search Shortcut Key on my
> Keyboard to go to google.com every time I hit it. It is not. It is
> opening the AOL software looking to make an Internet Connection
> first, not recognizing that there is already a connection present
> through my default AT&T connection. I believe I have the key set
> correctly through the control panel, but I can't figure how to make
> the system stop opening AOL every I press the keyboard shortcut key.
>

> "Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in message
>> Justin wrote:
>>> 1. AT&T is set as my default connection.
>>> 2. control panel>keyboard>buttons>search is set to
>>> a. Simple Web Page w/label
>>> b. Display Label-Google
>>> c.Address /uhttp://www.google.com
>>>
>>> When I press the corresponding shortrcut key on the keyboard, AOL
>>> opens (I do have an account, but do not use for my connection) and
>>> starts. I just want it to go to google.com when I hit the button, as
>>> I already have an active connection running using AT&T. What am I
>>> missing here? (HP PS2 Keyboard (2K-3)) Thanks!
>>
>> You didn't say if your browser was Internet Explorer IE, but since
>> you are posting with OE, I'll assume that.
>>
>> I don't understand the question as you've posed it and I don't know
>> about how that HP keyboard works about its shortcuts or what it looks
>> like inside your HP keyboard inside the CP / keyboard icon, but....
>>
>> ... if I wanted to go to google when I started up Internet Explorer,
>> I would make it my home page in a normal non-AOL Internet Explorer,
>> and I would configure IE/ Connections/ and set 'Dial whenever a
>> network connection is not present'
>>
>> Then, if you click open IE it will/should want to go to homepage
>> google and 'normal' IE will/should use your ATT dialup connection as
>> configured and dial if it needs to connect and not dial if it is
>> already connected.
>>
>> One of the problems with having AOLware installed is how it wants to
>> take over your sockets. It sounds to me like your browser is trying
>> to be an AOL browser.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Easter

Kris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Justin, - It took me some time and actually I am still messing with the
buttons, I also don't view the web via aol but it opens that way. I fixed
one...... but look at this page for some help.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bph07179&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=405291&locale=en_US