Intel i3 2130

theProbe

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hi. I'm curious if i need a GPU if i get this cpu for SC2? What gpu is the equivalent of the integrated graphics on this i3?

The integrated graphics on Intel CPUs is inferior to pretty much any half-way competent discrete graphics card.

Also, I would not pay $150 for the i3-2130. I would suggest you go with an i3-2120 which is $15 bucks cheaper, or go straight up to i5-2400. The i3-2130 is at a bad price point for the performance it offers in comparison to other products. Its not really *that* much better than an i3-2120, and its still architecturally speaking, half the CPU an i5 is.

My advice would be to get a video card like a 7770, 6850, 6870 to pair it with. I don't think you're going to max out SC2 on Intel HD2000 integrated graphics lol.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

completely agree with this, im not really sure why anyone would buy the 2130 over the 2120, 25 bucks for .1 GHz performance isnt worth it

motorneuron

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Yeah, if you want an all-in-one solution for moderate-intensity gaming, you need an AMD APU, especially at that price. (The HD 4000 graphics engine released with Ivy Bridge is significantly better than Sandy Bridge's integrated video, but there aren't any Ivy Bridge i3's with HD4000 out for desktop yet.)

HD4000 while an improvement over HD2000 and 3000, are still inferior to AMD Llano, and even more so inferior to the new AMD trinity APUs. Intel is a long way away from having their integrated graphics taken seriously.

Now as far as Ivy Bridge i3s with HD4000. I'm not sure thats going to happen. Its my understanding (and I may be wrong), that only Intels high end CPUs like i5s and i7s are getting HD4000. Ivy Bridge i3s are probably not going to have it.

Even if i3s do get HD4000, discrete graphics is still the best way to go for gamers. Llano/Trinity if you want an all-in-one solution, but even these still aren't ready to replace discrete graphics.

theProbe

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Well i was thinking of using the integrated graphics untill i get enough $$$ for a decent gpu. I am i a hunt for a 4GHz dual core cpu. Can a 2120 be overclocked to 4ghz and be stable and safe?

No. But a Phenom II can.

For intel you need a "K" model CPU, this is not offered on any i3 model. I'm told you can play with the turbo on an i3 if your motherboard will allow it, but you're not getting it 4.0. There are 2 ways to overclock a CPU, the multiplier and ref clock. K in the Intel model number denotes an unlocked multiplier. Overclocking an Intel CPU at the ref clock is a very bad idea, too many things run off that base frequency, and you can only up the ref clock 2 or 3 mhz before the whole system comes crashing down. Its advisable not to do it at all.

Phenom II is a quad core yes. What is better? Depends on what you're doing with it. They game about the same, the i3 is a little better in some games but not better enough to be noticeable, the difference is merely benchmarkable. The Phenom II has better multi-threading performance.

Considering the Phenom II 965 is only $110, yea it would be a much better choice than a 2130. Even getting a $20-30 CPU cooler to overclock, its still a good buy.

i3 is better than the 965BE for SC2.
StarCraftII.png

SC2 is Intel optimized, so if you want the best experience get an i3.

If you can afford it yea. But if budget is a concern, a Phenom II even with a mild discrete graphics card is still going to own 2500Ks integrated graphics. Depends on how long the OP is planning to save up for a graphics card I guess. You really don't need a 2500K to max out Starcraft II. An i3-2120 or Phenom II with a video card like a 6850/6870 will do it.

What do you consider "general PC usage"? If you mean surfing the web, typing something up on MS office, pretty much any CPU can do that for you, with zero discernible difference.

Now if you mean applications that can really take advantage of the extra cores like Video editing, possibly using Hypercam to record games while playing them (as far as I know this hasn't been benched so I say this with an "*"), but I do no that Hypercam uses multi-core, so it stands to reason. Media encoding (converting videos to other formats), yes the Phenom II will perform better in such things.

theProbe

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
I guess the 2120 is the best buy for my needs... Although im sad that it can't be overclocked so i can't put my cooler to good use :(

Up to you, like I said you can't go wrong either way for what I think you're looking to do. My preference would fall on the Phenom II, but I'm not going to tell you the i3 is a "bad idea", because it really isn't. The i3-2130 is a ripoff though, that I will maintain. lol.

Those benches Muffin and I linked, they're also 1920x1080p, if you were playing at a lower res, there wouldn't even be the 2FPS difference probably. You're definitely not getting 1080p with onboard graphics though lol.

Although muffin has a thread he started benching the onboard graphics, he might have something on SC2.

Maybe. The nice thing about all Blizzard games (Diablo, WoW, SC2) is they're pretty scalable, meaning you can usually find a smooth way to play it on pretty much any system, thats another reason I wasn't too particularly concerned what CPU you use regardless of what one bench says.

Ideally though, you will want to get a decent graphics card at some point, one thats more modern.