Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1st time build i5-3570k with incremental upgrades: good idea?

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2012 1:12:40 AM

Current Situation: I’ve had my trusty old Toshiba Satellite for almost 5 years now, and I’m concerned that it’s about to die on me. The signs are there. I’ve been backing up regularly, so no worries. But I need a PC for college (graduating in August) and I’ve decided that my next PC will be a custom built desktop. This is my first build, but I’ve spent a significant amount of time looking up components. I’ve based my build on the $1000 budget build, but will split purchasing it into segments. My idea is to get a strong, overclockable foundation for a CPU, mobo, case, and power supply, and build the rest from there. I want to keep the budget for this as low as possible (does $500 seem reasonable?) after sales, rebates, limited offers.

Later, as I get more cash, I plan to purchase additional parts: more RAM, one or two graphics cards (I’ll worry about replacing my first PSU when I start to worry about CF/SLI), more case fans, CPU cooler, SSD, another HDD, BD drive, maybe a TV tuner card, and wireless adapter to name some specifics.

Before you read the rest, is this a good idea? Or should I just buy a netbook/notebook for <$350 to get me by until I graduate in August and we know more about Ivy Bridge?

Approximate Purchase Date: Start buying in a couple weeks, upgrade by November?
Budget Range: $500? After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Current Needs: Word Processing, powerpoints, multitasking, Internet, Netflix, gaming: SWKOTOR low settings?
Future Needs: GAMING (GF3, MW3, Skyrim), HD video converting, multitasking, Netflix, internet, Word Processing, ppts,

Parts Not Required: OS (Windows 7), mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, Hard drive, DVD drive
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon

Parts Preferences: All parts are negotiable, but I really want to go with the new i5-3570k because of the HD 4000 graphics which should suffice for basic tasks until I get more money for a graphics card. And I think that an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is the best value with newer technology on it.

Overclocking: Later Definitely

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, but may upgrade.

Additional Comments: I understand that technology is constantly changing, but I really need to start this PC soon. I'm just looking to see if I have a solid base for upgrading in the future and if I'm headed in the right direction.
Current Build:
Purchasing Now:
CPU: i5-3570k $250 ($190 if I feel like the 2.5hr drive to MC)

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 (best value at $135?)

RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM $45 and took me forever to find some low profile RAM that was compatible with the Extreme4

PSU: any name brand 80+ certified >450w on sale for around $50-$60
Case: Rosewill Challenger U3 Or any other $50-$60 Case with decent cable management, good airflow, and room to grow. USB 3.0 front input would be nice too.

Purchasing later:
Graphics Card: Radeon 6870, GTX 560 (whatever I can afford)
HDD: anything with 64MB cache 6GB/s 1TB 7200RPM
CPU cooler: CM Hyper 212
SSD: again, something affordable

Thanks in advance for your input.
May 1, 2012 3:15:19 AM

Indeed, yours looks much like mine. I can only comment that I don't think you can afford an SSD especially with your budget.
I chose the Coolermaster Haf 912 (also a spot in it for SSD) for my case, but it doesn't have USB 3.0 in it - Not that I don't want it, but I couldn't find another case with good cooling, room for the ~10 in. GTX 560, and 3.0 USB. (I notice the case you chose is sold out)

Best solution

May 1, 2012 3:20:09 AM

No need for 64MB Cache if you have an SSD. Get a 3GB/s HDD too; SATA 6GB/s is only saturated by SSDs. Get the 6870 over the 560 as it is slightly more powerful, cheaper, and uses less power. Get the EVO over the Plus for the CPU Cooler.
Related resources
May 1, 2012 3:33:46 AM

zex95966 said:
Indeed, yours looks much like mine. I can only comment that I don't think you can afford an SSD especially with your budget.
I chose the Coolermaster Haf 912 (also a spot in it for SSD) for my case, but it doesn't have USB 3.0 in it - Not that I don't want it, but I couldn't find another case with good cooling, room for the ~10 in. GTX 560, and 3.0 USB. (I notice the case you chose is sold out)

Well no, I can't afford the SSD right now, but the point is to gradually build this, anticipating a well paying job upon graduating. And I just have to hope that the Challenger eventually gets in stock again. There was just a huge sale, so I'm not surprised it's out right now.
May 1, 2012 3:46:54 AM

azeem40 said:
No need for 64MB Cache if you have an SSD. Get a 3GB/s HDD too; SATA 6GB/s is only saturated by SSDs. Get the 6870 over the 560 as it is slightly more powerful, cheaper, and uses less power. Get the EVO over the Plus for the CPU Cooler.

Well I'll try to get an SSD before any other hard drives then. And thanks for info about the 3GB/s HDD. I just assumed that more was better, but I see that it is overkill. And I appreciate the input on the 6870 as well. I have a better idea of where I'm headed now.
May 1, 2012 3:49:43 AM

Best answer selected by jordonc.
May 1, 2012 5:24:11 AM

you're going to want a laptop in college. Also keep in mind that if you have roommates, they like to do stupid stuff to your electronics..... :fou: 

EDIT: just reading your post again... not sure if you mean you're graduating college in august or graduate highschool and are going off to college in august.
May 1, 2012 5:58:14 AM

Its unlikely that RAM is compatible with IB or SB

It might work , but I bet it rated more than 1.5 volts and that will void the warranty on your processor
May 1, 2012 8:45:32 AM

tribe2010 said:
you're going to want a laptop in college. Also keep in mind that if you have roommates, they like to do stupid stuff to your electronics..... :fou: 

EDIT: just reading your post again... not sure if you mean you're graduating college in august or graduate highschool and are going off to college in august.

Haha, my fault for not specifying. I'm definitely graduating from college, hopefully to get a job as an RN ASAP. And my laptop is still working. That's what I'm using. It's just on it's last leg. Overheating, bluescreening and such every once in a while. I've reset it to factory defaults on at least 3 occasions already...
Edit: And I would love to get to microcenter. It's just that the nearest one is in Detroit and and hour and half trip, one way. Might be worth a trip to save compared to Newegg though...
May 1, 2012 8:53:53 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Its unlikely that RAM is compatible with IB or SB

It might work , but I bet it rated more than 1.5 volts and that will void the warranty on your processor

Hmm. Well I am completely open to other RAM. Like I said, I'm not 100% set on any of the parts. But I picked that RAM after checking the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 RAM compatibility list. It was just the first one that I could find that was 8GB on two cards and actually compatible for less than $50, and I looked for a good while. What suggestions do you have for me?

Edit:
So I went and did some actual searching, rather than rely on you guys for everything. You're right about the recommended voltage requirements for IB. 1.5 is supposed to be the max, and could void my warranty. I didn't find an exact answer to that, but to be safe, I went and found a few modules that should meet the bill. I figured something at 1600MHz should be good, but one's 1866, and the Sniper is only 1.25v. I would appreciate any input on which to get.

G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
May 25, 2012 11:09:03 PM

You don't have to select ram that is on the mobo list. They are usually slow to update the list and don't check every single brand, it would cost too much. Most any quality ram will work, just get low pro stuff, but sounds like you already know that.
May 25, 2012 11:54:40 PM

Yeah, I kind of figured that out the hard way. I spent at least and hour, maybe 2 going through the list that the manufacturer has up and copying and pasting model numbers into newegg and amazon. But in the end, I changed to the Gigabyte Z77X UD3H anyway.
!