How to get my freecom 750gb to work with windows 7

Leon_69

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Guys, I have tried everything without success. The problem is that it shows as a devie in "My Computer" for max 30 seconds and shuts down. Then it flashes on and off constantly.
This damn HD I got for Christmas connects to every other PC but mine. The others are all running XP. Will Win7 ever be compatible to these gadgets?
Please help?

Should not be a windows xp / Windows 7 issue, is it's possible, just not the most likely.

If it works in other computers and not jours, my first instinct would be the USB socket and the power provided to the device. USB2 is limited to 0.5 Amps (2.5 Watts). While the drive may be listed as low power and does not require additional power I take this with a grain of salt.

Try this, Hopefully you have a Powered usb hub. Most powered Hubs use a 2.0 Amp brick. Plug that into your computer and the HDD into the Hub. If that fixes the problem, you now the reason. And Yes I've seen this on some HDDs - works on some computers - just not all. and it has turned out to be a power issue.

Added. They make a cable that plugs into the drive, but the end that plugs into the computer has 2 usb 3 connectors. One for Power and data, and the second just power, provides more "juice" to the drive.

Leon_69

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hi Chief,
Thanks for the advice. I am by no means a techno Geek. In fact I am rather very limited when it comes to computer jargin. I am going to try your suggestion and hopefully we get it sorted.

Leon_69

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks pal,
One day when I have a bit more time we can have a good chat. I am also heading for retirement, but with the economy being what it is, I will probably work till my last breath.

Lets see, Retired from USAF 1983, Worked @ nasa (contractor not Civil service) until 2004. Funds were short and project got cut so let go/retired. In 2008 they called me up and asked if I'd like to come back to work - causal time, No set hours and <20 hrs per week. That lasted for awhile, bumped up to part time Min 20 hrs/wk), now get paid 1/2 time for holidays and 2 weeks vac. Last year avg 30hrs/week. The nice thing is if the Pis^&% me off, I can always say SHOVE IT.

Leon_69

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Hi Chief,
Good for you with the sideline job.
Your idea with the extra boost of power did not do the trick either.
I carried out your instructions with a double connect cable I had lying around and alas no joy.
It's a wonderful day here in sunny South Africa.
Cheers.
Leon.