Sign in with
Your question

Another new build that need some advice

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2012 1:24:33 AM

Hello ,

I am building a new gaming rig.

Here are the spec I am looking for and what might change depending of your opinions.

I will not SLI / CrossFire and will overclock CPU if it actualy helps in games ..

Budget is around 1500$ before taxes

So here it goes :

PSU : CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ( if any lower cost / better PSU let me know )

CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) Right now I have the choice of going IVY or Sandy. I`ve heard that going from Sandy to IVY is not worth it but since this is a new system should i go with IVY ? Looks like IVY runs 20 degrees hotter and doesn`t perform more than 5% better than Sandy 2500k

Case : SILVERSTONE RAVEN Series RV03B-WA ( Really liked this one with the dust filters , but im open to any other suggestion that might lower the cost of the rig. )

GPU : XFX Double D Black Edition FX-795A-TDBC Radeon HD 7950 3GB ( GTX 680 is out of stock everywhere ... if i want to keep it around 400$ for a GPU what is my best choice ? Never been with ATI before for graphics just heard thir drivers are not the best ! )

RAM : 2X CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ( have to run some VM`s )

Motherboard : ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 ( Any motherboard at a lower cost for same performance ? Asus have always been good to me :wahoo:  )

SSD : Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT120A3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive( I`ve heard sooo many horror stories with the SAND FORCE controllers that I wanted to go with something more stable ... unless there are some newer / better / stable drive out there ... still looking to lower cost too if possible.

CPU Cooling : COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

If cost can be reduced somewhere in this build to put it on a higher end GPU , that is fine with me. Also i am not in a RUSH of buying it since i currently run

Core 2 Quaq Q6600
4gb RAM
8800GTX
P5k Premium

This system is almost 5 years old right now and will be used by my 4 years old son. It stills run game but a low details ... If this new rig could last another 4-5 years of gaming that would be awsome :D 

Thanks and a very nice forum BTW :D  :wahoo: 

More about : build advice

May 1, 2012 1:25:46 AM

550W is plenty of power for one 7950, so get the XFX 550W PSU. :) 
m
l
May 1, 2012 10:37:56 AM

Thanks , any other suggestions ?
m
l
!