Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading - New Computer or New Hardware?

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2012 1:44:55 AM

Hey guys!

Right now I'm running an Intel E8400 Duo with 4 gigs of RAM and a GTX 9800+ video card.

I do some very intensive video editing pretty much daily. I also record in my audio (music) in my studio. The video editing is extremely painful and I'm done with dealing with a slideshow of frames when trying to edit. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now.

So since the Ivy Bridge just came out I figure I might as well go for the newest technology.

My plan is to basically use the same power supply and the HD's/disk drives (of course I have to reformat the HD's) and install everything into that case.

I'm looking at the Intel 3770. I don't plan on overclocking because it's more money to get the 3770K and I want to be stable and cool. Cooling is a unique situation with my setup because my computer case is inside a sealed wooden box with an invent vent fan pulling air from a hole in the front of the box out. This is for sound isolation in the studio and my current setup runs at no different temperatures than outside.

I obviously need to upgrade my motherboard from the 775 socket to the 1155 for the Ivy Bridge. I was thinking about the ASRock Z77 Extreme4. Is this a good choice and is the Extreme6 that much of a difference for it to be worth it?

I figure I'll go with 16GB of RAM 2X8 so I can always add 2 more sticks of 8 to get 32GB in the future.

The last thing is the video card. I think I'll stick with the 9800+ for now and leave that open to upgrade in the future (I'd like a GPU since my video editor supports GPU playback and rendering). That 9800+ is pretty old so I don't know how that compares to the newer stuff these days. I haven't looked that up yet.

After going through all this, I now think that I might be better off just buying an entirely new rig. It should be about 550 to 600 dollars to upgrade the motherboard, get the processor and half the RAM (16GB). Getting a whole new system is about double that. I think I'd still rather go with swapping out the parts but it may not be worth it in the long run.

Also is it worth it to go with the Ivy bridge or should I go with the 2700K? I think any upgrade here is going to make a world of a difference anyway since I'll be coming form a duo to a quad. I calculated that it would be about a 280% + increase in performance.

Any suggestions on what I should go for? I'm not doing any gaming so this is just for video editing and music production. Thanks!
May 6, 2012 3:08:44 PM

Any suggestions guys? I'm still leaning towards replacing the motherboard rather than getting a new unit. My only concern is finding all the drivers for everything, but that shouldn't be too hard. I'm thinking about ordering the parts this week if I go through with keeping the old case so I'll start gathering around the drivers for everything.
September 10, 2012 1:18:37 AM

I am also getting a similar setup, but with 8GB RAM and H77 mobo. I'm pretty sure the 3770 will be fine, unless your a hardcore renderer and want it done super quick.
September 10, 2012 1:24:07 AM

The GPU utilisation depends on the software you're using, upgrade if your GPU will speed it up. The last time I remember, video rendering was mostly CPU based, but that was a long time ago.
Related resources
!