Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SLI'ing msi gtx 580 xtreme with a different 580

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2012 2:23:51 AM

Hey guys! So I bought an msi GTX 580 lightning xtreme edition a while back.
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N580GTX-Lightning-Xtreme...
So here's my dilemma, I can't purchase anymore of these because they have discontinued it. There is only 3 or 4 left online and I don't see myself getting another model any time soon. However, I was trying to research if this card is compatible to other 580's that have the same dedicated memory. I read somewhere that you need the EXACT same model, but I read other places that 580's should be compatible.... I'm praying that I can, in the future, buy another 580 and SLI but if not I might as well purchase the freaking card....

Thanks again for the help!
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 2:30:35 AM

Well I know for sure that in order to SLI two cards, it is much better from the performance point of view that the cards are exactly the same. If the cards are not the same, then you will not be able to reach high performance as the slower of the two cards will be what they both run at speed wise. I don't think you will have a problem though, as both cards are of the same model
Score
February 24, 2012 2:37:11 AM

Nonono. So if you look at the model, it is a special edition (that is why they discontinued it). I understand i want the same model in preference, but the card isn't being produced anymore at ALL. So my question was if it was okay to buy another 580 such as a:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
So that's my dilemma
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 2:41:20 AM

you do not need the exact same model, or brand for that matter.

what matters is the core speed, memory speed and shaders.

match these up and ur good. if u dont then the faster of the 2 will be forced to drop to the slower one's speeds.
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 2:47:48 AM

All that is required is having the same GPU (IE: 580) and the same amount of vram. Various OC speeds, manufacturer, etc. are irrelevant. The pair will run at the lower rated card's speed if they are different. Obviously it is a waste to spend extra cash on a faster card than the one you already have as it will just get automatically down clocked.
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 3:04:45 AM

HugoStiglitz said:

match these up and ur good. if u dont then the faster of the 2 will be forced to drop to the slower one's speeds.

+1.
This guy has just answered you perfectly.
Score
February 24, 2012 3:21:25 PM

Sweet! Thanks a lot guys! Now just having trouble finding a match.... But thanks once again!
Score
February 24, 2012 5:51:45 PM

Best answer selected by and11590.
Score
February 24, 2012 5:52:29 PM

HugoStiglitz said:

Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 8:13:27 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!