When asked for advice on new system

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
I would like to see people here be more gentle when a newcomer asks for advice on a new system purchase. I read so many responses that outlandishly scorn on those who plan to buy a prebuilt system and almost coerce them to build on their own. I admit that some of those advice are well phrased and well taken as well, but more are very aggressive and sometimes are downright insulting.

We should understand that some people are really scared of handling electronics for reason, and for them, I would definitely recommend to buy a decent prebuilt system (not Dell, HP, or those major brands). They have limited skills, information (sometimes lack of base knowledge to digest information provided here), and less resources to troubleshoot when they have issues with their system. There are needs for prebuilt systems and that's why such boutique builders are doing their business. It's more productive to lead them to purchase the optimal machine for their needs rather than coercing them to build their own one with risks to their peace of mind and financial or time loss.

If you really want to help them honing their building skills, you can just gently point toward that direction, instead of shouting "are you out of your mind?"

James McKeane

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment.