Sign in with
Your question

My computer is being dumb.

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2012 2:46:41 AM

My computer has been doing thsi for some time now and It's really starting to get on my last nerve.

Last august I bought an HD 5770 and a new antec true power 650 watt power supply for my pc. I hooked everything up and the system ran totally stable. I overclocked my cpu using ez overclock which came with my motherboard and my pc continued running stable for about 3 weeks and i began getting random freezes and lock ups. No error message no BSOD nothing. It seems like after a lock up after I hard reboot my system it will either lock up as soon as I log onto windows or during the windows loading screen. Sometimes my pc will even freeze whenever the name of my motherboard comes on as soon as I turn on my pc right after a lock up. This made me think it was a heating issue

I got rid of my overclock and returned my cpu back to normal and my pc continued locking up even after that. I went to the air force in september and just returned 2 weeks ago and I decided to try out my pc to see if for some reason it might have magically fixed itself, and yet it still froze. So I formatted my HD and reinstalled windows 7 and my computer seemed to run fairly stable for about a week or two then I started getting random crashes again. It seemed like it happened as soon as I updated the drivers on my 5770 to the newest ones, so I thought maybe that was the culprit. Uninstalled the drivers and I'm still getting crashes. I figured maybe their was a hidden nvidia driver somewhere on my system so i downloaded a program to find all my drivers and deleted every nvidia driver I had on my system because my mobo has a built in nvidia graphics chip thingy. Still had lock ups and freezing.

I figured maybe it had something to do with my graphics card being broken since it seemed to have happened shortly after I put my new gpu in my pc. It seems that whenever I'm not using my graphics card I don't have any crashes, so I thought maybe that's what the culprit was. I ran OCCT on it for about 20 minutes and I came back with 0 errors and a pretty decent temperature (70 degrees under a full load and about 38 during idle). I ran my cpu for an hour under occt and came back with no errors and my cpu temp under full load was about 68 degrees. So I ruled out my cpu and gpu (kind of).

I ran memtest86+ to check my ram and I got 6 errors with both of my ram sticks inserted into the mobo. But no errors whenever I had each stick inserted seperately. This made me think it might be a power issue so I bumped up my Memory voltage from 1.8 to 1.85 ran memtest for about 9 passes and it came back without any errors, so I assumed that fixed my problem. Got back on windows and I still had a lock up.

Right Now I'm totally stumped. I really have no clue as to what's going on with my pc. If someone could help me that would be awesome.

More about : computer dumb

a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2012 4:28:51 AM

xJakex068 said:
I ran memtest86+ to check my ram and I got 6 errors with both of my ram sticks inserted into the mobo. But no errors whenever I had each stick inserted seperately. This made me think it might be a power issue so I bumped up my Memory voltage from 1.8 to 1.85 ran memtest for about 9 passes and it came back without any errors, so I assumed that fixed my problem. Got back on windows and I still had a lock up.

I'd say the memory is the obvious place to look. Errors in memtest should not happen. And I'd say the most common cause of "random" freezes and lockups is usually when your RAM timings or voltage is off, or the RAM itself is going bad.

It would help to know the full specs of the RAM, maybe that would be a clue. If you have access to any other set of RAM that you could borrow, try that as well and see if the problem goes away.

One other problem that would be less common, but you still might as well check for, is to see if it makes a difference which slot(s) you put the RAM into. If one of the slots themselves is going bad, that could explain the seemingly conflicting test results - if you just happen to be testing the single sticks in a good slot, but then using the bad slot when you try both sticks, for example. It's worth a shot if you've got nothing better to do.
m
l
May 2, 2012 2:36:34 AM

It may be due to registry errors and resource wasting crap on the system. Run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both.
http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Then I'd uninstall the graphics drivers again and run Driver Sweeper from Safe Mode. Have it remove any Nvidia and AMD driver remnants it finds. Reboot and install the latest driver for your card/O.S.
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2012 4:18:32 AM

box o rocks said:
It may be due to registry errors and resource wasting crap on the system. Run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both.
http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Then I'd uninstall the graphics drivers again and run Driver Sweeper from Safe Mode. Have it remove any Nvidia and AMD driver remnants it finds. Reboot and install the latest driver for your card/O.S.
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

Yeah, but he formatted and did a clean reinstall of Windows. That ought to have taken care of any software/driver issues. Plus, the fact that his machine sometimes locks up during the splash screen and POST, before the OS loads, also pretty well rules out software problems.

Also, to the OP: It definitely doesn't sound like overheating. Usually the computer won't freeze or reboot, it just shuts itself down. And then often won't come back on for several minutes until it's cooled down.

The fact that it happens both before, during and after the OS has loaded, really seems to point to a hardware problem, and the type of freezing suggests RAM. Sometimes it can be tricky to diagnose. You can, for instance, get tiny cracks that develop in the solder, so sometimes it behaves completely normally and error-free, but other times it starts hanging and crashing without you having done anything to provoke it. The fact that you're seeing one crash followed by a cluster of others immediately afterward could suggest something like this.
m
l
!