Sign in with
Your question

Computer not using gpu as default

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2012 4:13:53 AM

Just build my first computer. Everything is installed properly, got MB and graphics card drivers installed from the disc that came with them.

Build
MB - asrock z68 pro3 gen3
CPU intel i5-2500k
GPU - Sapphire Radeon 6870 1g
Power supply - rosewill 630w (pretty sure it isn't this)
Ram - 2x4gb corsair vengeance ddr3 1600
HDD - Samsung 500gb 7200 rpm
disk drive - lightscribe 24x dvdrw

been through bios, checked everything I could. When i /dxdiag it showed the graphics as the integrated intel hd 3000. Shouldn't it be showing up as my radeon?

Side note: My cpu fan isn't spinning for some reason, it's plugged in though. suggestions?

Thank you, I appreciate all and any help.

More about : computer gpu default

a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 4:21:21 AM

Go to UEFI Screen ( BIOS) Advance Screen and tehn go to "North Bridge Configuration"

Primary Graphics Adapter -> PCI-E

IGD Multi-Monitor -> Disable

That should work
m
l
February 24, 2012 4:38:37 AM

Did that, didn't work. When I /dxdiag it still showed the intel integrated graphics card there instead of my radeon. Could I have the drivers installed wrong? or something..anything? I'm kind of freaking out because I just put together this brand new computer, managed not to mess anything up. Then it uses intel HD 3000 over my radeon 6870!

P.s. I'm going to bed, I'll try and suggestions and reply in the morning, thank you.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 2:02:16 PM

`Do you plug the extra PCI-E Power 6 pin or 8 pin to you card...on device manager do you see other driver missing or have problem
m
l
February 24, 2012 2:36:37 PM

Dekadenz said:
Side note: My cpu fan isn't spinning for some reason, it's plugged in though. suggestions?

Something isn't plugged in right.

The GPU should have 2x PCIE 6 pin power connections.
The CPU should have one connection to the mobo marked CPU_Fan.

Like sonex said, make sure you've got the PCIE set in your BIOS as the primary booting GPU and that you Save/Exit rather than Discard/Exit.

I'm mostly bothered that your CPU fan isn't spinning.
m
l
February 24, 2012 2:53:41 PM

you must connect your monitor to the gpu not the one on your mother board...
m
l
February 24, 2012 3:06:51 PM

Pretty sure if he's got the monitor plugged in to the wrong thing, it won't display anything.

If he's using the Lucid Virtua feature, there are two methods. 1 is plugging in to the GPU and one is plugging in to the mobo. Which method is driven by the bios choice as noted above. If PCIE is chosen, then it will look for the discrete card. If iGPU is chosen as the primary, it will look for the mobo then switch dynamically once it sense a game is being played.

If he's got the monitor plugged in to the wrong one, given the bios setting, it will just display a black screen.

I think his issue is that he's got the display working, just that the discrete card isn't being recognized.

The mobo manual has a chapter on how exactly this needs to be set up to work. But if he's positive that was done right....and the fact that the CPU fan isn't spinning.....tells me something else is going on. Maybe 2 different problems, maybe related.
m
l
February 24, 2012 6:21:14 PM

So, the graphics card wasn't set properly I set it properly, fixed the cpu fan. Plugged computer back in, power supply made an odd sound and now NOTHING will turn on. Yes I discharged myself, yes everything is plugged in correctly. Now what?
m
l
February 24, 2012 6:38:32 PM

I'm a little confused. What do you mean nothing will turn on? If nothing turns on, how do you know you fixed the CPU fan? Describe in greater detail what happened when you pushed the on switch. Did you hear the noise and the fans came on then went off? Is everything blowing but you can't see the screen? Can you describe the noise the PSU made? Say in greater detail, what happend, and the order that it all happened, and the final state of things.
m
l
February 24, 2012 7:09:52 PM

I pushed my graphics card further in, and realized I had to lock the cpu fan in place, I imagine that most likely fixed my prior issues. I put it back together plugged the power supply back in and my blue led started flashing/ my case and gpu fans were trying to spin but weren't able to continuously. I unplugged it, checked my connections and plugged it back in. It made a sound, I really don't know how to describe it, it didn't sound like a popping, kind of a very dull thud. Now nothing happens when I hit the power button. tried unplugging it, leaving it, tried again. Nothing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 7:14:48 PM

Take out your Video card Completely ... try to make it work with the on board video first.
m
l
February 24, 2012 7:17:44 PM

Nothing turns on. PSU dead, sigh. Gotta rma it I guess.
m
l
February 24, 2012 7:21:47 PM

If you have another PSU around, try that, but without the video card.

And whenever building a PC, try powering it up first before connecting it to the card, the case, etc. Just plug in memory, CPU, CPU cooler, and the PSU and start it up.

I would also recommend going with Corsair, Antec, or OCX for your next PSU. http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore/?psu=yes can help you decide how big you need.
m
l
February 24, 2012 8:21:25 PM

I'm gonna buy an antec from a local retailer, RMA-ing this thing monday I guess. Sigh. I sure hope it didn't fry anything!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 3:26:53 AM

Dekadenz said:
I'm gonna buy an antec from a local retailer, RMA-ing this thing monday I guess. Sigh. I sure hope it didn't fry anything!

Hate to be a killjoy but you probably did... machine was working until you messed with it. Just so you know, your board has,, and I quote, "Lucid Virtu Switchable Graphics" - so probably nothing was wrong in the first place. My Z68 ASRock board has the same feature but I knew that prior to buying it.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Pro3%...
m
l
February 25, 2012 5:04:57 AM

All I did was push the video card in, it wasn't all the way in the slot. Then the PSU exhibited signs of dying, died. Shouldn't have fried anything.
m
l
February 25, 2012 2:47:51 PM

RussK1 said:
Hate to be a killjoy but you probably did... machine was working until you messed with it. Just so you know, your board has,, and I quote, "Lucid Virtu Switchable Graphics" - so probably nothing was wrong in the first place. My Z68 ASRock board has the same feature but I knew that prior to buying it.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Pro3%...

It was his first build and hopefully we can help him and he can learn from this. We've all jacked up something before.
m
l
February 25, 2012 10:52:09 PM

I really don't think the psu dying fried anything. It just died, from what I understand. Power supplies come DOA all the time. I'll replace it monday and hopefully everything will fire up.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 10:57:22 PM

What is the wattage of your PSU? What is its brand?

If it is a Unbranded PSU at 400W or lower, you can't run the graphic card.
If the graphic card is under-volted, it simply won't turn on.

Hope it helps! :) 
m
l
!