Sign in with
Your question

Sutiable Replacements for Stock NZXT Switch 810 Fans

Last response: in Components
August 14, 2012 8:19:24 PM

( I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section..)

Hello again. Basically I am looking for replacements for the NZXT stock fans that are currently installed in my Switch 810 case. Seeing as how I am planning on SLI'ing my GTX 670 later, and because I know very little about fans, I decided to ask you guys. The stock fans aren't bad but while playing Skyrim or any other game which puts a 90-100% load on my GPU, they get very loud and my temps skyrocket to 80-90 C. I really don't have a problem paying for quality fans, especially after having to replace 4 cheapo fans in my old desktop. Any suggestions?
a c 164 ) Power supply
August 14, 2012 8:36:01 PM

if you want high RPM fans, they will be loud. if you want silent fans, they will be lower RPM fans. 80-90c is not a skyrocketing temp, it's well within spec.
m
l
August 14, 2012 8:56:11 PM

ct1615 said:
if you want high RPM fans, they will be loud. if you want silent fans, they will be lower RPM fans. 80-90c is not a skyrocketing temp, it's well within spec.

Right now I have the two fans NZXT shipped the case with along with an Aerocool Shark Red Edition 120mm fan that I had laying around. That fan is loud and from what I've read more for liquid cooling (may be wrong but you can't post lies on the internet, right?)

I guess what I should have asked for is fans that strike a balance between cooling and noise. Also, how high of a temp is too high for that GTX 670?
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2012 8:57:55 PM

Forgot to add... for some reason (maybe the combination of fans or something) I have this screeching noise coming from my case at full load. Its sort of a low screech... not overwhelming but noticeable.
m
l
August 14, 2012 10:26:08 PM

dude setup a custom fan curve on your 670
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
August 14, 2012 11:27:18 PM

kyraiki said:
Forgot to add... for some reason (maybe the combination of fans or something) I have this screeching noise coming from my case at full load. Its sort of a low screech... not overwhelming but noticeable.

it's not a whining sound is it? that can be a bad coil in the PSU

your case fans run at a constant RPM. the screeching sound is most likely caused by a PMW fan in your PSU, CPU or GPU cooler
m
l
August 15, 2012 12:25:09 AM

Your case fans should not ramp up in rpm. Also my NZXT Switch 810 came with 4 fans. Mine are barely audible at all. Could it be your GPU?
m
l
August 15, 2012 10:20:09 AM

ct1615 said:
it's not a whining sound is it? that can be a bad coil in the PSU

your case fans run at a constant RPM. the screeching sound is most likely caused by a PMW fan in your PSU, CPU or GPU cooler

Nah. Thats the first thing I thought but I tried another PSU and thankfully it did the same thing. What is PMW though?
m
l
August 15, 2012 10:21:30 AM

jollycyborg said:
Your case fans should not ramp up in rpm. Also my NZXT Switch 810 came with 4 fans. Mine are barely audible at all. Could it be your GPU?

Really? hmm... I might just temporarily replace my GPU with another just to see if thats the problem later on today then.
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
August 15, 2012 11:21:54 AM

kyraiki said:
Nah. Thats the first thing I thought but I tried another PSU and thankfully it did the same thing. What is PMW though?

Pulse Width Modulation

in short; while most case fans stay at a constant RPM, PWM fans change RPM to compensate for higher or lower temps based on mobo readings. are you using a stock cooler on your CPU?
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:25:47 PM

No, I am using a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ currently. I think I may have found the problem... after swapping out the GPU and seeing it wasn't the problem, I narrowed it down to the non-NZXT fans. Namely the Aerocool shark ones I was using as exhaust. Apparently the combination of NZXT, Cooler Master, and Aerocool shark fans were producing that awful racket. Thanks for suggesting that I check the GPU; never would have narrowed it down like that. :D 

Now, what 120/140mm fans would be good for exhaust and CPU fans?
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
August 15, 2012 7:48:02 PM

i personally like fans from enermax, scythe, antec and noctua
m
l
!