Ivy Bridge current and future vs Sandy Bridge Now

shizzzon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I use Photoshop, DxO Optics Pro, CAD Software, Video editing\transcoding and multitask like crazy...

CPU power is a must for me..

Here pretty soon, i'm looking at upgrading from the older style Core2Quad to something beastly..

I had my eye for quite some time on the Sandy Bridge 6core but then Ivy Bridge started appearing..

One would think newer technology would succeed over older tech but some things i keep reading and not seeing is making me think twice...

So, i have some questions if anyone knows or has opinions.

I do not see Intel making ANY mention that Ivy Bridge will be released in anything larger than 4core... and if so, it looks like no time soon whatsoever... If that's true, then SB 6core is a winner in my book for the next few months.

Second, The Ivy Bridge cpus are using the older style 1155 socket.. I do not recall a newer cpu reverting back to older style socket which already has me curious on that move as well...

Now, they say they draw less power.. Well, that may be nice and all but a report i read states when overclocking the Ivy Bridge cpus, the Ivy's run ~20C HOTTER than the SB do.. That's a hellacious difference... Something about the thermal paste Intel has slapped on the IBs is terrible for OCing..
I shouldn't have to fix something that I purchase brand new and that's a turn off right there.

So.. what are some of your all's thoughts or info you can provide about future IV cpus or whatever pertaining to this?

I'd probably stick with a 6core SB and OC it to around 4ghz, no lower and stick with ddr31600(unless DDR4 is scheduled to be popping up soon.

I'll probably run 32gb RAM and dedicate ~18gb to a ramdisk.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Well to start Intel has two Platforms currently. Socket LGA 2011 and LGA 1155.

The LGA 1155 platform is mostly geared towards the Mainstream/Performance segment (Mid range) but you can find this platform even in the lower end of the spectrum.

The LGA 2011 platform is mostly geared towards the Power User/Enthusiast segment (High end).

The Sandy Bridge E 6 core CPUs are based on the same overall architecture as the Sandy Bridge 4 core CPUs with a few differences but overall perform as one would expect on a per core basis.

The Ivy Bridge CPUs, however, perform a tad better but not enough to overcome the two core deficit they have when compared to the Sandy Bridge E 6 core CPUs.

So Intel did not revert back to a "slower socket" with LGA 1155. Ivy Bridge was intended to be a Mainstream/Performance based product for LGA 1155. Ivy Bridge still can't touch 6-core Sandy Bridge E performance.

Therefore for your use there is nothing that can touch a Sandy Bridge E 6 Core cpu, consumer segment wise, right now.

Intel is supposed to release the Ivy Bridge "E" (enthusiast) replacements for SB-E about a year from now. Supposed to be compatible with current LGA2011 mobos with a BIOS update. There may even be an 8-core version according to an older rumor from late last year.

PS - while it is true that current Ivy Bridge CPUs do not overclock as high as SB CPUs, they do use less power - it is the temps that limit the max oc. From what I've read, most people easily get the 3770K up to 4.5GHz without excessive temps on air cooling. And remember that IB at 4.5GHz is about the same as SB at 4.7 or 4.8GHz performance-wise.

My experience with the 3770K at stock is 45 degrees C running Prime95 large FFT, with ambient temp at 27 degrees C, with a Zalman 9900 cooler. So that's less than 20 degrees above ambient with a decent air cooler.

I have run mine at 4GHz oc for weeks with no problems, although I only check the idle temps with the Asus AI Suite temp sensor (which is pretty close to the BIOS temp monitor as far as accuracy goes). And typically that is under 40 degrees C as well.

My guess is that oc capability will improve with later steppings - Sandy Bridge only oc'd around 4.8GHz on average when it was first released, IIRC.

My advice is that you go with a 6 core Intel® Core™ i7-3930K or the Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition processor as none of the current 3rd generation Intel Core processors will touch the performance of these processors on a heavily multi-threaded task.