Sign in with
Your question

I am looking into a new build, help appreciated

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2012 5:52:01 AM

Hey there,

First time in ages I am going for a completely new build (due to changing countries). I don't have a specific budget, so no budget limits for a critical part but I also do not want to go all out on silly components like SLI or a 8 core CPU. I will mention I will be using this computer for both gaming and video editing (although not studio level of video editing).

Anyway, a superficial look so far has given me this:

CPU: Intel I7-3820
Mainboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE
RAM: Either 8gb or 12gb (had no idea RAM became so cheap). Either way... Can anyone help me out what to go for? I remember last time I did a new build tighter timings were preferred over higher speed.
CPU Cooler: Should i stick to the stock or get a 3rd party one?
HDD: I want to go for 2 HDD at around 1.5T. I've had good experiences with black western digitals (no slow green ones), is that still the case?
Case: Lian Li PC-8FIB (or any other Lian Li alternative, I am a fanboy)
Video Card: Evga/Asus GTX 680 (if they are real and not a myth)
BD/DVD: LG BH10LS38
Monitor: That 500 USD Samsung 120mhz monitor
Audio Card: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion (or should I go for the Asus Xonar?)
PSU: OCZ 750W? OCZ PCP&C Silencer Mk II 750W?

Uhm that should be it. Ofc mouse and keyboard.

Thanks.

More about : build appreciated

May 1, 2012 4:56:52 PM

Fila said:
Hey there,

First time in ages I am going for a completely new build (due to changing countries). I don't have a specific budget, so no budget limits for a critical part but I also do not want to go all out on silly components like SLI or a 8 core CPU I will mention I will be using this computer for both gaming and video editing (although not studio level of video editing).

Anyway, a superficial look so far has given me this:

CPU: Intel I7-3820
Mainboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE
RAM: Either 8gb or 12gb (had no idea RAM became so cheap). Either way... Can anyone help me out what to go for? I remember last time I did a new build tighter timings were preferred over higher speed.
CPU Cooler: Should i stick to the stock or get a 3rd party one?
HDD: I want to go for 2 HDD at around 1.5T. I've had good experiences with black western digitals (no slow green ones), is that still the case?
Video Card: Evga/Asus GTX 680 (if they are real and not a myth)
Audio Card: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion (or should I go for the Asus Xonar?)
PSU: OCZ 750W? OCZ PCP&C Silencer Mk II 750W?

Uhm that should be it. Ofc mouse and keyboard.

Thanks.
If you really don't need SLI or 6/8 CPUs, then this build is kinda overkill. I would recommend a mid-high end Z77 (ASRock Z77 Extreme6) motherboard and a new ivy bridge i7 CPU. On RAM, I'd recommend 16GB of DDR3 1600. Unless you plan on overclocking, then the stock fan should be fine.

On the hard drives, I'd also recommend WDC Black. Just be prepared to pay WDC Black prices :-)

For this I think you should add a stupid fast SSD for the OS/primary drive.

May 1, 2012 6:46:18 PM

Hey,

Nope. I'm not going to overclock so I'll stick to the stock fan.

From past experience I'd rather invest more in the mainboard (even if it's overkill) because I've been burned a few times and whenever I bought an expensive mainboard I never had issues. But I will take a look at the ASRock you suggested.

Yes I know WDC Black are more expensive... but the speed is also the way I like it :) 

Is the PSU I picked ok?

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!
Related resources
May 1, 2012 7:06:32 PM

Fila said:
Hey,

From past experience I'd rather invest more in the mainboard (even if it's overkill) because I've been burned a few times and whenever I bought an expensive mainboard I never had issues. But I will take a look at the ASRock you suggested.

Yes I know WDC Black are more expensive... but the speed is also the way I like it :) 

Is the PSU I picked ok?

Unless you plan on SLI with the 680 (which you don't), then you should be find with good 80+ 600W+ PSU. I personally recommend either the SeaSonic M12II 620W or the Corsair 650TX-V2 to match the quality of your build. You can always save money and go with an EarthWatts 650.

Your experience with pricier motherboards may have been a positive one (although that isn't always the case), but AsRock is well regarded when it comes to quality, customer satisfaction, and service and support (so is ASUS, its cousin).

Also, I'd caution against spending $360 on a X79 motherboard that only has 3/5 eggs on Newegg. You should really read the reviews http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-...
May 1, 2012 7:20:29 PM

Fila said:
Hey,

Is the PSU I picked ok?

The PSU is great - it's silver-rated and actually made by Seasonic. I have the 950W model and it's easily one of the best PSUs I've owned so far.

If you want speed - with the HD shortages right now I really hesitate to pay the premiums for the Caviar Black drives. The 1.5TB and 2TB models run nearly $300, you don't want to spend that for a primary HD. You can get a solid SSD like a Crucial M4 and a 2TB green drive - that will be significantly faster than running a Caviar Black.

I definitely hear that about getting burned by cheap motherboards - I've built many a system and used lots of bad hardware in the past, which is why I never recommend junk brands - and there's a lot out there.

Quote:

Neither - don't waste your money. Put that in the GPU, storage, or elsewhere. The onboard audio will be fine if you're not using high end audio equipment.

Quote:
Also, I'd caution against spending $360 on a X79 motherboard that only has 3/5 eggs on Newegg. You should really read the reviews http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] llFullInfo

I've said it before and I'll say it again - do not use stores to judge products. The people who mostly write reviews are typically not experts. And the people who write bad reviews are complaining about bad RMAs or problems with customer service or UPS - that's not what makes a bad product. Use magazines, the main page of Tom's, and a variety of sources, but don't rely on Newegg or Tiger reviews only. That's a very bad idea.
May 2, 2012 1:46:02 AM

Oh some good stuff in here.

First of all, yes I am not planning on overclocking the gtx 680, neither the processor.

ASRock is completely new for me. The last time I did my own builds (in Germany and Malaysia) ASRock weren't really on the frontrunner market so I will definitely look into it.

I based my choice of picking the motherboard on a german site (from where I always bought my products while in Europe) which, so far, hasn't failed in plenty of years. But with that being said I moved to the US and products sometimes might differ.

>>Neither - don't waste your money. Put that in the GPU, storage, or elsewhere. The onboard audio will be fine if you're not using high end audio equipment.

Normally I won't BUT I have been saved (or specifically saved a friend) by the fact that I had a Fatal1ty audio card with an analog input which I was able to hook a Naga recording device from the 70's.

Thanks for the input so far, I'm definitely looking around and deciding more and more on what I will go on. Will post an updated build in the next few days.
I will probably go for the expensive audio card because of the previously mentioned story.
May 2, 2012 5:02:36 AM

Ok so here is the latest build idea...

CPU: Intel I7-3770 (mostly because of the premiere pro boost in performance)
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Professional LGA 1155
RAM: Kingston HyperX DIMM 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit
CPU Cooler: stock
HDD: Still thinking about this. I saw that 2TB WDC Black goes for 200 USD. Might pick one of those up and a 128gb SSD for the OS partition.
Video Card: Evga/Asus GTX 680
Audio Card: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion
PSU: OCZ PCP&C Silencer Mk II 750W

So what's your guys input on that?

Much appreciated.
May 2, 2012 4:39:55 PM

Fila said:
Ok so here is the latest build idea...

CPU: Intel I7-3770 (mostly because of the premiere pro boost in performance)
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Professional LGA 1155
RAM: Kingston HyperX DIMM 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit
CPU Cooler: stock
HDD: Still thinking about this. I saw that 2TB WDC Black goes for 200 USD. Might pick one of those up and a 128gb SSD for the OS partition.
Video Card: Evga/Asus GTX 680
Audio Card: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion
PSU: OCZ PCP&C Silencer Mk II 750W

So what's your guys input on that?

Much appreciated.
Looks great. Thoroughly researched, balanced and adequately powered. Great job!
May 5, 2012 11:30:17 PM

Oh I just realized something. I should look into buying an UPS as well. Any recommendations?

Guess I am mainly looking into something that helps against the power surges/fluctuations.

Also maybe give me like a 3-4 minute window in case the power goes down in which I have time to save whatever I am working on and close the computer.

Would something like this be ok: http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-1500VA-90...

Can I go for something that is cheaper? (like the 1000va model on there).
May 8, 2012 8:26:57 AM

Anyone?
!