Sign in with
Your question

Laptop random shutdown

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2012 1:19:46 PM

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so please excuse me for any mistakes.

I am having trouble with my laptop Acer Aspire 5741z its specs:

* Intel Pentium Dual Core (P6000) 1.86GHz
* 3GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM Memory
* 320GB (5400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
* 15.6" HD CineCrystal LED Screen
* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

The problems:

The system will completely shutdown between 2-5 minutes from it being turned on. It is not overheating as I cleaned out the heatsink & fan and re-applied thermal paste to the CPU.

My taken steps:

1. Ran Memtest86+ - No Faults Found on Ram
2. Ran Victoria 4.46b - S.M.A.R.T no faults on hard drive
3. Ran Video Memory Stress Test ce v1.21 - It found 11500+ errors and counting but the system shutdown before it was complete.

My question:

I suspect a faulty/failing graphics chip even though video display is fine with no artifacts. The stress test leads me to believe the graphics chip is my problem for it shutting down but need to verify this by running another stress test? Any ideas on a reliable program that I can make bootable and run in dos.

Thanks for your help.

More about : laptop random shutdown

a c 224 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 2:05:39 PM

Typically, the symptoms your are describing are heat and/or power related. Will the system boot into Safe Mode and operate "normally"? If so, that could also indicate a driver issue.

When you say the system is not overheating, how are you measuring your system temps?
February 24, 2012 2:27:42 PM

Hi thanks for your reply. I've not actually ran any program to check temps but the system is running fairly cool. Believe this or help me explain, I figured it could be related to the bios in some way so I was going to remove the cmos battery to reset it only to find it is soldered to the board, so I unsoldered it and now the system seems to stay on and hasn't shutdown. Could it have been a bad battery even though its giving 3.1v?

When I had the drive installed it did not boot to windows normal or safe made it blue screened with error: 0x0000007E it would complete a memory dump then shutdown.

I will connect the drive again without the battery soldered on and see how things go and then resolder the battery back on and see what happens.
Related resources
a c 224 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 2:56:08 PM

The battery only retains the BIOS settings and has not real impact on whether the system will boot/operate or not. I really suspect a defective motherboard as a result of the GPU at this point. It is very common with systems that age.
February 24, 2012 3:07:30 PM

Yes I am too aware of GPU failures occuring on laptops. At the moment im restoring system to factory and its not shutdown as yet, will continue until complete and post back my result.
a c 224 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 3:14:54 PM

Understood. Did you update any drivers just before the problem started happening (like the video drivers)?
February 24, 2012 3:22:08 PM

No updates, no software installed, just turned it on one day and this was happening.

As for the video memory stress test I ran it again before trying a factory restore it kept counting errors by the time I cancelled it there was 50,000+ errors but do not know what the erros mean or how I can verify that the errors are actually there.
a c 224 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 3:27:43 PM

I think you have a defective GPU. It really sounds like time for a replacement motherboard or a new laptop.
!