Sign in with
Your question

Help with new case and power supply

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 14, 2012 10:05:25 PM

Ok i have a Dell 530s, my plan is to upgrade it.

I am getting a 6870 off a friend and wanted a setup to go along with it. I am aware it will be bottlenecked, but i'm getting a good deal, so i rather get this.
Plus, by the end of the year cpu mobo will be upgraded as well, so that issue will be taken care of :) .

But can you help me with the power supply and case selection.

Dell Inspiron 530s Desktop
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor E6550 (2.33GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
4GB (4X1GB) NECC Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz SDRAM Memory Pre-Loaded Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Premium OEM Version (32-bit)
500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
256MB PCIe(TM) x16 ATI Radeon(TM) HD 2400 XT w/TV-Out, VGA and DVI
Integrated Sound Blaster(R) Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio Software
PSU - 250W

I have a dell 0RY007 motherboard.
Here are some pictures i took of it - http://imgur.com/a/Ngs0N#0

Or please go to this forum message on the Dell forums and on the bottom there is a diagram of my motherboard. I think i have 530 or 530a judging by the position of the battery socket.
Forum Link

I was thinking
Antec One case. - My concern is that will the 6870 fit (Sapphire 6870)? And my motherboard is compatible right?
Antec High Current Gamer 520W power supply. Will this be ok with my motherboard?

I think the front power/reset button is combined by Dell, but others say it can work.

Thank you for all the help.

More about : case power supply

a b ) Power supply
August 15, 2012 1:56:37 AM

That case and PSU will be fine for your upgrade plans.

<<<Deleted due to my failure to notice a SFF style case in the OP's pix....COLGeek>>>

Dell has also done away with proprietary connectors for the most part as well. Looks like your current motherboard uses a standard front panel connector and USB headers. So, moving the guts to a new box shouldn't be too big a deal.
a c 166 ) Power supply
August 15, 2012 2:53:55 AM

Am I mistaken, or does that look like a slim line case? I think the 530s is slim line, no? If so, the full size HD 6870 won't fit and finding a PSU of sufficient size will be next to impossible.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 15, 2012 3:24:35 AM

clutchc said:
Am I mistaken, or does that look like a slim line case? I think the 530s is slim line, no? If so, the full size HD 6870 won't fit and finding a PSU of sufficient size will be next to impossible.

You, sir, are correct! I failed to notice that. Definitely time for a new case and PSU and the OP's items will be just fine.
August 15, 2012 5:39:51 AM

Fantastic. Thank you gentlemen.
August 15, 2012 6:02:26 AM

Upgrade the CPU can not just look at the package pin count, depends on other parameters are compatible.
!