Help with new case and power supply

Ok i have a Dell 530s, my plan is to upgrade it.

I am getting a 6870 off a friend and wanted a setup to go along with it. I am aware it will be bottlenecked, but i'm getting a good deal, so i rather get this.
Plus, by the end of the year cpu mobo will be upgraded as well, so that issue will be taken care of :).

But can you help me with the power supply and case selection.

Dell Inspiron 530s Desktop
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor E6550 (2.33GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
4GB (4X1GB) NECC Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz SDRAM Memory Pre-Loaded Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Premium OEM Version (32-bit)
500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
256MB PCIe(TM) x16 ATI Radeon(TM) HD 2400 XT w/TV-Out, VGA and DVI
Integrated Sound Blaster(R) Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio Software
PSU - 250W

I have a dell 0RY007 motherboard.
Here are some pictures i took of it - http://imgur.com/a/Ngs0N#0

Or please go to this forum message on the Dell forums and on the bottom there is a diagram of my motherboard. I think i have 530 or 530a judging by the position of the battery socket.
Forum Link

I was thinking
Antec One case. - My concern is that will the 6870 fit (Sapphire 6870)? And my motherboard is compatible right?
Antec High Current Gamer 520W power supply. Will this be ok with my motherboard?

I think the front power/reset button is combined by Dell, but others say it can work.

Thank you for all the help.
5 answers Last reply
More about help case power supply
  1. That case and PSU will be fine for your upgrade plans.

<<<Deleted due to my failure to notice a SFF style case in the OP's pix....COLGeek>>>

Dell has also done away with proprietary connectors for the most part as well. Looks like your current motherboard uses a standard front panel connector and USB headers. So, moving the guts to a new box shouldn't be too big a deal.
  2. Am I mistaken, or does that look like a slim line case? I think the 530s is slim line, no? If so, the full size HD 6870 won't fit and finding a PSU of sufficient size will be next to impossible.
  3. clutchc said:
    Am I mistaken, or does that look like a slim line case? I think the 530s is slim line, no? If so, the full size HD 6870 won't fit and finding a PSU of sufficient size will be next to impossible.

You, sir, are correct! I failed to notice that. Definitely time for a new case and PSU and the OP's items will be just fine.
  4. Fantastic. Thank you gentlemen.
  5. Upgrade the CPU can not just look at the package pin count, depends on other parameters are compatible.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components