register activex

December 1, 2004 2:09:05 PM

Why do I have the option " register Activex " when right clicking on a *.ax
( codec) file and my friend doesn't have this option when he right click on
the same file on his computer.

Same thing for *.DLL files I have the option "register library " and he
't have this option. why is that?

More about : register activex

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 3:56:02 PM

Sirius wrote:
> Why do I have the option " register Activex " when right clicking on
> a *.ax ( codec) file and my friend doesn't have this option when he
> right click on the same file on his computer.
>
> Same thing for *.DLL files I have the option "register library "
> and he 't have this option. why is that?

These options would only be available if they were installed with a third
party application.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Sirius" <Sirius@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| Why do I have the option " register Activex " when right clicking on a *.ax
| ( codec) file and my friend doesn't have this option when he right click on
| the same file on his computer.
|
| Same thing for *.DLL files I have the option "register library " and he
| 't have this option. why is that?

Would your friend like that as well?
(Simple .REG file)
Related resources
December 4, 2004 10:04:42 AM

"yeah sure, what is the trick?
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 2:16:49 PM

"Sirius" <Sirius@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

| "yeah sure, what is the trick?

1. Copy and paste the following lines to Notepad.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dll]
@="dllfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\Register\command]
@="regsvr32.exe %1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\UnRegister\command]
@="regsvr32.exe /u %1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ocx]
@="ocxfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\Shell\Register\command]
@="regsvr32.exe %1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\Shell\UnRegister\command]
@="regsvr32.exe /u %1"

2. File > Save As > "DLL-OCX_Register.REG"
including the quote marks.

3. Right-click DLL-OCX_Register.REG > Merge > Yes > OK

4. Now when you right-click any .DLL or .OCX, you should
also have the options to register and unregister that file

- - -
To remove the above optons:

1. Copy and paste the following lines to Notepad.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\Register]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\UnRegister]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\Shell\Register]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\Shell\UnRegister]

2. File > Save As > "DLL-OCX_Register_Undo.REG"
including the quote marks.

3. Right-click DLL-OCX_Register_Undo.REG > Merge > Yes > OK
!