register activex

Why do I have the option " register Activex " when right clicking on a *.ax
( codec) file and my friend doesn't have this option when he right click on
the same file on his computer.

Same thing for *.DLL files I have the option "register library " and he
't have this option. why is that?
4 answers Last reply
More about register activex

    Sirius wrote:
    > Why do I have the option " register Activex " when right clicking on
    > a *.ax ( codec) file and my friend doesn't have this option when he
    > right click on the same file on his computer.
    >
    > Same thing for *.DLL files I have the option "register library "
    > and he 't have this option. why is that?

    These options would only be available if they were installed with a third
    party application.

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    "Sirius" <Sirius@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    | Why do I have the option " register Activex " when right clicking on a *.ax
    | ( codec) file and my friend doesn't have this option when he right click on
    | the same file on his computer.
    |
    | Same thing for *.DLL files I have the option "register library " and he
    | 't have this option. why is that?

    Would your friend like that as well?
    (Simple .REG file)

    "yeah sure, what is the trick?

    "Sirius" <Sirius@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    | "yeah sure, what is the trick?

    1. Copy and paste the following lines to Notepad.

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dll]
    @="dllfile"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\Register\command]
    @="regsvr32.exe %1"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\UnRegister\command]
    @="regsvr32.exe /u %1"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ocx]
    @="ocxfile"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\Shell\Register\command]
    @="regsvr32.exe %1"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\Shell\UnRegister\command]
    @="regsvr32.exe /u %1"

    2. File > Save As > "DLL-OCX_Register.REG"
    including the quote marks.

    3. Right-click DLL-OCX_Register.REG > Merge > Yes > OK

    4. Now when you right-click any .DLL or .OCX, you should
    also have the options to register and unregister that file

    - - -
    To remove the above optons:

    1. Copy and paste the following lines to Notepad.

    REGEDIT4

    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\Register]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\UnRegister]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\Shell\Register]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\Shell\UnRegister]

    2. File > Save As > "DLL-OCX_Register_Undo.REG"
    including the quote marks.

    3. Right-click DLL-OCX_Register_Undo.REG > Merge > Yes > OK

Configuration Activex Customization Microsoft Windows XP