Canon Lens help please

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 28, 2005 6:13:17 PM

Like many other I hope to soon upgrade to DSLR. I have the Coolpix 7900 and
enjoy all of the features plus the megapixels.
I also have a Canon EOS 35mm SLR with 28-105 EF USM lens.

This is what it pushing me to look at the Rebel XT camera.
Given that I have the above lens already, would it be a waste of money
getting the kit with 18-55 lens? Looking at BH website,
there is not such a great saving buying the kit as opposed to body + lens.

Also, I plan to make the purchase in the USA (I am in South Africa) in
November.
Do most of the manufacturers come out with new models just before Christmas
and could
it be that by then there is a better offering than the XT?

Thanks

Joel

More about : canon lens

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:13:18 PM

I have the Digital Rebel (300D) which came with the 18-55 lens. I
rarely use it, preferring the 28-135 IS.

You might consider getting the body with a 50mm lens--I use the 1.8
model II, which is available for about $75. This gives you a decent,
compact low-light option.

Paul B.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:13:18 PM

"Joel Dorfan" <bdorfan@fred.icon.co.za> wrote in message
news:D 9rets$am1$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...

> Like many other I hope to soon upgrade to DSLR. I have the Coolpix 7900
> and
> enjoy all of the features plus the megapixels.
> I also have a Canon EOS 35mm SLR with 28-105 EF USM lens.
>
> This is what it pushing me to look at the Rebel XT camera.
> Given that I have the above lens already, would it be a waste of money
> getting the kit with 18-55 lens? Looking at BH website,
> there is not such a great saving buying the kit as opposed to body + lens.

I would not get the kit lens in addition to the lens you already have. The
kit lens is a "starter" lens and I doubt that you would use it very much.

> Also, I plan to make the purchase in the USA (I am in South Africa) in
> November.
> Do most of the manufacturers come out with new models just before
> Christmas
> and could
> it be that by then there is a better offering than the XT?

Don't think so ... the XT has not been out very long.
June 28, 2005 6:13:18 PM

>Joel writes ...
>
>Given that I have the above lens (28-105) already, would it be
>a waste of money getting the kit with 18-55 lens?

Yes, unless you *really* wanted/needed a wider angle lens. The 28-105
will work fine on the Rebel XT.

>Also, I plan to make the purchase in the USA (I am in South Africa) in
>November. Do most of the manufacturers come out with new models
>just before Christmas

Most all new dSLRs are announced at the two large trade shows, either
in September at Photokina (Europe) or February at PMA (USA). Note that
announcing at Sept often means they have to push to get enough product
on dealers' shelves for Christmas.

Most of the Canon models are on roughly an 18 month upgrade schedule,
sometimes 12 months, sometimes 24 months depending on competion, etc,
but figure roughly 18 months. So if a model has been out a year or
more and the price starts to drop a bit it's often a sign a new model
will be announced at or shortly before the next trade show.

Bill
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:13:18 PM

"Joel Dorfan" <bdorfan@fred.icon.co.za> writes:

> Like many other I hope to soon upgrade to DSLR. I have the Coolpix 7900 and
> enjoy all of the features plus the megapixels.
> I also have a Canon EOS 35mm SLR with 28-105 EF USM lens.
>
> This is what it pushing me to look at the Rebel XT camera. Given
> that I have the above lens already, would it be a waste of money
> getting the kit with 18-55 lens? Looking at BH website, there is not
> such a great saving buying the kit as opposed to body + lens.

Well, it's all a matter of personal preference / what kind of photos
you take. But remember that the 28mm long end of your zoom will give
you the angle of view of a 44.8mm lens; for me, this would *not* be
satisfactory as the widest lens in the arsenal. (I'm currently
dissatisfied with my 17mm (25.5mm effective, Nikon 1.5x crop factor)
as the widest lens in my arsenal.)

I'm not knowledgable about Canon lenses, so I can't comment on the
quality of the 18-55 kit lens. Possibly even if you want a wider
lens, you don't want *that* lens.
June 28, 2005 6:13:18 PM

Joel Dorfan wrote:
> I also have a Canon EOS 35mm SLR with 28-105 EF USM lens.
> This is what it pushing me to look at the Rebel XT camera.
> Given that I have the above lens already, would it be a waste of money
> getting the kit with 18-55 lens?

If you need a wider lens, you can also consider 10-20mm Canon, as well
as similar lengths from Tokina, Sigma, Tamron, etc. Much more
expensive than the kit lens ($500-600 for these vs. $100 for kit lens),
but also much wider and providing not too great of a gap of focal
length range from your 28-135. I don't find 28mm equivalent to be wide
enough for my tastes or needs, so 18mm is not good enough for me.

--Wilt
June 28, 2005 6:13:18 PM

Joel Dorfan wrote:
> Like many other I hope to soon upgrade to DSLR. I have the Coolpix 7900 and
> enjoy all of the features plus the megapixels.
> I also have a Canon EOS 35mm SLR with 28-105 EF USM lens.
>
> This is what it pushing me to look at the Rebel XT camera.
> Given that I have the above lens already, would it be a waste of money
> getting the kit with 18-55 lens? Looking at BH website,
> there is not such a great saving buying the kit as opposed to body + lens.

Seems repetitive.

For consumer lenses I'd consider the Canon EF 20-35mm F/3.5-4.5 zoom
(~$360) or the 20mm F/2.8 prime ($370) as better wide angle lenses
complement to your present lens, giving you the equivalent of ~32-50mm.
They're much sharper lenses than the 18-55 - which, by all accounts, is
not anywhere near as nice as either of Canon's 28-105mm lenses.

BTW, which 28-105 do you have? the F/3.5-4.5 II (ok - fairly nice) or
the F/4.0-5.6 (not so nice)? If the latter, you could also consider an
upgrade to the really nice image stabilized 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM
($410) as a first lens purchase, and sell off the cheap lens with your
film camera.

A good but cheap lens from Canon is the EF-S 50mm F/1.8 II - great
edge-to-edge sharpness and a nice aperture for under $70; that ~85mm
equivalent is a great portrait and product shoot length.

If cost is an overwhelming issue, put the $50 that you'd spend on the
18-55 in a piggybank for now and don't get anything. Use your present
lens until you can afford one of the better ones - and until you know
whether you really need more wide angle (or tele....).

> Also, I plan to make the purchase in the USA (I am in South Africa) in
> November.
> Do most of the manufacturers come out with new models just before Christmas
> and could
> it be that by then there is a better offering than the XT?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joel

AFAIR the 350XT appeared in the stores this April, so... it might be
starting to go on sale around next Christmas. The 300D lasted 18 months
before it was replaced, and it held it's price pretty well... even now
it's only ~$100 less than the XT.

ECM
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:58:29 PM

Joel Dorfan wrote:
> Like many other I hope to soon upgrade to DSLR. I have the Coolpix
> 7900 and enjoy all of the features plus the megapixels.
> I also have a Canon EOS 35mm SLR with 28-105 EF USM lens.
>
> This is what it pushing me to look at the Rebel XT camera.
> Given that I have the above lens already, would it be a waste of money
> getting the kit with 18-55 lens? Looking at BH website,
> there is not such a great saving buying the kit as opposed to body +
> lens.
> Also, I plan to make the purchase in the USA (I am in South Africa) in
> November.
> Do most of the manufacturers come out with new models just before
> Christmas and could
> it be that by then there is a better offering than the XT?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joel

It depends. I would (and did) get the 18-55 kit lens. It is a very
nice general purpose lens. Your existing lens will not give you any wide
angle capability while the kit lens will give you something close to your
existing lens did on the film body.

If you used your lens often at 28mm. I would suggest you really do want
the kit lens, as part of the kit it is very inexpensive.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:34:30 AM

Thanks all.

I guess I could also look at the 17-85 IS lens which would gibe the same
wide angle ability and better zoom.

There is a Rebel XT kit with this lens for $1400-00.

Sound Reasonable?

Joel

"wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote in message

> Joel Dorfan wrote:
> > I also have a Canon EOS 35mm SLR with 28-105 EF USM lens.
> > This is what it pushing me to look at the Rebel XT camera.
> > Given that I have the above lens already, would it be a waste of money
> > getting the kit with 18-55 lens?
>
> If you need a wider lens, you can also consider 10-20mm Canon, as well
> as similar lengths from Tokina, Sigma, Tamron, etc. Much more
> expensive than the kit lens ($500-600 for these vs. $100 for kit lens),
> but also much wider and providing not too great of a gap of focal
> length range from your 28-135. I don't find 28mm equivalent to be wide
> enough for my tastes or needs, so 18mm is not good enough for me.
>
> --Wilt

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:34:31 AM

"Joel Dorfan" <bdorfan@MAPSicon.co.za> wrote in message
news:D 9s586$9a3$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> Thanks all.
>
> I guess I could also look at the 17-85 IS lens which would gibe the same
> wide angle ability and better zoom.

I have that lens and like it a lot.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:49:08 AM

Thanks again all.

ECM it's the older 28-105 unfortunately.
Yes I figure I will leave it with the 35mm EOS and sell it as a kit. I will
probably consider the 17-85 IS lens as a kit with the camera for about
$1400-00.

Joel

"ecm" <thedeepabyss@whoever.com> wrote in message

> Joel Dorfan wrote:
> > Like many other I hope to soon upgrade to DSLR. I have the Coolpix 7900
and
> > enjoy all of the features plus the megapixels.
> > I also have a Canon EOS 35mm SLR with 28-105 EF USM lens.
> >
> > This is what it pushing me to look at the Rebel XT camera.
> > Given that I have the above lens already, would it be a waste of money
> > getting the kit with 18-55 lens? Looking at BH website,
> > there is not such a great saving buying the kit as opposed to body +
lens.

> Seems repetitive.
>
> For consumer lenses I'd consider the Canon EF 20-35mm F/3.5-4.5 zoom
> (~$360) or the 20mm F/2.8 prime ($370) as better wide angle lenses
> complement to your present lens, giving you the equivalent of ~32-50mm.
> They're much sharper lenses than the 18-55 - which, by all accounts, is
> not anywhere near as nice as either of Canon's 28-105mm lenses.
>
> BTW, which 28-105 do you have? the F/3.5-4.5 II (ok - fairly nice) or
> the F/4.0-5.6 (not so nice)? If the latter, you could also consider an
> upgrade to the really nice image stabilized 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM
> ($410) as a first lens purchase, and sell off the cheap lens with your
> film camera.
>
> A good but cheap lens from Canon is the EF-S 50mm F/1.8 II - great
> edge-to-edge sharpness and a nice aperture for under $70; that ~85mm
> equivalent is a great portrait and product shoot length.
>
> If cost is an overwhelming issue, put the $50 that you'd spend on the
> 18-55 in a piggybank for now and don't get anything. Use your present
> lens until you can afford one of the better ones - and until you know
> whether you really need more wide angle (or tele....).
>

> > Also, I plan to make the purchase in the USA (I am in South Africa) in
> > November.
> > Do most of the manufacturers come out with new models just before
Christmas
> > and could
> > it be that by then there is a better offering than the XT?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Joel
>
> AFAIR the 350XT appeared in the stores this April, so... it might be
> starting to go on sale around next Christmas. The 300D lasted 18 months
> before it was replaced, and it held it's price pretty well... even now
> it's only ~$100 less than the XT.
>
> ECM

June 30, 2005 3:26:59 AM

Joel Dorfan wrote:
> Thanks again all.
>
> ECM it's the older 28-105 unfortunately.
> Yes I figure I will leave it with the 35mm EOS and sell it as a kit. I will
> probably consider the 17-85 IS lens as a kit with the camera for about
> $1400-00.
>
> Joel
>
> "ecm" <thedeepabyss@whoever.com> wrote in message
SNIP

Yeah, I didn't mention the 17-85mm EF-S IS because it's quite a bit
more expensive. Again, I've never handled it so I can't say much about
it; the reviews say it's a reasonably good lens, though. I think you'll
be glad you spent the extra money.

The only little niggle I have is that the EF-S series is completely
digital-dedicated - they can only be used on 1.6X crop factor cameras,
not on full-frame digitals or film SLRs. It's a lot of money to spend
on a lens you may not be able to interchange with other systems. That's
probably OK, I kind of doubt full-frame is going to be the standard of
the future, but who knows? It's only been ~5-6 years since digital
cameras started to appear in large numbers, it's not a mature market
yet.

Anyways, good luck!
ECM
!