Hello everyone, I'm new here but I've read a lot of threads and this community seems really helpful. It's been about 5 years since I've builtand hardware has changed significantly and I haven't followed it at all. I'm looking to build a rig for Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2, but I really wanna build something that will last a while that I won't have to mess with (except video cards). So far, I'm at $509.96 for a case, 8-core AMD processor, 16GB DDR3 RAM and a 1000W PSU (I probably don't need but it's a good deal). I plan to buy on May 11th and I wanna be somewhere in the 900-1200 price range. I have a Windows disc and all the little stuff, I really just need to add a motherboard and video card(s).
Video Card(s): I am really looking to spend around $300 for video cards, at first I was thinking of doing 3 x Radeon 7770 HDs; but read a lot of down sides associated with that configuration and am now looking at crossfire and SLI but feeling kinda lost. My personal preference is to have SLI or Crossfired bargain cards for the simple fact that I kick myself in the ass every time I buy a single card and can't simply buy a second one to upgrade.
Motherboard: Needs to have an AM3+ socket obviously, but PCI slots are dependent on video cards. I am not really one to skimp on mobos, if nothing else I'll wait for a good open box mobo from newegg.
PSU: There's a great deal on a 1000W right now, but if it ends before I buy; how many watts do I need for your recommendation?
D3 and GW2 run well on a 3 year old system, a $400 budget crapper would handle them both.
- AM3+ is pretty much at its end with FX, not future proof and not worth the cash. A Pentium G840 can nearly beat everything in gaming FPS terms AMD has out.
-Both of those games wont gain any benefit from anything above a Quad Core.
-16 gigs of ram is overkill, actually 8 gigs is still overkill
- Starting a System with SLI is just plain a waste of cash. Why when a single $300 card will give you far less issues A.K.A Studder and last you close to 4 years.
-1000W PS is overkill but if the deal is good Id grab it myself.
I did both Betas for D3 and GW2 mostly on a Phenom X4 965 with a 6870, both at max settings and perfectly fluid. Frankly a SB based system and any of the newer cards will last you 3-4 years easy.
- Was just looking at switching to intel
- I know, 8-core just didn't cost much more
- I know, but for $80 may as well. I could buy 8 for $50 and end up probably buying more someday.
- The card I have now is an 8800GT and I may just keep that around with my new build until it won't work anymore, but they're more expensive now than when I bought it because they are out of production - which is why I hate switching to SLI later. Rather buy 2 cards now and sell them as a set and buy 2 new cards later.
I have played both betas and run them well but my current mobo has a max of 4 gigs of ram and my CPU is going shot... but I'm going back to the drawing board with this build.