Sign in with
Your question

Which graphics card should I go for?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2012 2:31:02 PM

Hello, Im putting a build together and I wanted to ask what graphics card should I pick?

I really like the KFA2 GeForce GTX 570 MDT X4 [ http://www.dabs.com/products/kfa2-geforce-gtx-570-800mh... ]

Before I found this card I was just looking at the GTX 560 or ATI 6870...

Here I have filled in the form:

Approximate purchase date: In 1-2 months

Budget: £800-900 (excluding the monitor)

Usage: I want to use the computer for gaming (COD, Metro 2033, BF3/Bad company 2, F1,Assassins Creed.... Some MMO's and just all good games)
Next year Im going to college to do A levels in Computing and ICT at the same time, so i will also be doing programming (game programming mostly) also I would use the computer for video editing like AfterEffects.

The parts I have picked so far:

CPU: i5 2500k
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/processor...

MOBO: MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3) Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) Motherboard
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/motherboa...

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/memory-pc...

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Modular Power Supply
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupp...

CASE: Coolermaster HAF X Case - Black
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cas...

or

Corsair 600T Limited Edition White Case - No PSU
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cas...

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s <8.9ms 7200rpm - OEM
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/harddrive...

And i dont think optical drive is too important :) 

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: For the website I just want a good trustable website in UK that has decent prices. So far I found wwwnovatech.co.uk and www.aria.co.uk I got a friend that has ordered stuff from novatech before and had no problem what so ever, but for aria i dont have any proof.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference really, first I was looking at AMD but as i want to start video editing I read that Intel and Nvidia are a better pick :) 

OVERCLOCKING: I dont have any experience with overclocking but Im sure once I will have enough confidence to try it out. So yes for overclocking and yes for the option of having SLI or crossfire.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080/1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: If I can fit a decent cooler in with my budget then I will be more then happy :D  But its not too important as I wount be overclocking straight away.

All those parts added to chart at novatech.co.uk come to £631.88

So I got £270 for a GPU.

Thanks in advance.

and please get back to me.

Dave

More about : graphics card

a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 2:46:58 PM

a single gtx 570 can maxed out every current game especailly with 2500k.
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 2:48:18 PM

If your not buying for another 2 months I suggest you wait and see how the new lineup from Nvidia does to the current card prices as well as the rest of AMD's lineup.You might want one of the newer cards or you might find a really good deal on a GTX580 or something.
February 24, 2012 2:51:08 PM

ricardois said:
Best solution is one of of those 570 :
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiagef...

like you have a Mobo 2x 16x pci-e and also a certified PSU, you can buy a 560ti now like this one :
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiagef...
and wait for some money and buy another later the performance will be much higher than the 570 itself.

Is that 570 from msi better then the kfa2? I mean if i can get a bit better cooling and performace for that extra £10-15 then i dont mind payin that bit extra :) 

and yeah I was thinkin about that too but i wount be capable of saving up money as I got loads of stuff to be saving up for.
February 24, 2012 2:53:35 PM

purple stank said:
If your not buying for another 2 months I suggest you wait and see how the new lineup from Nvidia does to the current card prices as well as the rest of AMD's lineup.You might want one of the newer cards or you might find a really good deal on a GTX580 or something.

And do you think the prices will drop? Because last time when the new line up from ATI (6000) the 5000 series prices didnt really drop...

But it would be nice to find a good deal as you said :) 
February 24, 2012 2:54:35 PM

xtreme5 said:
a single gtx 570 can maxed out every current game especailly with 2500k.

But do you think its worth the money?
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 2:56:12 PM

how many monitors do you need to run ?
February 24, 2012 2:57:38 PM

swifty_morgan said:
how many monitors do you need to run ?

One for now, maybe next year i will go crazy and set up 3 screens :) 
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 2:59:12 PM

dave0305 said:
Is that 570 from msi better then the kfa2? I mean if i can get a bit better cooling and performace for that extra £10-15 then i dont mind payin that bit extra :) 

and yeah I was thinkin about that too but i wount be capable of saving up money as I got loads of stuff to be saving up for.

yes msi cooling is really awesome, silence + cool graphics card there it is, it really worth paying the extra 10-15 for the awesome Twin Frozr III/Twin Frozr II coolers.
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 3:01:16 PM

dave0305 said:
And do you think the prices will drop? Because last time when the new line up from ATI (6000) the 5000 series prices didnt really drop...

But it would be nice to find a good deal as you said :) 

well by what i know graphics card prices don't drop, they release new ones better and cheaper but the old ones "when drop" is not much, they just stop selling them.
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 3:06:07 PM

that is true ricardois but you might get new technology with more horsepower and cheaper.
I hope that Kepler delivers and AMD will be forced to reduce 7950/70 prices. I would by 7950 ober 570/80 anytime :)  but 670 looks very promising
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 3:11:06 PM

you want to look at a card with at least 2gigs of vram. Normally I would suggest a 6950 or 6970 with aspirations of cross firing in the future. However, those cards are at the end of their life and already supplies are dwindling. I think at least a one 7950........... pretty soon the new 7800 series will be here.... less than a month I think. A 7850/70 with thoughts of cross firing in the future would probably be the best bet.

the mdt you listed above will run multiple monitors but not very well at your resolution with a multi monitor set up. Better suited for a work environment. The other 570's are useless.
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 3:14:36 PM

dave0305 said:
But do you think its worth the money?

of course it's worth to spend more money gtx 570, in my opinion that is incredible for your setup.
February 24, 2012 4:36:06 PM

wow thanks for all the replys guys :)  so by the looks of it, if by the time i will be buying those parts the new cards release and there will be one with decent price and stronger performance than the 570 then i will go for that, but if not then i will probably stick to the 570 either msi or the kfa2 (but probably the msi one as it has more reviews and seems spot on with its temperatures and performance) :D 

once again, thanks alot for takin your time O:) 
February 24, 2012 4:51:08 PM

swifty_morgan said:
you want to look at a card with at least 2gigs of vram. Normally I would suggest a 6950 or 6970 with aspirations of cross firing in the future. However, those cards are at the end of their life and already supplies are dwindling. I think at least a one 7950........... pretty soon the new 7800 series will be here.... less than a month I think. A 7850/70 with thoughts of cross firing in the future would probably be the best bet.

the mdt you listed above will run multiple monitors but not very well at your resolution with a multi monitor set up. Better suited for a work environment. The other 570's are useless.

What about this one MSI AMD Radeon HD 6970 Lightning 2048MB GDDR5 [ http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/atiradeon...]

Or is there a better GPU for better price?
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 5:29:21 PM

remember, the MDT will run more than one monitor. the others ( 570's ) will not. see my post above. that's why I suggested the alternatives. food for thought.
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 5:32:21 PM

the Lightning........... yes, I'd select that over the 570. As much as I don't like MSI products, I do have an old nvidia Lightning and it still works........... unlike their older architecture.
February 24, 2012 7:02:23 PM

Right ok, but lets say if i get the 6970 and in a years time i put another one in crossfire i will be capable or running multiple monitors and games coming out at max resolution?
February 24, 2012 7:05:17 PM

purple stank said:
The 6970 and GTX570 are comparable.At that point it really depends on personal preference.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_6970_Lightnin...

Personally I would go with the 6970 because of the dual BIOS and the extra VRAM.

More simple view...

http://www.hwcompare.com/9020/geforce-gtx-570-vs-radeon...

Okay, so it worth it getting the 6970 because it has 2gb? Do you think it will come handy in future games? I heard people say get more vram...
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 7:14:48 PM

Nvidia cards can do up to a maximum of 2 monitors with a single card.AMD cards can do 3 monitors or more(with special connectors)with a single card.That KFA2 GTX570 is similair to what Galaxy use's with it's GTX570(basically the same thing).That GTX570 is special because it doesn't follow standard Nvidia guidelines.Those companies have created their own code where you can use a single GTX570 and display more than 2 monitors.

All that aside I do think think the 2GB of VRAM is the way to go.Even if you don't need it now, it's always better to have something and not need and need it and not have it.But note that if you do plan on going with a 3 monitor setup you will need a multi card setup to be able to get playable frames at such a high resolution with newer games.But if you intend to use it for older games a single 6970 should do fine.I've played a couple old games in eyefinity with my 6870 and it worked fine.
February 24, 2012 7:28:54 PM

purple stank said:
Nvidia cards can do up to a maximum of 2 monitors with a single card.AMD cards can do 3 monitors or more(with special connectors)with a single card.That KFA2 GTX570 is similair to what Galaxy use's with it's GTX570(basically the same thing).That GTX570 is special because it doesn't follow standard Nvidia guidelines.Those companies have created their own code where you can use a single GTX570 and display more than 2 monitors.

All that aside I do think think the 2GB of VRAM is the way to go.Even if you don't need it now, it's always better to have something and not need and need it and not have it.But note that if you do plan on going with a 3 monitor setup you will need a multi card setup to be able to get playable frames at such a high resolution with newer games.But if you intend to use it for older games a single 6970 should do fine.I've played a couple old games in eyefinity with my 6870 and it worked fine.

Good point :) 

I mean i dont really plan on having 3 screens but its nice to have that option.

And i see you got the 6870... Are you happy with it? I suggested my friend to get it... but his budget is a bit smaller... (6870 was the first card i wanted until a thought it would be better to get nvidia.
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 8:12:45 PM

I am.Almost every game I can play on high settings and maintain 60fps.I was a bit disapointed though to find out that BF3 needs more than 1GB of VRAM for Ultra textures.I bought mine about 3 months after the launch date so I payed $240 for a reference design.Now they are selling for as low as $150.Almost $100 cheaper.

But yah even if you aren't going to use a multi monitor setup the extra VRAM helps espically in future games.The 2GB of VRAM is starting to become the standard now.The 7970 and 7950 have 3GB while the 7870 has 2GB and i'm sure they will make 2GB models for the 7770 and 7850.
February 24, 2012 10:14:37 PM

purple stank said:
I am.Almost every game I can play on high settings and maintain 60fps.I was a bit disapointed though to find out that BF3 needs more than 1GB of VRAM for Ultra textures.I bought mine about 3 months after the launch date so I payed $240 for a reference design.Now they are selling for as low as $150.Almost $100 cheaper.

But yah even if you aren't going to use a multi monitor setup the extra VRAM helps espically in future games.The 2GB of VRAM is starting to become the standard now.The 7970 and 7950 have 3GB while the 7870 has 2GB and i'm sure they will make 2GB models for the 7770 and 7850.

Thats great, now I have finally decided that the best thing to do is wait for the new line up to come out and just spend more money to get the 7850 or higher if possible (which i doubt).

Thanks alot man :) 

a c 214 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 10:27:10 PM

Well if your waiting for the new cards you might as well wait for Ivy Bridge too.
February 24, 2012 11:04:45 PM

purple stank said:
Well if your waiting for the new cards you might as well wait for Ivy Bridge too.

Ivy Bridge? Havnt heard of that yet, i will look into that. Tar
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 11:51:03 PM

Ivy Bridge is the next step from Sandy Bridge.
February 25, 2012 12:48:22 AM

A gtx 460 1gb sli is better and bit less expensive than a gtx 570, their performance is similar to a gtx 580. Good luck!
February 25, 2012 5:35:04 AM

dave0305 said:
Right ok, but lets say if i get the 6970 and in a years time i put another one in crossfire i will be capable or running multiple monitors and games coming out at max resolution?

With multiple monitors, once you crossfire the 6970, it should run it at high settings, but probably not ultra.
February 27, 2012 7:27:39 PM

Sorry for not checking this post lately I was busy preparing for my maths test :p ... well guys thanks for all the answers... it seems like i just got to wait and see how stuch changes in 2-3 months.

davemaster84 - your point is good, but i was lookin at the 460 a long time ago... there are newer GPUs out now... if i get 570 it might not be as strong as 2 460s but i will have the option of adding one more 570 on which should give me more performance than the 2x460s...

Correct me if im wrong.

But thanks for the idea. I like the 460. Best bang for buck!!
February 27, 2012 7:30:39 PM

*use to be best bang for buck...
February 27, 2012 7:40:31 PM

You are always welcome!

P.S In my personal case I'll wait until nvidia releases the new 600 series , maybe there's a nig difference compared to the 400 or 500 series who knows :p 
February 28, 2012 6:51:03 PM

davemaster84 said:
You are always welcome!

P.S In my personal case I'll wait until nvidia releases the new 600 series , maybe there's a nig difference compared to the 400 or 500 series who knows :p 

Is it the kepler series? Well dipens when i get my money and if im gona be bothered to wait till it comes out... but yeah i think it would pay of to wait :) 
!