Sign in with
Your question

I'm looking for a case with lots of fans

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2012 8:53:13 AM

Hello, I'm looking for a new case for a new system I'm about to build. I want it to be a very cool (temperature-wise) case with lots of fans. I don't want to spend more than £50 on it though.

I was looking at the Zelman Z9, but I'd like to shop around before deciding on that. I am not saying that I'm specifically looking for a case with a fan controller, I'd rather not have one to be honest in order to keep the price down.

More about : case lots fans

May 1, 2012 9:17:59 AM

Sorry but I'm not allowed to edit my posts.

I really like the zalman z9 plus case but the led lights put me off it. I know they can't be disabled but presumably if I find the lights and break them that won't ruin the fan will it?
Related resources
May 1, 2012 10:10:53 AM

CoolerMaster has some pretty cool cases that are actually priced well. I will try to look for something but you should have a look yourself too.
May 1, 2012 10:18:24 AM

COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That has tons of fan spots:
-Top: 120 mm fan x 2 (optional)
-Front: 120 mm blue LED fan x 1, 140 mm fan x 1 (optional)
-Rear: 80/90/120 mm fan x 1 (optional)
-Side: 120mm fan x 1 (optional)
-Bottom: 80/90/120 mm fan x 1 (optional)

And it also has a side window. :p 

CM Storm Enforcer (my favorite case)

1 x 120 mm Rear Black Fan, 1200 RPM
1 x 200mm Top Red LED Fan, 1000 RPM
1 x 200mm Front Red LED Fan

Big top and front fans.
May 1, 2012 3:37:55 PM

plekter said:
COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

That has tons of fan spots:
-Top: 120 mm fan x 2 (optional)
-Front: 120 mm blue LED fan x 1, 140 mm fan x 1 (optional)
-Rear: 80/90/120 mm fan x 1 (optional)
-Side: 120mm fan x 1 (optional)
-Bottom: 80/90/120 mm fan x 1 (optional)

And it also has a side window. :p 

CM Storm Enforcer (my favorite case)

1 x 120 mm Rear Black Fan, 1200 RPM
1 x 200mm Top Red LED Fan, 1000 RPM
1 x 200mm Front Red LED Fan

Big top and front fans.

Thanks for helping me out, I have been scowering the net though. I've decided against any case with led fans and so the zalman z9 is out, plus the more fans that are included the better.

The COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 is a good case, but all those optional fans will cost too much. I want to literally fill it. The storm enforcer doesn't have enough fans for my taste.

I think I may have found my perfect case, unless I come across something better, I think I'll end up getting the Antec Three Hundred Two. I do have to buy four more fans which brings the total to £79 ($47). After the amount of looking I've done, I'd be surprised if I can find something better for that price.

Do you know of any cases that come with all the fan slots filled? I've haven't settled on the Antec Three Hundred Two yet, I'm still looking.
May 1, 2012 4:01:41 PM

The Corsair 400R is great. at $89. it has two top fans, two back, two side and two front. it also looks cool and simple, not some star trek looking thing. i love it. handle on the top allows you to pick it up with one hand.

May 1, 2012 7:29:28 PM

So you want a case for around $50, with alot of fans included?

Or just that you can add fans to later? This might be your better option!

If you don't like LED fans, buy fans without LEDs to replace them!

Just reread your thread, and yes the Antec Three Hundred Two is a good choice!

moon261, that case is $160.00, and does not included all the fans. Read the OP!
May 1, 2012 7:43:04 PM

I recently bought the Z9plus and love it. Great airflow, runs cool and quiet. Buy the Z9 (not plus) version, it is cheaper and doesnt have the fan controller, and only has 1 blue fan. You could add your own couple of other fans, to suit yourself. The Z9 has a $10 rebate at Newegg right now and is only $50 before it. That is a very good value for the money. The case is well made with lots of room behind the mb tray to route wires and all.
May 1, 2012 7:53:26 PM

childofthetao said:
Sorry but I'm not allowed to edit my posts.

I really like the zalman z9 plus case but the led lights put me off it. I know they can't be disabled but presumably if I find the lights and break them that won't ruin the fan will it?

I'd recommend the Coolermaster HAF922 if you want Fans without leds. I just built one for a friend using this case, all of the built in fans have mechanical switches to turn off the fan LEDs (they stay off when you turn them off, until you turn them on); the downside is that the switches are inside the case (except for one that is hooked to the front panel).
Overall I loved this case, it had good space behind the mobo for routing cables, bottom mount PSU, and at least 1 extra fan slot that wasn't populated (may have been some I didn't notice).

It may fall a little out of your budget (not sure about conversion rate these days), I think there is a lower model, like HAF 912, but not sure if it would be the same level of awesomeness.

Edit: It has 2x200mm fans, 1x120mm fan, and one non-populate 120mm fan at the bottom right by the PSU.
Edit2: Fixed "switches turn off the fans" they turn off the LEDs in the fans...
May 2, 2012 6:04:32 AM

Wow, they are some great cases, it's a shame about the XCLIO Touch 787, over here that case costs quite a bit more, the equivalent of $174 :/ 
May 2, 2012 6:16:22 AM

On the specs for the Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 it says:

Quote:
2 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
2 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin, 1 x 3 -pin)
2 x Power Fan connector(s) (3 -pin)
1 x S/PDIF out header(s)
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
1 x Front panel audio connector(s) (AAFP)
1 x System panel(s) (Q-Connector)
1 x MemOK! button(s)
1 x TPU switch(es)
1 x EPU switch(es)

I don't quite understand that but would that support a case with 7 fans (or more)?
[/url]
May 2, 2012 7:10:15 AM

You connect fans to the PSU, not the MOBO.
May 2, 2012 8:06:37 AM

azeem40 said:
You connect fans to the PSU, not the MOBO.

Oh right :)  Thanks for pointing that out.
May 2, 2012 4:30:48 PM

^+1, ^+2: No, no, no.

You CAN connect fans to the motherboard! I do whenever possible. 3-pin or 4-pin PWM, depending.

That way the mobo can "control" or monitor the fan speed and temp and adjust.

For instance I have the Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard in a Antec P280 case. I have the 6 case fans, 2 CPU fans (push/pull), and a CPU Cooler pump:

3-pin PWR header to CPU Cooler pump,
4-pin CPU fan header to CPU fan (push),
4-pin CPU Opt header to CPU fan (pull),
4-pin Chassis fan header to a internal case fan (only using 3 pins),
3-pin Chassis header to another internal case fan,
3-pin PWR fan header to a top fan,

then, 2-front fans, and 1 top fan to PSU molex connectors (too many fans, not enough headers). So these molex connected fans run at full speed all the time, which is okay. The fans are Antec Tri-Cool fans, with 3 speed adjustments.

Whenever I used a "splitter" to run 2 fans off one header, the fans didn't spin up to full speed, and the mobo gave me crazy readings. I snipped the yellow wire to one of the fans, and the readings got better, but the fans still weren't up to speed.

I used to have a Antec Three Hundred case, and had it all hooked up this way:

3-pin PWR header to CPU Cooler pump,
4-pin CPU header to CPU fan,
4-pin CPU Opt header to CPU fan,
4-pin Chassis header to 4-pin Side fan,
3-pin Chassis header to one front fan,
3-pin PWR header to top fan,
and 1 front fan to PSU molex.

I used to have a RAM Fan hooked to one 3-pin PWR header, and had both front fans into PSU molex connectors. But the RAM Fan got noisy, and really wasn't doing anything, since I have great airflow.

So, as you can see, you can hook up fans to the motherboard! Most fans do plug into the 3-pin mobo header, and come with a 3-pin to 4-pin molex adapter.
May 3, 2012 6:09:32 AM

Thank foscooter, at least that alleviates my worry that the motherboard wouldn't support that many fans.

I'll be honest though it sounds a bit more complicated then I thought it would be, do the fans need to be connected to certain sockets on the mobo or can I just connect them to whatever is closest to them? I understand that I should use all the mobo sockets before connecting them directly to the PSU.
May 3, 2012 5:15:22 PM

Believe it or not, when in the Antec Three Hundred case, the fans were all connected to the fan headers that were closest to the fans.

The only thing you HAVE to connect is the CPU fans to the CPU fan headers, IMO. Because the mobo will adjust the speed by the temps/usage of the CPU.

The side fan is really close the the Opt Chassis fan, but I did have to upnlug it when I removed the cases side panel. This was not a probelm, I could rech the header, even with my mitts, and the big CPU cooler I had. The front fans wiring did reach the "front edge" fan header, behind the USB 3.0 front panel connector. Else, they were all there.
May 4, 2012 5:55:02 AM

Do you think that side would need to be removed if I were to use the Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU cooler? Because I do intend to get that.
May 4, 2012 10:57:54 AM

Oops what I meant to says was: Do you think that side FAN would need to be removed if I were to use the Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU cooler? Because I do intend to get that.
May 4, 2012 11:33:25 AM

^if your case is wide enough then you don't need to remove the side fan.
May 4, 2012 4:49:00 PM

No, the side fan is low enough to blow on the video card, and not in the way of the CPU cooler.

But I'd check some pictures.
August 2, 2012 4:32:54 AM

Rosewill Thor V2
!