Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I got my i7 3770k and p8z77v pro board today and I need help!!

Last response: in CPUs
August 15, 2012 1:12:32 AM

My system is hooked up and i am viewing cpu-z right now checking my core speed. I have bus speed at 108 and it is 4.5ghz but when i'm sitting idle or if something is downloading, the core speed drops to 1.7ghz! Whats up with this. I have the settings in the bios turned off that say anything about power saving!

Any ideas?
a c 186 à CPUs
August 15, 2012 1:16:02 AM

Why would you want it off? It saves power and prolongs your CPU life.

Simple as that, if you do something that requires more power, it will bump up to 4.5ghz. If you are doing a simple task like internet browsing, it will run at 1.7ghz.

DO NOT OC with BLCK, it can damage your CPU, Sata Ports, and PCIE. ALWAYS USE MULTIPLIER WITH K CPU's.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 15, 2012 1:17:54 AM

That's speedstep. It slows the processor down when it's not required.
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
August 15, 2012 1:18:46 AM

Are you sure you turned off EVERYTHING? SpeedStep and C-States, in particular?

Regardless, you should leave those ENABLED anyway. There's literally NO reason not to.

You DON'T need full speed ALL the time. I leave all of that enabled, even with my 4.5 OC because having a solid 4.5 ALL the time is pointless. Low idle speed and voltage is a GOOD thing. :) 

Edit: Wow, this one got EVERYBODY to reply, lol.
m
l
a c 132 à CPUs
August 15, 2012 1:20:09 AM

This is likely Windows' power management using SpeedStep. You'll have to go into power management settings and set the "minimum CPU state" to 100% if you do not want Windows to dial down clock multipliers while idle.

If you run something that requires a fair amount of CPU-power, the clock speed will go back up until the job is done, no need to disable speedstep and waste power.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 15, 2012 1:20:28 AM

amuffin said:
108 BLCK=Suicide.

That too...
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
August 15, 2012 1:21:39 AM

108 BLCK=Suicide.
m
l
a c 132 à CPUs
August 15, 2012 1:23:23 AM

amuffin said:
DO NOT OC with BLCK, it can damage your CPU, Sata Ports, and PCIE. ALWAYS USE MULTIPLIER WITH K CPU's

I doubt 8% overclock on SATA and friends will damage any of 'em. But it may wreck havoc on block error rates with picky devices.

Since OP is running at 4.5GHz, it is a safe bet that he didn't get there with the 8% BCLK overclock alone and his multiplier was already as high as it could reliably go.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 15, 2012 1:25:27 AM

InvalidError said:
I doubt 8% overclock on SATA and friends will damage any of 'em. But it may wreck havoc on block error rates with picky devices.

Since OP is running at 4.5GHz, it is a safe bet that he didn't get there with the 8% BCLK overclock alone and his multiplier was already as high as it could reliably go.

I haven't seen verification of it, but I've heard of a BCLK higher than 105Mhz or so permanently damaging USB devices.
m
l
August 15, 2012 1:27:31 AM

These are some of the fastest replies I have ever gotten anywhere! thanks so much guys. I looked again to make sure speedstep was disabled and it wasn't after all. I could have sworn I already disabled it. Oh well systems running great. Thanks again all of you
m
l
August 15, 2012 1:30:36 AM

I got it at 108 MHz bus speed. thats all i changed for the overclock. Is that bad? too high?
I raised voltage to 1.30 seems steady and super cool even while under decent load.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 15, 2012 1:31:06 AM

shaboden said:
I got it at 108 MHz bus speed. thats all i changed for the overclock. Is that bad? too high?
I raised voltage to 1.30 seems steady and super cool even while under decent load.

It may not be fatal to anything, but the thing is, with an unlocked CPU, there's just no reason to even mess with it. Just use the multipliers.
m
l
August 25, 2012 1:22:18 AM

okay cool thanks again guys for the input. Now I am having difficulty disabling speedstep. I have disabled it as well as C1e in the BiOs. what else could it be?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2012 8:54:30 AM

its similar to amd's cool n quiet i think. dont disable it.. it saves power when extra power not required
m
l
!