Sign in with
Your question

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2012 4:49:38 PM

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered "
Hello,
I have been searching and trying to fix this problem for days and this is getting really annoying. I have uninstalled, installed and uninstalled again the drivers for the graphics card. I have used driver cleaner Pro but still when I install the driver and play a game, it will freeze or go blue screen...
My video card is ATI Radeon HD 5670. I opened up the computer and cleaned the fans out so it is dust free, no luck.
I thought that the motherboard was causing this so I downloaded Live Update 5 and it installed some drivers, after that the fans started going at 100% so I had to go in the bios and change it to 50°C 37,5% because the computer was very loud. After that update from Live Update 5 the computer has gone worse.
My motherboard is a P31 Neo (MS-7392) Version 1.6
I did a format, hoping that the graphics card drivers would reset and the problem would go away but still I got BSOD... So I think that the problem is deeper than the graphics card..

What can I do?
February 24, 2012 4:56:50 PM

BSOD sounds like RAM my friend.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 5:01:49 PM

Most likely it is your graphics card, RMA or get new one problem solved :)  I had same issue and down the road card just gave up completely
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 5:06:27 PM

That's a very common issue with ATI and Nvidia cards. There are numerous forums dedicated to it for years, with no clear solution.

I've had it a couple times myself and it just went away on it's own or I did a fresh Windows install to get rid of it.

It's not ram, I personally believe it's a Windows issue, maybe an update that causes it.

Good luck.
m
l
March 5, 2012 8:55:13 AM

The computer went to a computer technician and his conclusion was that the video card was damaged, I had to buy a new one. The video card was only two years old and I have a low income so this is a bummer..

But thanks for the answers!
m
l
March 5, 2012 10:41:09 AM

You sure the technician wasn't lying? I got the same problem before but after doing a fresh install of Windows 7 and updating Nvidia Forceware to version 295.73. Don't know about ATI cards though but that solved my problem.
m
l
March 12, 2012 9:39:06 AM

I also did that, clean install and got the latest or old update for the graphics card, no luck. Even when I logged in the screen froze so in the end I couldn't do anything with out the computer freezing. Now it is working perfectly!
m
l
May 22, 2012 2:23:06 AM

Thats a confusing post. So your reinstall worked? Or what?
m
l
May 24, 2012 6:11:50 PM

Coputernewbie said:
Thats a confusing post. So your reinstall worked? Or what?

Like I said, I had to buy a new graphics card. It was damaged, everything OK now!
m
l
!