Video card problem / switching to integrated?

limogeas

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Currently running an MSI twin frozr II 6950 2gb, intel 2500k cpu, windows 7 ultimate. I am a first time system builder and put this together last summer. One of the two fans on my video card has been making noise. When I turn the system on, about 2/3 of the time it makes a pretty awful noise of varying volumes, it fluctuates for a bit, and seems to resolve. I've ignored it for a bit since it's functioning at the moment, just while watching the temps like a hawk and making sure it's still running. It's been going on for a month or so, the frequency and volume of the problem sees to be getting worse. I am definitely still under the manufacturer's warranty of 3 years and am considering sending it in to get fixed or replaced before something bad happens to the card or the rest of my system. So, two questions:

!) Anyone tried taking the cover off to replace a fan on a twin Frozr video card? If so, what part did you use and how did it go?

2) If it is not something that I should be playing with for risk of voiding my warranty, and possibly my pants, how do I switch to using the integrated video card on my 2500k while the 6950 is playing tag with the mailman? Just need to do homework, so I can live with my baby being in a wheelchair for a bit.

:D
Thanks,
-Alex.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

I bet it's just really dusty. blow it out with some compressed aie. i cant believe that fan is worn out already.......