Nvidia drivers 295.73

MCFCBlue

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Hello,

Since updating my drivers i've noticed a 8 degree increase in temps while just on the desktop, anyone else notice any changes in temps?

I haven't checked temps, but have noticed some flickering on the Windows Desktop (but games are fine). I'm going to try a wipe then re-install later today and see if it fixes the flickering.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
When I checked HWMonitor last night aftert playing Skyrim, yes, I thought the numbers were a little bit higher, but nothing to be concerned over. Maybe this driver is power hungry. When you have such performance boost, you don't expect everything comes from software tweak. At least some juice should be squeezed from the hardware as well.

Have you verified that you are at an idle GPU clock speed? Sometimes certain webpages will have flash video playing that will increase the clock speed and heat setting even when just doing simple web surfing.

MCFCBlue

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
I was thinking that maybe they have forced the 2d desktop settings to a more powerful clock rate.
Normaly 2d desktop settings drop down to low clock rates and you can notice that in the temps.
I didnt have any probs with the 2d desktop settings in earlier drivers did anyone else?

MCFCBlue

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007

Noticed the temps as soon as i reboot after installing the new drivers.

This Tom's Hardware site kicks me up from 51 mhz to 772, then 405 mhz, and then back down to 51 mhz just by opening the page.

I just cooled my GPU down with full fan and then switched back to Auto fan to see if my temps go back higher than normal. So far idling steady at 46c, which is normal for me this time of year.

You don't have multiple monitors going do you? That can lead to higher idle temps.

You can check this thread to see if anyone else is reporting the same issue:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4250677

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I noticed some flickering when playing videos, DVD's and YouTube videos.
:( I never had this problem before.

Edit: Tested it again on both DVD and YouTube flickering confirmed. :(
Also I did restarted my system right after the upgrade.

MCFCBlue

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007

My temps are usually 37-39c when i log into windows and then goes up to 43-44c when i open firefox. Now its just a constant 46c after logging into windows and when opening firefox.
I do have two monitors but only got the primary monitor ticked for use.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Tested a friends computer (that I also installed the driver for him) and he has the same flicker problem. I have not checked the temps (I don't know how)

I can't tell on games, since I don't have any games installed at this moment.

rmiiirusty

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Wow, I updated the drivers two days ago and ran 3dmark tests which of course did not verify because drivers are not accepted yet, but the point is my card scored higher than previous tests by a small margin and I have experienced no flickering and my temps which have allways idly hovered between 25c and 32c have not changed.
The card I am referring to is an asus gtx 55o ti dc top and I have overclocked with asus gpu tweek. I am not sure if maybe the drivers work better with some than others.

G

i updated only because i saw ambient occlusion for MW3 and the response time of my monitor got horrible, had to wait like 30 or more seconds to turn on back on; had turn off display after 20 minutes in power settings.

then it wouldn't display anything on boot up until i got to windows; no post screen.

so i went back to 290.53 (which i had no problems with), uninstalled 295.73, did driver sweep in safe mode, installed 290.53 and still have the same problem.

even the settings menu on my dell 2211h is slow as mole-asses. :p

edit: nevermind, i unplugged the power cord of my monitor and its all speedy again. (caps needed to discharge?)