Core Voltage Issue

Lillowh

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
So, given my very limited budget due to college, I have been constructing a gaming rig by slowly buying components and adding to my old HP Pavilion p6230y. I have added an Antect 550w Semi-modular power supply, a Radeon 6850, and have recently just purchased a Phenom II X4 965 BE. Now, everything else in the computer is still stock. After replacing the cpu, I noticed in HW monitor it was running hot, like 55-57C idle and jumping to 60-63 doing ANYTHING and 65-67 while under load with Sleeping dogs running. Wondering what could be the issue, I looked at the core settings to find what could possibly be going wrong in CPU-Z. The first thing I noticed was that it said core voltage was 2.1somethingorother. Thinking it might just be wrong, I checked HW monitor and it was saying the same thing. I had just installed this processor and had done nothing to mess with it. I immediately shut down my computer and went into the bios to set the core voltage back to around 1.23, under a friends recommendation. However, there are no option in the BIOS that have to do with any settings regarding the CPU, so I have shut my computer off indefinitely.

Does anyone have any idea of what could have caused this? Could the readings just be off? If they're not, is there any way to rectify the situation, or will I have to due without my computer while I get the funds to buy an aftermarket motherboard and a case to fit it? How likely is the CPU to be undamaged if the voltage was really running that high, since the computer was only on for about 5 hours?

Sorry for all the question but I'm at my wits end here. Thanks in advance.

Lillowh

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Sorry, I didn't specify, it's the stock cooler with the BE cpu, but I don't see what the cooler would have to do with the core voltage being set too high.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
The stock cooling BLOWS.

You need to get a third party cooler; if you don't have space you need to get a third party case and cooler. I'm a big fan of the Cooler Master V6, my stock temps are 18*C or less with my stock at 2.9 ghz @ 1.3v

to OC'd to 4.1ghz @ 1.5125v and 25*C or less depending on ambient temperature and never above 50*C when gaming on the CPU.

Lillowh

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

The problem is the core voltage is set to 2.18v, and I can't change it, which I'm pretty sure is a problem.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

As far as I know the max voltage for your CPU is 1.55v.

All phenom II cpus have this max.

Can you manually set your Vcore Voltage in your BIOS?

IMO it's your cooler and your monitoring software is not reading your Vcore properly.