PC making a sound after putting to sleep?

romeodakins

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
Sometimes when I put my pc to sleep it goes to sleep then it makes some kind of sound like sort of a screeching fireish sound, it sounds like the pc is gonna blow up or something, is this normal, it's happened like 4 times in the past 2-3 weeks I had this pc.

Solution

If the only symptom is 'whine' on the amplifier but the computer otherwise resumes fine then there likely is no problem aside from being annoying.

If you have weird problems upon resume such as Windows not accepting the password, network controller malfunctioning, computer crashing on resume or failing to resume, etc., then the 5VSB supply may be defective.

InvalidError

Titan
Since there is nothing biasing the sound chip's outputs while the computer is off/sleep, stray voltages from other components powered by 5VSB might be finding their way to the analog outputs.

With my previous PSU, I had a significant amount of whiny noise out of my amplifier while the PC was on standby and it went away when I upgraded the PSU. Pretty sure that was noise from 5VSB since the noise pitch was synchronized with the blinking sleep/power LED.

romeodakins

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012

Should I be worried? Or is this normal and I should just ignore it?

InvalidError

Titan

If the only symptom is 'whine' on the amplifier but the computer otherwise resumes fine then there likely is no problem aside from being annoying.

If you have weird problems upon resume such as Windows not accepting the password, network controller malfunctioning, computer crashing on resume or failing to resume, etc., then the 5VSB supply may be defective.

Solution