Solved

What do i need to upgrade ?

I have these spec`s

MOBO:ASUS M5A97

CPU : Phenom II x2 555BE OPENED 4cores

memory : 8 gig`s corsair vengence

PSU: 500 WAT gamma

GPU: ATI SAPPHIRE 6950 2 GB GDDR5

Case: NZXT LEXA S

MONITOR : LCD SAMSUNG 23 HD 1920* 1080 GAMING

I think i had bottleneck as i got in BF3 38 fps to 55 as highest fps

what do i need to upgrade is it CPU or PSU or what cuz i am really sick of FPS dropping and heat issue
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what upgrade
  1. Comes down to your bottleneck is at the CPU, im asuming you have bad FPS in larger multiplayer maps?
  2. yes Ur right in larger maps , putting the game aside ( what do u think i need to upgrade)>><<??
  3. Your CPU, probably means your motherboard too if you want to do it properly. Your PSU is abit close to the limit but if you do not overclock it will be fine.

    I would suggest an Intel I5 and a z77 motherboard.
  4. the CPU its your bottleneck
  5. Novuake said:
    Your CPU, probably means your motherboard too if you want to do it properly. Your PSU is abit close to the limit but if you do not overclock it will be fine.

    I would suggest an Intel I5 and a z77 motherboard.


    but , i dont need to change all the system upside down , not budget issue( but seems its like first time using intel and i need to go for nvidia ) i have the real funds and not a big deal for me but do i have to go for X6 or Bulldozer or i have to switch to intel and nvidia>> ??
  6. Best answer
    You dont need to change your GPU.

    You can keep using your HD6950 with an intel CPU. I would say switch to Intel as they are better at this time.
  7. Novuake said:
    You dont need to change your GPU.

    You can keep using your HD6950 with an intel CPU. I would say switch to Intel as they are better at this time.


    then what u recommending me to buy ( I5 2500 K or somthing else)
  8. Best answer selected by the elve.
  9. Depends. Are you interested in overclocking?
    If not rather just get an I5-3550.

    http://www.gigabyte.co.za/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=4280,4279

    The above boards are pretty cool. Just so you can get an idea of the z77 boards. You may want to shop around for your preference(like front panel USB3 headers and stuff like that).
  10. That card should only run around medium in BF3 and give decent FPS your CPU is not bottlenecking that card so swapping to Intel will show you almost NO gain. Your best off trying to OC the CPU a little and getting a better GPU.

    If you want to see if the CPU is bottlenecking the card go play BF3 and at the same time watch CPU and GPU usage if the CPU is going flat out while the GPU is barely having to bother there is a bottleneck....... I'll bet that is not the case.
  11. wr6133 said:
    That card should only run around medium in BF3 and give decent FPS your CPU is not bottlenecking that card so swapping to Intel will show you almost NO gain. Your best off trying to OC the CPU a little and getting a better GPU.

    If you want to see if the CPU is bottlenecking the card go play BF3 and at the same time watch CPU and GPU usage if the CPU is going flat out while the GPU is barely having to bother there is a bottleneck....... I'll bet that is not the case.


    at the end of the day , i dont have to change anything at all ( only i ve to get like 7970 for instance) or what?
  12. First you need to identify where the bottleneck is occuring if as I'm sure it is, it's the GPU then you would need a better GPU.

    If its the CPU (which I doubt most games are GPU bound) then you need to overclock or get a better CPU

    If you rush off and buy an i5 when the bottleneck is the GPU then yes you have a better CPU but you wont actually see any gain as the GPU is still gimping your system.
  13. Fire up BF3 and watch CPU and GPU usage on a game of 64 man caspian border it will give you a good indicator
  14. wr6133 said:
    First you need to identify where the bottleneck is occuring if as I'm sure it is, it's the GPU then you would need a better GPU.

    If its the CPU (which I doubt most games are GPU bound) then you need to overclock or get a better CPU

    If you rush off and buy an i5 when the bottleneck is the GPU then yes you have a better CPU but you wont actually see any gain as the GPU is still gimping your system.


    then i ll test first?

    i play bf3 then open task manager and see usage of cpu

    and in same time i open the catalyst manger to see the ATI usage ?

    sorry for my bad English( from Egypt_)
  15. that would work yes its not the most scientific way but it will give an indicator. If you set them as always on top and literally run around the map watching them as you do.

    I suspect what we will see is very high GPU usage and medium CPU usage with both then spiking when you get the dips
  16. wr6133 said:
    First you need to identify where the bottleneck is occuring if as I'm sure it is, it's the GPU then you would need a better GPU.

    If its the CPU (which I doubt most games are GPU bound) then you need to overclock or get a better CPU

    If you rush off and buy an i5 when the bottleneck is the GPU then yes you have a better CPU but you wont actually see any gain as the GPU is still gimping your system.


    Considering that he has an AMD HD6950 that should run BF3 very well, it can not be that.

    Large Multiplayer maps that he has said is the problem, is very CPU intensive, i assure you it is a CPU bottleneck.

    Feel free to test it OP.
  17. that would work yes its not the most scientific way but it will give an indicator. If you set them as always on top and literally run around the map watching them as you do.

    I suspect what we will see is very high GPU usage and medium CPU usage with both then spiking when you get the dips[/quotemsg


    thanks man , u ve been a great help for me u and all this great forum

    one last thing if i go for GPU (7970 or Nvidia 670 ) what u advise me to go for?

    sorry for talkin too much man :D
  18. Novuake said:
    Considering that he has an AMD HD6950 that should run BF3 very well, it can not be that.

    Large Multiplayer maps that he has said is the problem, is very CPU intensive, i assure you it is a CPU bottleneck.

    Feel free to test it OP.


    u make also a point cuz i found that all the games even maxpayne 3 and Metro 2033 on ultra on 1080p running smooth

    but weird i found BF3 single is running perfect i know it s like different engine but its as i said WEIRD this multiplayer got only 45 to 55 sometimes up rise for 60 fps

    what u recommend me to go for CPU?
  19. Anonymous said:
    that would work yes its not the most scientific way but it will give an indicator. If you set them as always on top and literally run around the map watching them as you do.

    I suspect what we will see is very high GPU usage and medium CPU usage with both then spiking when you get the dips[/quotemsg


    thanks man , u ve been a great help for me u and all this great forum

    one last thing if i go for GPU (7970 or Nvidia 670 ) what u advise me to go for?

    sorry for talkin too much man :D


    HD7970. But the performance from the HD6950 will not be worth the cash in my opinion.
  20. Novuake said:
    Depends. Are you interested in overclocking?
    If not rather just get an I5-3550.

    http://www.gigabyte.co.za/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=4280,4279

    The above boards are pretty cool. Just so you can get an idea of the z77 boards. You may want to shop around for your preference(like front panel USB3 headers and stuff like that).


    the elve said:
    u make also a point cuz i found that all the games even maxpayne 3 and Metro 2033 on ultra on 1080p running smooth

    but weird i found BF3 single is running perfect i know it s like different engine but its as i said WEIRD this multiplayer got only 45 to 55 sometimes up rise for 60 fps

    what u recommend me to go for CPU?


    As i said. I5-3550.
  21. hmm thanks all of you u Ve been great help for me :D i ll run my calculations and see what i ll go through
  22. After many tests i found that during intensive gameplay CPU rising up to 80 to 90% usage and GPU for 50 to 60 % as maximum if not 30 and 40%

    then Its a CPU issue
  23. Correct.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs