So I think I have decided on the 6850, got some questions

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

With this card going on sale for $135 and $120 after rebate, I think I have decided on getting it.
I was going to go for a 6870, but there were just too many issues that kept arising.
A 6870 was expensive, required 2 PCIE plugs, and was big compared to the space available in my NZXT Gamma case.

I intend to overclock the the 6850, but I had a concern about power conditions.
A 6850 only has one PCI plug, but overclocking it usually causes a larger power draw, does that
mean a single plug won't be enough to power it overclocked?

This will also be my first time overclocking.

The power connections will offer plenty of power even.with an.overclock with that card. Msi afterburner is a.great overclocking.tool and.free id highly recommend downloading it as i.use it myself for.overclocking and fan profiles.
The 6850 uses roughly 125w at full load so you will be able to support an overclock with the pcie supplying 75w and the 6 pin supplying another 75w. = 150.
For overclocking i recommend checking out a tutorial to help explain the pros and.risks involved.as.well as in depth instructions to help you get the most out of your card

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Read plenty of guides, but nothing was mentioned on if the power draw warrants another cable/ connection.

Thanks for the advice

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Since I intend to overclock the GPU, I wanted to know what was a good stress test besides actually playing games?

I hear Furmark causes Temps to rise to unrealistic levels, so I wondered if Uniengine Heave 2.5
will work as a good stress test. I ran the benchmark on my integrated i3 HD 2000 graphics to see how it fared.
About an average of 3 FPS at 1080P and no AA