camera for less than $200

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 28, 2005 9:40:31 PM

Hi everyone,

any recommendations for a reasonably good digital camera under USD 200? I
don't care much about the size, I want to get the best for around 150 bucks.
I'm total amateur in photography, need camera for taking vacation pictures.

Thanks ahead!

More about : camera 200

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:40:32 PM

esefers wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> any recommendations for a reasonably good digital camera under
> USD 200? I don't care much about the size, I want to get the
> best for around 150 bucks. I'm total amateur in photography,
> need camera for taking vacation pictures.
>
> Thanks ahead! E

You'll probably do okay with any of the major traditional camera
brands: Canon, Nikon, Konica-Minolta, Olympus, Pentax, Fuji,
Kodak, or the major new players who entered into the digital
camera business: HP, Sony, Casio, Toshiba.

I'd stay away from the no-name brands.

Some brands like Canon and Nikon are pretty expensive, but even
with them you can sometimes find older, discontinued models on
sale in your price range.

I recommend picking a camera with a 3:1 optical zoom and a
minimum of 3 megapixels of resolution. That gives you a ton of
cheap choices. If you expect to make 8x10's, 4 mp will look a
bit sharper and 5 mp a bit sharper still - though after that
there's no real benefit I think unless you make still larger
photos.

If you have a choice, cameras using CompactFlash or SecureDigital
memory cards offer cheaper memory than those requiring xD cards.
You'll probably have to buy a memory card since the 16 or 32 MB
cards coming with the cameras aren't big enough.

I also like cameras that use AA batteries because you can buy
cheap NiMH spares. But you may find a good deal on one with a
proprietary battery and that should be acceptable for you too.

Have a look at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com
and
http://www.dpreview.com

for reviews and advice.

Enjoy your camera.

Alan
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:40:33 PM

On 28 Jun 2005 14:22:35 -0700, Alan Meyer wrote:

> If you have a choice, cameras using CompactFlash or SecureDigital
> memory cards offer cheaper memory than those requiring xD cards.
> You'll probably have to buy a memory card since the 16 or 32 MB
> cards coming with the cameras aren't big enough.

Times change. Several days ago I saw B&H had 1GB Sandisk CF and
1GB Olympus xD cards for the same price. I didn't check prices on
any of the smaller sizes so xD may still be a bit more overall, but
they're not nearly twice the price like they were late last year.
June 29, 2005 1:04:05 AM

I bought a Kodak Easy Share camera, but am having a problem finding a
cable to connect to my Web Plus TV. I just have the computer connector.
Help Please.
You can email me. Jo Jo
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:24:01 AM

"esefers" <esefers@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> any recommendations for a reasonably good digital camera under USD 200? I
> don't care much about the size, I want to get the best for around 150
bucks.
> I'm total amateur in photography, need camera for taking vacation
pictures.

> Thanks ahead!

Hmm... I would stay away from dirt-cheap cams (USD 50)
They use to have batterypowered 'Static Ram' to hold your pictures, when
the bat is flat or removed your pic's are gone :-(

What aboat getting a used cam? Take a look here :
http://www.s5000.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=3590...

and you'll see what used 'FujiFinepix S5000' cameraes goes for.
AP
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:59:58 AM

esefers wrote:
> any recommendations for a reasonably good digital camera under USD 200? I
> don't care much about the size, I want to get the best for around 150
> bucks. I'm total amateur in photography, need camera for taking vacation
> pictures....

One approach is to seek out what the Consumer Report says, and use that as
you starting point for further inquiry.
"Consumer Reports On Digital Cameras"
http://www.dcresource.com/news/index.php?date=2005-06
2/3 down the page. So, Fuji FinePix A330 is popular.

And, it appears to be a safe choice.
"Digicam Roundup: $150"
http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcameras/showdoc.aspx?i=...

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:24:01 -0700, "A.P." <nobody@telenor.invalid> wrote:

>"esefers" <esefers@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> any recommendations for a reasonably good digital camera under USD 200? I
>> don't care much about the size, I want to get the best for around 150
>bucks.
>> I'm total amateur in photography, need camera for taking vacation
>pictures.
>>
>> Thanks ahead!

Low buck special: Kodak sells refurbs on their web site. I got
a 3 megapixel CX7300 (fixed focus, no zoom) for $85. However
you get what you pay for, and if you can afford more, the two
choices below would be much better digitals than the Kodak.

Canon Powershot A400. I see these being sold locally for $149.
You could search the Internet camera stores for a better price.
Camera is 3.3 megapixels, has a 2.2x zoom (45-100mm), uses
SD cards (which seem to becoming more and more common).
You'll want a charger and NiMH batteries as well as a bigger
SD card (128 megs). This will be somewhere around the $200
range, depending upon how good a bargain you can find...

A better camera to consider is the Minolta Z10 (I have one).
These are I suspect being discontinued in favor of a five
megapixel model (Z20) and I just purchased mine from
Digital Foto Discount Club for $165 (included shipping).
Minolta claims up to five hundred pictures on standard
disposable batteries (4AA) so you might not need to buy
rechargables unless you take a lot of pictures. Camera
uses SD cards. I purchased mine from Circuit City for
$20 (plus MI sales tax). Camera offers a lot more than
the Canon like 8x zoom, SLR type viewing, all sorts of
"controls", etc. Only negative is that it is the size (not
the weight) of a small 35mm SLR. Camera shake is a
problem when you zoom all the way out, I might add...

As a camera to carry around with you, the Canon A400
would probably be the best choice. The Minolta would
be a better choice if the camera isn't going to be carried
around that much. Not so much due to weight as "bulk".

Jerome Bigge
Photographer and Astronomer
Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"
!