Sign in with
Your question

Help me diagnose the problem with my computer. It won't start.

Last response: in Components
August 15, 2012 8:31:48 AM

hey,
So today when i got home and tried to turn on my computer, the power LED flashed and nothing else happened.
If i try pressing the power button again, nothing at all happens, the LED doesn't even flash. I have checked that the power switch cable is properly plugged into my motherboard. If i want the power LED to flash again i have to turn the PSU off and on, then press the power button and it will flash, but still nothing else happens.

I was thinking that the PSU may have died due to over-use, I have had it for 3 year and it would have been used for 35,000+ hours at least. It is an Armacrox Freestyle 750w.

Also the computer rarely ever crashes, and was working great last night.

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @3.10 (Stock cooler).
MOBO: Gigabyte 990Fxa-D3
RAM: 16Gb Corsair vengeance 1600mhz
PSU: Armacrox freestyle 750w.(3 years old)
HDD: 1TB Barracuda. (3 years old.)

Thanks guys, any help as to what the matter is would be greatly appreciated.
August 15, 2012 8:38:00 AM

PSU or motherboard failure. The only way you can really test it is to get hold of another PSU and see if it starts. If it doesn't, its the mobo.

Generally speaking, I tend to see these symptoms happen with failed mobos. PSUs that die often go with a literal bang.
m
l
August 15, 2012 8:54:55 AM

noise said:
PSU or motherboard failure. The only way you can really test it is to get hold of another PSU and see if it starts. If it doesn't, its the mobo.

Generally speaking, I tend to see these symptoms happen with failed mobos. PSUs that die often go with a literal bang.

Lol i didn't hear a bang, I might try testing a different psu tonight.
m
l
!