Xbox HDTV cable?

What's the best (costwise) route to go with my Sony 60XS/Arcam
AVR300/KEF Reference setup? Being a closet audiophile wannabe, I
understand better cables/better quality but am wondering if the Monster
400 cable is worth it over the Microsoft version:
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustratingReview.asp?item=N8
2E16874103005

Are they both component connections? Will I see a substantial
improvement over the standard RCA setup? I've sunk enough dough into my
Xbox and I'm weary of sinking much more with new consoles around the
corner? It's more for my kids but OK I admit I play a lot as well. I'm
probably going PSX3 as soon as I can get one so again, I want to
limit/monitor my future investment in the Xbox. I have some games to
trade for the Monster 400 cable if anyone is interested as well.

Thanks for any input,

Scott
36 answers Last reply
More about xbox hdtv cable

    From having used both MS and MC400 I can say the MC400 has much better
    shielding. I have to run my cables (Antenna, xbox, others) right next to
    each other. I first bought the MS cables and got interference on OTA
    signals (while I watch my tv and son played xbox next to it on a
    monitor) that I never had before so I returned those and sprang fon the
    MC400 and no interference now.

    <asahitoro@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > What's the best (costwise) route to go with my Sony 60XS/Arcam
    > AVR300/KEF Reference setup? Being a closet audiophile wannabe, I
    > understand better cables/better quality but am wondering if the Monster
    > 400 cable is worth it over the Microsoft version:
    > http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustratingReview.asp?item=N8
    > 2E16874103005
    >
    > Are they both component connections? Will I see a substantial
    > improvement over the standard RCA setup? I've sunk enough dough into my
    > Xbox and I'm weary of sinking much more with new consoles around the
    > corner? It's more for my kids but OK I admit I play a lot as well. I'm
    > probably going PSX3 as soon as I can get one so again, I want to
    > limit/monitor my future investment in the Xbox. I have some games to
    > trade for the Monster 400 cable if anyone is interested as well.
    >
    > Thanks for any input,

    Don't get caught up in cable hype/confusion.
    Pick up the MS pair and save your money.

    I have tried all types of super high end to low end component, toslink,
    coax, stereo cables etc and so on.
    There is no difference at all between $2000 dollar component cable vs $30
    dollar cables.
    Monster is to cabling as to what Bose is to speaker/audio.

    asahitoro@nospam.com wrote:
    > What's the best (costwise) route to go with my Sony 60XS/Arcam
    > AVR300/KEF Reference setup? Being a closet audiophile wannabe, I
    > understand better cables/better quality but am wondering if the Monster
    > 400 cable is worth it over the Microsoft version:
    > http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustratingReview.asp?item=N8
    > 2E16874103005
    >
    > Are they both component connections? Will I see a substantial
    > improvement over the standard RCA setup? I've sunk enough dough into my
    > Xbox and I'm weary of sinking much more with new consoles around the
    > corner? It's more for my kids but OK I admit I play a lot as well. I'm
    > probably going PSX3 as soon as I can get one so again, I want to
    > limit/monitor my future investment in the Xbox. I have some games to
    > trade for the Monster 400 cable if anyone is interested as well.
    >
    > Thanks for any input,
    ^^^^^

    Nice pun.

    Without any specific comparison to refer to, I can still say that
    monster or specialty cables are largely a rip-off -- a tiny to
    negligible gain in quality for a significant increase in price. As long
    as you stay away from el-cheapo versions of cables, you should be
    well-served. The standard Microsoft cables have always presented
    themselves as well-made, and I would expect no less of the component
    video cable.

    You're not supposed to buy your own father's day present! You kids
    are supposed to buy you a ridiculous tie or socks to wear at work.

    I think most agree that Monster cables are not worth what they cost. I have
    the MS brand and they work just fine.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > <asahitoro@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> What's the best (costwise) route to go with my Sony 60XS/Arcam
    >> AVR300/KEF Reference setup? Being a closet audiophile wannabe, I
    >> understand better cables/better quality but am wondering if the Monster
    >> 400 cable is worth it over the Microsoft version:
    >> http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustratingReview.asp?item=N8
    >> 2E16874103005
    >>
    >> Are they both component connections? Will I see a substantial
    >> improvement over the standard RCA setup? I've sunk enough dough into my
    >> Xbox and I'm weary of sinking much more with new consoles around the
    >> corner? It's more for my kids but OK I admit I play a lot as well. I'm
    >> probably going PSX3 as soon as I can get one so again, I want to
    >> limit/monitor my future investment in the Xbox. I have some games to
    >> trade for the Monster 400 cable if anyone is interested as well.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any input,
    >
    > Don't get caught up in cable hype/confusion.
    > Pick up the MS pair and save your money.
    >
    > I have tried all types of super high end to low end component, toslink,
    > coax, stereo cables etc and so on.
    > There is no difference at all between $2000 dollar component cable vs $30
    > dollar cables.
    > Monster is to cabling as to what Bose is to speaker/audio.

    Dick, I just bought the Bose 3-2-1 system for Father's Day. Don't talk
    about my Bose!

    asahitoro@nospam.com wrote:

    > Are they both component connections? Will I see a substantial
    > improvement over the standard RCA setup? I've sunk enough dough into my
    > Xbox and I'm weary of sinking much more with new consoles around the
    > corner? It's more for my kids but OK I admit I play a lot as well. I'm
    > probably going PSX3 as soon as I can get one so again, I want to
    > limit/monitor my future investment in the Xbox. I have some games to
    > trade for the Monster 400 cable if anyone is interested as well.

    Rule #1: You shouldn't spend more than 2-5% of your total AV setup's worth
    on cables.

    That said, Monster is little more than extra thick, mediocre cables sold
    at an insane mark-up. You can get better cables for less - but again,
    we're talking about a game console here. There's no need to spend $100
    (or even $50) on cables most of the time.

    There are 3 common analog video connections available on TVs today:
    * Composite video. Single RCA-cable. Usually yellow. At least it's
    better than the old cable-TV style coax cable...

    * S-video. Single cable with the sort of strange connector (has a number
    of pins inside - each pin is actually one separate signal) Much better
    and sharper picture quality over composite video.

    * Component video. Composed of 3 separate RCA cables (usually Green, Blue
    and Red - not to be confused with the audio signal's red cable) Gives
    much better color reproduction over S-video. Also, if your TV supports
    HDTV and/or progressive scan, you *MUST* use component video to use these
    features.

    Even if your TV supports component video inputs, but not HDTV or progressive
    scan, you'll still see a significant improvement over s-video. Especially
    when watching DVDs.

    You'll also want to pick up an optical audio cable to connect your Xbox to
    your surround sound receiver.

    <asahitoro@nospam.com> wrote
    > What's the best (costwise) route to go with my Sony 60XS/Arcam
    > AVR300/KEF Reference setup? Being a closet audiophile wannabe, I
    > understand better cables/better quality but am wondering if the Monster
    > 400 cable is worth it over the Microsoft version:

    Just get the Microsoft HDAV pack and use the component cables that come with
    it -- and then head to Walmart to pick up a $6 fiber optic cable so you can
    DD5.1/DTS out of the XBox. Buy a game with the money you will save.

    Off-topic (for XBox), but if you later are looking for a DVI-HDMI cable to
    hook some component device up to your HDTV (without using up a component set
    of inputs), check out monoprice.com DVI/HDMI cables are rediculously marked
    up in retail stores.

    I got a DVI-HDMI cable from there for $8.50 and it works just fine.

    Cheers,
    -E

    "Eras" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message
    > <asahitoro@nospam.com> wrote
    >> What's the best (costwise) route to go with my Sony 60XS/Arcam
    >> AVR300/KEF Reference setup? Being a closet audiophile wannabe, I
    >> understand better cables/better quality but am wondering if the Monster
    >> 400 cable is worth it over the Microsoft version:
    >
    > Just get the Microsoft HDAV pack and use the component cables that come
    > with
    > it -- and then head to Walmart to pick up a $6 fiber optic cable so you
    > can
    > DD5.1/DTS out of the XBox. Buy a game with the money you will save.
    >
    > Off-topic (for XBox), but if you later are looking for a DVI-HDMI cable to
    > hook some component device up to your HDTV (without using up a component
    > set
    > of inputs), check out monoprice.com DVI/HDMI cables are rediculously
    > marked
    > up in retail stores.
    >
    > I got a DVI-HDMI cable from there for $8.50 and it works just fine.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > -E

    I personally like 480i over 480p for most of my Xbox games. Burnout3 looks
    great at 480p but RallySport 2 looks horrible. 480p really brings out the
    jaggies in most of my games. I have a Sony Wega 32" 4:3 HD set and I can't
    imagine what the games would look like on a really big screen.
    I agree that the stock MS cables work just fine. For the poster that was
    having interference problems I bet if you would have spent a little time
    arranging your cables you could have fixed the problem with out having to
    spend all that cash on Monster rip off cable. Heck RadioShack sells really
    nice cables for 1/4 of the price and they work great. JLC

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <asahitoro@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> What's the best (costwise) route to go with my Sony 60XS/Arcam
    >>> AVR300/KEF Reference setup? Being a closet audiophile wannabe, I
    >>> understand better cables/better quality but am wondering if the Monster
    >>> 400 cable is worth it over the Microsoft version:
    >>> http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustratingReview.asp?item=N8
    >>> 2E16874103005
    >>>
    >>> Are they both component connections? Will I see a substantial
    >>> improvement over the standard RCA setup? I've sunk enough dough into my
    >>> Xbox and I'm weary of sinking much more with new consoles around the
    >>> corner? It's more for my kids but OK I admit I play a lot as well. I'm
    >>> probably going PSX3 as soon as I can get one so again, I want to
    >>> limit/monitor my future investment in the Xbox. I have some games to
    >>> trade for the Monster 400 cable if anyone is interested as well.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any input,
    >>
    >> Don't get caught up in cable hype/confusion.
    >> Pick up the MS pair and save your money.
    >>
    >> I have tried all types of super high end to low end component, toslink,
    >> coax, stereo cables etc and so on.
    >> There is no difference at all between $2000 dollar component cable vs $30
    >> dollar cables.
    >> Monster is to cabling as to what Bose is to speaker/audio.
    >>

    > Dick, I just bought the Bose 3-2-1 system for Father's Day. Don't talk
    > about my Bose!

    *trying to keep a straight face so hard it hurts ;-)*
    The Bose 3-2-1 system is a decent setup for the price. I am talking about
    their single speaker tiny ass cube systems. I recently had an addition done
    to my home. My subwoofer was delivered on the back of a tractor trailer
    (freight). The workers thought I was having a new oven or fridge delivered.
    When I told them what it was one of the guys almost fell off his ladder. I
    took them down into my basement to check out my theater and I did a few
    demo's for them. They were completely blown awya but there is a catch.....

    yah ready? ;-)
    One of the guys told me "just wait until I get my Bose this Fall! I will
    invite you over so you can have speaker envy." I had to do everything I
    could not to fall on the floor laughing.

    That is how brainwashed the public is over Bose.
    Bose, like Monster, has the public fooled into thinking they are extremely
    high end.
    They have made a fortune from the incredible marketing and hype machine.
    Take you for example :-)

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> <asahitoro@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>> Don't get caught up in cable hype/confusion.
    >>> Pick up the MS pair and save your money.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried all types of super high end to low end component, toslink,
    >>> coax, stereo cables etc and so on.
    >>> There is no difference at all between $2000 dollar component cable vs
    >>> $30 dollar cables.
    >>> Monster is to cabling as to what Bose is to speaker/audio.
    >>>

    >> Dick, I just bought the Bose 3-2-1 system for Father's Day. Don't talk
    >> about my Bose!
    >
    > *trying to keep a straight face so hard it hurts ;-)*
    > The Bose 3-2-1 system is a decent setup for the price. I am talking about
    > their single speaker tiny ass cube systems. I recently had an addition
    > done to my home. My subwoofer was delivered on the back of a tractor
    > trailer (freight). The workers thought I was having a new oven or fridge
    > delivered. When I told them what it was one of the guys almost fell off
    > his ladder. I took them down into my basement to check out my theater and
    > I did a few demo's for them. They were completely blown awya but there is
    > a catch.....
    >
    > yah ready? ;-)
    > One of the guys told me "just wait until I get my Bose this Fall! I will
    > invite you over so you can have speaker envy." I had to do everything I
    > could not to fall on the floor laughing.
    >
    > That is how brainwashed the public is over Bose.
    > Bose, like Monster, has the public fooled into thinking they are extremely
    > high end.
    > They have made a fortune from the incredible marketing and hype machine.
    > Take you for example :-)

    You are an audiophile. I am a sports fanatic. I will not spend $2000 on a
    set up when I still have 3 children 5 and under in my house. I will spend
    $2000 on an autographed HOF helmet and jersey from Dan Marino but I'll be
    damned if I will spend that on anything that depreciates as quickly as
    electronics. My WEGA was the most that I have ever spent on electronics and
    the only reason I was allowed to buy that was because our Toshiba big screen
    didn't fit next to the fireplace in our living room.

    Good audio equipment don't depreciate. $20,000 speakers from 5 years
    ago will still cost 20,000 today. It's just low end equipment that
    drop in price, so you can kinda say that it's a better investment to
    buy expensive audio stuff.

    Bose really isn't as bad as you say. Sure it's overhyped and many are
    in the disbelief that it is the pinnacle of audio;yet it still offers
    exceptional ergonomics (something Bose's demographic treasures) and
    pretty good audio. However, I just assume use Dan Marino's helmet as a
    spittoon. and get the audio rig.

    Geek ;>P
    Boody sez Whooooooosssshhhhh......

    I bet you're one of those tweaky bastards that actually "finds" a
    discernable difference in 192kbps mp3 huh? I should start calling you
    Dot OGG.....

    Personally, I'm more of a "more functionality bang for your buck kind
    of guy". As in, I don't see the advantage at anything past 5.1 period
    until there's more "discrete channel" ubiquitous support on media out
    there without searching too hard. Do you have a HTPC with your rig? If
    not, or you wanna try something a generation ahead of MCE, try XBMC
    (xbox media center). It's only disadvantage to MCE is the inherent
    hardware limitation. If you have archived audio (.rar or .zip), the
    makers released support for those extensions not too long ago.

    > "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> Dick, I just bought the Bose 3-2-1 system for Father's Day. Don't talk
    >>> about my Bose!
    >>
    >> *trying to keep a straight face so hard it hurts ;-)*
    >> The Bose 3-2-1 system is a decent setup for the price. I am talking
    >> about their single speaker tiny ass cube systems. I recently had an
    >> addition done to my home. My subwoofer was delivered on the back of a
    >> tractor trailer (freight). The workers thought I was having a new oven or
    >> fridge delivered. When I told them what it was one of the guys almost
    >> fell off his ladder. I took them down into my basement to check out my
    >> theater and I did a few demo's for them. They were completely blown awya
    >> but there is a catch.....
    >>
    >> yah ready? ;-)
    >> One of the guys told me "just wait until I get my Bose this Fall! I will
    >> invite you over so you can have speaker envy." I had to do everything I
    >> could not to fall on the floor laughing.
    >>
    >> That is how brainwashed the public is over Bose.
    >> Bose, like Monster, has the public fooled into thinking they are
    >> extremely high end.
    >> They have made a fortune from the incredible marketing and hype machine.
    >> Take you for example :-)
    >
    > You are an audiophile. I am a sports fanatic. I will not spend $2000 on
    > a set up when I still have 3 children 5 and under in my house. I will
    > spend $2000 on an autographed HOF helmet and jersey from Dan Marino but
    > I'll be damned if I will spend that on anything that depreciates as
    > quickly as electronics. My WEGA was the most that I have ever spent on
    > electronics and the only reason I was allowed to buy that was because our
    > Toshiba big screen didn't fit next to the fireplace in our living room.

    Screw my kids! I am the only one that matter in my household... ;-)
    Actually electronics is my hobby, it's my only vice so my wife allows it.
    Besides, I can get back what almost every dollar I shelled out for my
    speakers and most of what I spent for my electronics. Good quality speakers
    and electronics retain their value for years and years.

    "brun132001" <brun132001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Good audio equipment don't depreciate. $20,000 speakers from 5 years
    > ago will still cost 20,000 today. It's just low end equipment that
    > drop in price, so you can kinda say that it's a better investment to
    > buy expensive audio stuff.

    no doubt.
    Most audiophiles upgrade so often that they are really only spending money
    to get to the next level without really losing the money they have already
    invested. I have been climbing the ladder with my toys for the past several
    years and I have yet to lose a significant amount of money for doing so.
    Maybe a couple hundred to possibly 1k. but that had more to do with my being
    impatient to turn a quick dollar and upgrade faster then depreciation.

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in
    >>> message news:O_adnZz2WOcbDzLfRVn-hw@comcast.com...

    >>> *trying to keep a straight face so hard it hurts ;-)*
    >>> The Bose 3-2-1 system is a decent setup for the price. I am talking
    >>> about their single speaker tiny ass cube systems. I recently had an
    >>> addition done to my home. My subwoofer was delivered on the back of a
    >>> tractor trailer (freight). The workers thought I was having a new oven
    >>> or fridge delivered. When I told them what it was one of the guys almost
    >>> fell off his ladder. I took them down into my basement to check out my
    >>> theater and I did a few demo's for them. They were completely blown awya
    >>> but there is a catch.....
    >>>
    >>> yah ready? ;-)
    >>> One of the guys told me "just wait until I get my Bose this Fall! I will
    >>> invite you over so you can have speaker envy." I had to do everything I
    >>> could not to fall on the floor laughing.
    >>>
    >>> That is how brainwashed the public is over Bose.
    >>> Bose, like Monster, has the public fooled into thinking they are
    >>> extremely high end.
    >>> They have made a fortune from the incredible marketing and hype machine.
    >>> Take you for example :-)
    >>
    >> You are an audiophile. I am a sports fanatic. I will not spend $2000 on
    >> a set up when I still have 3 children 5 and under in my house. I will
    >> spend $2000 on an autographed HOF helmet and jersey from Dan Marino but
    >> I'll be damned if I will spend that on anything that depreciates as
    >> quickly as electronics. My WEGA was the most that I have ever spent on
    >> electronics and the only reason I was allowed to buy that was because our
    >> Toshiba big screen didn't fit next to the fireplace in our living room.
    >
    > Screw my kids! I am the only one that matter in my household... ;-)

    I don't mean that I need to spend that money on my kids, I mean that they
    are not old enough for me to punch in the stomach for breaking my stuff. I
    don't have to punch my wife because she has a job and can replace them if
    need be. No such luck with my 1 year old. He just learned to walk and put
    a crack in my WEGA with a f$%#ing Higglytown Hero action figure. After
    hitting him in the head at long range with a size 11 Reebok, I felt too bad
    to continue the beat down.

    > Actually electronics is my hobby, it's my only vice so my wife allows it.
    > Besides, I can get back what almost every dollar I shelled out for my
    > speakers and most of what I spent for my electronics. Good quality
    > speakers and electronics retain their value for years and years.

    exactly the reason why i haven't (among so many other obvious reasons
    [i.e. lack of content, various interfaces, new technological flaws
    being ironed out, price) purchased an HDTV yet. 480p on most games
    looks like pixelated dogshit.

    I'll be looking to get mine around spring of next year.

    LMAO!

    > "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in
    message

    > >> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustratingReview.asp?item=N8

    > >> You are an audiophile. I am a sports fanatic. I will not spend $2000
    on
    > >> a set up when I still have 3 children 5 and under in my house. I will
    > >> spend $2000 on an autographed HOF helmet and jersey from Dan Marino but
    > >> I'll be damned if I will spend that on anything that depreciates as
    > >> quickly as electronics. My WEGA was the most that I have ever spent on
    > >> electronics and the only reason I was allowed to buy that was because
    our
    > >> Toshiba big screen didn't fit next to the fireplace in our living room.
    > >
    > > Screw my kids! I am the only one that matter in my household... ;-)
    >
    > I don't mean that I need to spend that money on my kids, I mean that they
    > are not old enough for me to punch in the stomach for breaking my stuff.

    Damn you. You got me again.
    I just sat at my desk with a fresh cup of coffee!

    >I don't have to punch my wife because she has a job and can replace them if
    > need be. No such luck with my 1 year old. He just learned to walk and
    put
    > a crack in my WEGA with a f$%#ing Higglytown Hero action figure. After
    > hitting him in the head at long range with a size 11 Reebok, I felt too
    bad
    > to continue the beat down.
    >
    > > Actually electronics is my hobby, it's my only vice so my wife allows
    it.
    > > Besides, I can get back what almost every dollar I shelled out for my
    > > speakers and most of what I spent for my electronics. Good quality
    > > speakers and electronics retain their value for years and years.

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in
    message

    > >> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustratingReview.asp?item=N8

    > >> You are an audiophile. I am a sports fanatic. I will not spend $2000
    on
    > >> a set up when I still have 3 children 5 and under in my house. I will
    > >> spend $2000 on an autographed HOF helmet and jersey from Dan Marino but
    > >> I'll be damned if I will spend that on anything that depreciates as
    > >> quickly as electronics. My WEGA was the most that I have ever spent on
    > >> electronics and the only reason I was allowed to buy that was because
    our
    > >> Toshiba big screen didn't fit next to the fireplace in our living room.
    > >
    > > Screw my kids! I am the only one that matter in my household... ;-)
    >
    > I don't mean that I need to spend that money on my kids, I mean that they
    > are not old enough for me to punch in the stomach for breaking my stuff.
    > don't have to punch my wife because she has a job and can replace them if
    > need be. No such luck with my 1 year old. He just learned to walk and
    put
    > a crack in my WEGA with a f$%#ing Higglytown Hero action figure. After
    > hitting him in the head at long range with a size 11 Reebok, I felt too
    bad
    > to continue the beat down.

    LMAO!
    Thank God I put down my cup before reading the rest of your response.
    My gaming room in the basement is under lock and key. Not even my wife goes
    in there to watch a movie without me setting it up for her. My sons, 14 and
    13, are not allowed in there unless I am in one of the other basement rooms.

    good one :) 'cept my dad ain't too much of a reader 'less its the paper
    (yeeehaawww)... I'll get him something dorky to hang on the wall ....

    "JLC" wrote in message
    > I personally like 480i over 480p for most of my Xbox games. Burnout3 looks
    > great at 480p but RallySport 2 looks horrible. 480p really brings out the
    > jaggies in most of my games. I have a Sony Wega 32" 4:3 HD set and I can't
    > imagine what the games would look like on a really big screen.

    Yep, I'm definetly with you on that. In fact, with the games that strive
    for "photo realism", I prefer playing them not only at 480i but also on a
    standard TV instead on my HDTV (40" 16:9). None of the current consoles are
    powerful enough to really drive HDTV's all that well. Looking forward to
    the next round though!

    Cheers,
    -E

    theOne <theone.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
    > You're not supposed to buy your own father's day present! You kids
    > are supposed to buy you a ridiculous tie or socks to wear at work.

    I always just bought him novels with the most outrageous cover paintings
    on them. Ironically, this actually resulted in giving him some good
    books. The ones he didn't like he could take back to the store and
    exchange for other titles, so it was like giving him a gift certificate
    that didn't fit in an envelope.

    seems as though we have a new "boot". Welcome :)

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:33:47 -0600, "Mattinglyfan"
    <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> Gave us:

    >You are an audiophile. I am a sports fanatic. I will not spend $2000 on a
    >set up when I still have 3 children 5 and under in my house. I will spend
    >$2000 on an autographed HOF helmet and jersey from Dan Marino but I'll be
    >damned if I will spend that on anything that depreciates as quickly as
    >electronics. My WEGA was the most that I have ever spent on electronics and
    >the only reason I was allowed to buy that was because our Toshiba big screen
    >didn't fit next to the fireplace in our living room.

    Sounds like fairly frivolous spending to me...

    PCs depreciate fast.

    Televisions, not nearly so. They are also meant to last longer.

    A bunch of sports memorabilia is a medium to long term investment,
    at best. Apples and oranges.

    Yes, electronics depreciate. You cannot play if you do not pay. It
    won't change, so you need to win the lottery before your mindset will
    allow to spend money on such items. Sad... that mentality.

    I have SEVERAL $300.00 plus "old" video cards from my past PC set
    ups. They get old fast.

    TV's don't

    So friggin what. If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay.

    "TokaMundo" <TokaMundo@weedizgood.org> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:33:47 -0600, "Mattinglyfan"
    > <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> Gave us:
    >

    >>You are an audiophile. I am a sports fanatic. I will not spend $2000 on
    >>set up when I still have 3 children 5 and under in my house. I will spend
    >>$2000 on an autographed HOF helmet and jersey from Dan Marino but I'll be
    >>damned if I will spend that on anything that depreciates as quickly as
    >>electronics. My WEGA was the most that I have ever spent on electronics
    >>and
    >>the only reason I was allowed to buy that was because our Toshiba big
    >>screen
    >>didn't fit next to the fireplace in our living room.
    >>

    > Sounds like fairly frivolous spending to me...
    >
    > PCs depreciate fast.
    >
    > Televisions, not nearly so. They are also meant to last longer.
    >
    > A bunch of sports memorabilia is a medium to long term investment,
    > at best. Apples and oranges.
    >
    > Yes, electronics depreciate. You cannot play if you do not pay. It
    > won't change, so you need to win the lottery before your mindset will
    > allow to spend money on such items. Sad... that mentality.
    >
    > I have SEVERAL $300.00 plus "old" video cards from my past PC set
    > ups. They get old fast.
    >
    > TV's don't
    >
    > So friggin what. If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay.

    Do you even know what we were talking about? You might want to read through
    the whole thread next time because it seems as if you are mixing posts. I
    am well aware of the person I replied to's affinity for electronics. We are
    not strangers. You also completely missed my reasoning for not purchasing
    high-end electronics. Might want to read a little closer next time.

    "theOne" <theone.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > seems as though we have a new "boot". Welcome :)

    Sometimes I think people just change their names because there can't be that
    many different dumb asses on the usenet.

    agreed. I would love to see the cubbies in HD but it's still just a
    novelty right now IMO. I'll wait one more year and than finally make
    the plunge!

    "theOne" wrote in message
    > exactly the reason why i haven't (among so many other obvious reasons
    > [i.e. lack of content, various interfaces, new technological flaws
    > being ironed out, price) purchased an HDTV yet. 480p on most games
    > looks like pixelated dogshit.
    >
    > I'll be looking to get mine around spring of next year.

    Yep. Don't blame you one bit. Voom is gone and D-VHS never caught on.
    Only true HD my HDTV sees is "Discovery HD Theater" and an occassional
    sporting event. "Discovery HD Theater", I have to admit, looks gorgeous but
    how much "American Chopper" and "Trading Places" can anyone take? :^)

    > "theOne" wrote in message
    >> exactly the reason why i haven't (among so many other obvious reasons
    >> [i.e. lack of content, various interfaces, new technological flaws
    >> being ironed out, price) purchased an HDTV yet. 480p on most games
    >> looks like pixelated dogshit.
    >>
    >> I'll be looking to get mine around spring of next year.
    >
    > Yep. Don't blame you one bit. Voom is gone and D-VHS never caught on.
    > Only true HD my HDTV sees is "Discovery HD Theater" and an occassional
    > sporting event. "Discovery HD Theater", I have to admit, looks gorgeous
    > but
    > how much "American Chopper" and "Trading Places" can anyone take? :^)
    >
    > Cheers!
    > -E

    ???What??? You don't have OTA (Over The Air) HD?? Does your TV have an HD
    tuner? If it does, you can pick up your local channels that broadcast in
    HD. I have it and let me tell you, once you see your favorite team/show in
    HD.. There isn't any going back.. I do believe that Wal-mart has some
    add-on HD tuners for about $100. Check them out.

    "An ounce of prevention beats 18 years of child-support"
    Strychnine

    > agreed. I would love to see the cubbies in HD but it's still just a
    > novelty right now IMO. I'll wait one more year and than finally make
    > the plunge!

    Yeah the prices will be even lower then and a lot more stations will be
    broadcasting in HD. You won't regret it.

    "Eras" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message

    > "theOne" wrote in message
    >> exactly the reason why i haven't (among so many other obvious reasons
    >> [i.e. lack of content, various interfaces, new technological flaws
    >> being ironed out, price) purchased an HDTV yet. 480p on most games
    >> looks like pixelated dogshit.
    >>
    >> I'll be looking to get mine around spring of next year.
    >
    > Yep. Don't blame you one bit. Voom is gone and D-VHS never caught on.
    > Only true HD my HDTV sees is "Discovery HD Theater" and an occassional
    > sporting event. "Discovery HD Theater", I have to admit, looks gorgeous
    > but
    > how much "American Chopper" and "Trading Places" can anyone take? :^)
    >
    > Cheers!
    > -E

    I have Comcast HD cable and I get all the network channels in HD (Survivor
    looked amazing this season!)
    Plus a lot of other HD content. I'm very happy with the amount of HD
    programs I can watch and record using my Comcast DVR. I'm glad I didn't wait
    any longer. Once you see HD, that's it baby,analog looks horrible.
    Also the other upside is how great DVD's look in progressive scan. I don't
    have a DVD player that upconverts, but 480P looks pretty damn nice. JLC

    Eras <none@nospam.not> wrote:

    > Yep. Don't blame you one bit. Voom is gone and D-VHS never caught on.
    > Only true HD my HDTV sees is "Discovery HD Theater" and an occassional
    > sporting event. "Discovery HD Theater", I have to admit, looks gorgeous but
    > how much "American Chopper" and "Trading Places" can anyone take? :^)

    Voom died? Why? Seems to me that they were in a position to become the
    next big satellite franchise aimming at the HD market. Were they just too
    early, or did something else go wrong?

    >> Dick, I just bought the Bose 3-2-1 system for Father's Day. Don't talk
    >> about my Bose!
    >
    > *trying to keep a straight face so hard it hurts ;-)*
    > The Bose 3-2-1 system is a decent setup for the price. I am talking about
    > their single speaker tiny ass cube systems. I recently had an addition
    > done to my home. My subwoofer was delivered on the back of a tractor
    > trailer (freight). The workers thought I was having a new oven or fridge
    > delivered. When I told them what it was one of the guys almost fell off
    > his ladder. I took them down into my basement to check out my theater and
    > I did a few demo's for them. They were completely blown awya but there is
    > a catch.....
    >
    > yah ready? ;-)
    > One of the guys told me "just wait until I get my Bose this Fall! I will
    > invite you over so you can have speaker envy." I had to do everything I
    > could not to fall on the floor laughing.
    >
    > That is how brainwashed the public is over Bose.
    > Bose, like Monster, has the public fooled into thinking they are extremely
    > high end.
    > They have made a fortune from the incredible marketing and hype machine.
    > Take you for example :-)

    Funny thing is, they're not even close to being high-end prices, nevermind
    their quality. Ever heard of Wilson speakers and/or Kimber Kable? Kimber's
    highest end cable cost something like $18,000 / 8 ft cable. Now THAT'S high
    end! Oh, and Wilson speakers can easily cost over 6 figures for a 5.1
    setup. Ridiculous.
    --
    Charles C. Shyu
    http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

    "Charles C. Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote in message
    > >> Dick, I just bought the Bose 3-2-1 system for Father's Day. Don't talk
    > >> about my Bose!
    > >
    > > *trying to keep a straight face so hard it hurts ;-)*
    > > The Bose 3-2-1 system is a decent setup for the price. I am talking
    about
    > > their single speaker tiny ass cube systems. I recently had an addition
    > > done to my home. My subwoofer was delivered on the back of a tractor
    > > trailer (freight). The workers thought I was having a new oven or fridge
    > > delivered. When I told them what it was one of the guys almost fell off
    > > his ladder. I took them down into my basement to check out my theater
    and
    > > I did a few demo's for them. They were completely blown awya but there
    is
    > > a catch.....
    > >
    > > yah ready? ;-)
    > > One of the guys told me "just wait until I get my Bose this Fall! I will
    > > invite you over so you can have speaker envy." I had to do everything I
    > > could not to fall on the floor laughing.
    > >
    > > That is how brainwashed the public is over Bose.
    > > Bose, like Monster, has the public fooled into thinking they are
    extremely
    > > high end.
    > > They have made a fortune from the incredible marketing and hype machine.
    > > Take you for example :-)
    >
    > Funny thing is, they're not even close to being high-end prices, nevermind
    > their quality. Ever heard of Wilson speakers and/or Kimber Kable?
    Kimber's
    > highest end cable cost something like $18,000 / 8 ft cable. Now THAT'S
    high
    > end! Oh, and Wilson speakers can easily cost over 6 figures for a 5.1
    > setup. Ridiculous.

    Wilson speakers are "AMAZING" but Kimber and every other "high-end" cable
    manufacturer can stick their prices and product up their ass. Expensive
    cabling is the biggest waste of money in electronics today.

Console Gaming Cable Xbox Video Games