Sign in with
Your question

3.4Ghz Xeon Processors good for gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
August 15, 2012 10:24:05 AM

Hello...
Is the 3.4Ghz Xeon Processor good for high resolution pc games?
what are the downsides of xeon? since i want to purchase pc's for internet cafe business.

please help..
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 15, 2012 10:34:48 AM

Its a waste of money, unless you are getting them very cheaply.

The xeon series are meant for server environments and high end Workstations that need time critical operation and error resistance.
m
l
August 15, 2012 10:41:59 AM

You would want a newer generation of desktop processors, something in the ivy bridge or sandy bridge series will do just fine, i recommend at least an i5 which should last.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2012 10:46:14 AM

hotsauce5 said:
Hello...
Is the 3.4Ghz Xeon Processor good for high resolution pc games?
what are the downsides of xeon? since i want to purchase pc's for internet cafe business.

please help..

It depends what generation you're talking about. One of the Sandy or Ivy Xeons would be good at gaming, they're good at about everything. Even the generation before Sandy. Although you could save yourself hundreds and get an i5 ivy or sandy.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2012 2:02:14 PM

It also depends on which motherboard you are using. For instance the Asus P6T6 WS supports Xeon and also the Evga classified but they are LGA 1366 motherboards. If your motherboard supports Xeon and you can get it at a reasonable price then there should be no problem. If this is a Sandy bridge system I'd say just get the i7 2600K or the 2700K and be done with it.
m
l
August 15, 2012 7:16:39 PM

It'd be a sweet deal to get the EVGA FTW Dual CPU edition. I know Maximum PC used a Dual Xeon CPU setup two years ago as their Dream Machine and it beat the crap out of the 2700K Dream Machine of the following year, in all the CPU heavy benchmarks, but of course the GTX 590 came out the following year and kick the crap out of anything graphics wise from any previous year. 1366 is a good architecture but doesnt support much if any USB 3.0, and especially not with 3.0 PCI-E support, which gaming is mostly Video Card rendered anyway.

I'd personally go with the i5 3570K. It's good for gaming, fast and cheaper than any xeon CPU.
m
l
!